Teac TN300 Motor Speed Adjustment

snap, crackle and pop
hunsbct

Teac TN300 Motor Speed Adjustment

Post by hunsbct » 13 Sep 2015 20:16

Hi everyone, I recently purchased my second turntable, a Teac TN300. It's a huge step up in quality from my former table, an LP60. However, I have encountered one issue which is that it seems to play LPs back about 3-5% too fast.

There are two holes on the bottom of the unit indicating that the H hole corresponds to 45 rpm, and the L to 33 rpm. However, they're not screws or anything, just bits of foam over who-knows-what. Looks like they could be Philips head or flathead screws maybe, but the manual has no info and I'd like to play it safe. I removed the bottom plastic portion to get a closer look, here's a photo: https://i.imgur.com/XyG9XBi.jpg

Does anyone have any info on this? It's not in the manual and Teac is yet to respond to my tech support email.

rcr46

Re: Teac TN300 Motor Speed Adjustment

Post by rcr46 » 13 Sep 2015 20:46

I also have a TN300 and was able to adjust using a "jewelers" 1/16" flat bladed screwdriver, along with the Iphone Turntabulator app. Gently push the blade through the foam, and fiddle around until you feel the slot with the blade. Then turn counter clockwise until you reach the desired result.
Be patient, it takes a lot of turns to reach the desired result, but mine is now spot on, and has stayed so since I adjusted it four months ago.

Bob

hunsbct

Post by hunsbct » 13 Sep 2015 20:58

Thank you so much! I'm certainly going to need the app to get it right, which I didn't know about before.

Big B5515
long player
long player

Post by Big B5515 » 13 Sep 2015 23:15

A free stroboscope to print out is available for download in tools on this site, and would be handy for adjusting the speed. A phone requires an extra hand. These are often difficult to read with compact fluorescent lamps though, and work better with incandescent or LED lighting.

sasalex

Post by sasalex » 15 Oct 2016 14:18

Great post! Saved my TN300 being dumped in the recycling bin out of frustration!

sasalex

Post by sasalex » 01 Jun 2018 15:20

sasalex wrote:Great post! Saved my TN300 being dumped in the recycling bin out of frustration!
Well, tried it several times and it didn't work-out. Downloaded app on Samsung phone shows about +1rpm in average. Every time I tried to adjust the motor, a platter spins out of control, sometimes even ejecting a phone from its top!
Dumpster time!

foxinsox

Post by foxinsox » 02 Jun 2018 01:32

you need to use a screwdriver with an insulated shaft as if the shaft touches the motor casing it will spin up super fast. Just wrap some sellotape around the shaft and you should be fine.

Printed strobe disc and a lamp make it much easier to calibrate as you can do it 'live' just by watching the strobe marks, as long as you have a suitable lamp as Big said. Old style fluorescent tubes work well, easy to make an LED or neon lamp for the same purpose if you are comfortable with basic electronics too.

Spinner45
long player
long player

Post by Spinner45 » 02 Jun 2018 02:50

Those cheap little DC motors are crap for turntables.
They were originally made for cassette deck mechanisms.

They're weak as well.
The only decent way to adjust turntable speed on those cheapies is to play a record with a strobe disk on it, a light bulb or neon bulb near it, and twiddle till the lines stop.
Gotta be done with platter level, and tonearm playing.

Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by Coffee Phil » 03 Jun 2018 07:01

Hi Spinner54,

I will defiantly agree with you on the strobe disc.

On the motor, I would not call them crap. The requirement for a tape deck motor is similar to that of a turntable. To be sure a motor with a frequency generator and servo loop is better, however a simple permenant magnet DC motor with a negative resistance voltage supply can do a credible job. That is what is done in my little Audio Technica Mister Disc and it works fine with decent speed stability.

Phil
Spinner45 wrote:Those cheap little DC motors are crap for turntables.
They were originally made for cassette deck mechanisms.

They're weak as well.
The only decent way to adjust turntable speed on those cheapies is to play a record with a strobe disk on it, a light bulb or neon bulb near it, and twiddle till the lines stop.
Gotta be done with platter level, and tonearm playing.

Mylrea
England

Post by Mylrea » 22 Nov 2018 12:58

Hi, I had the same speed control adjustment problem on my TN-300 after replacing the belt with an unknown aftermarket product for £6.99 from Amazon Marketplace. Immediately noticed the speed was too high and found this thread from a Google search. Good info. here, but to adjust the screws with a jewelers screwdriver, you do need to invert the turntable for access. They are conveniently labelled underneath as well as the direction for +ve and -ve but not 33 and 45rpm directions are opposite to each other.
After much fiddling around with the strop disk from this site, I eventually found that LED lights are the clearest and an old filament bulb was just about ok. But I found an Android App "RPM Speed and WOW" for my Samsung S8 that was brilliant!
After many inversions and subtle tweaks of the screw I got the speed to within +/-0.1% and the WOW to +/-0.1% too. I can't attest to the WOW App accuracy, but when I put the strobe disc back on, along with the App, the strobe was rock steady, so I'm impressed by the speed part at least and both speed and WOW are no withing the manufacturer's spec.
Over time I want to see how good this little motor is. So I will continue to monitor the data.
Initial speed measurements didn't change much over several hours of playing.
I also tried the App and phone in different radial positions on the turntable from directly over the spindle (using a reel of masking tape to support the phone on axis) and out at the periphery. Very small increase in WOW measurement as radius of rotation increases.
If I can find someone with a high end turntable I'm going to see how good their speed control stability is, compared to my Teac.

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 22 Nov 2018 19:11

Really tough to do, finding the slot in the pot. A neon lamp works best.

KentT
long player
long player

Post by KentT » 23 Nov 2018 01:14

This motor is a junk design,. They are prone to issues (and the speed control servo IC is failure prone). Not maintainable with age. I didn't like this type of motor in the late 1970's on a turntable any better (and that's when they were easily had). The AC motors used in Pioneers and CEC built belt drive turntables before these were far superior (and can be repaired and maintained) . They were OK in a cassette deck, but not really on a turntable. A sign of cheap design.

Borghi

Post by Borghi » 19 Feb 2019 18:21

For anyone looking at doing the speed adjustment, here is my experience. I purchased the TN300SE from Amazon for $180. I was looking to stay under $200 as I don't know if my vinyl hobby will prove to be something I stick with. The Teac looked like the best I could do at this price if I wanted new. I know of the issues some others have had with speed variation, but a good number of people have had good luck with the table. I did purchase the Square Trade 3 year warranty. It was cheap and seemed to be a good idea.

When I set up the table I checked the speed with both Apple and Android RPM apps and I was getting 33.3 to 33.4. After the table ran about 8-10 hours the speed climbed up to 33.6. I assume this is due to bearings and belt wearing in. I'm still evaluating the table and not 100% sure I will keep it. I don't care for the lower quality one arm, but it seems to function fine. The cueing lever is pretty bad and not well damped.

I viewed the Fluance video on YouTube for doing speed adjustment. The Teac looks just like the Fluance on the bottom. When I looked into the adjustment holes, I could see some kind of foam covering the holes. I assume this is for dust protection. I decided to remove the lower cover so I could better see what I was dealing with. I could easily poke a paper clip end through the foam and it didn't seem to tear it or damage it. I first tried to use the smallest screwdriver I had and couldn't feel any slot or engagement through the foam. I did happen to touch the shaft of the screwdriver and it did cause the motor speed to increase. I found a smaller screwdriver from an eyeglass repair kit (Dollar Store I think) and the smallest one fit perfectly and I could easily feel the slot immediately. The blade width was 1.5MM or 0.06". This blade size fits perfectly in the adjustment pot. It took only slight movement to change the speed. Again, the speed changes with very slight turning of the pot. I easily dialed it into 33.3-33.4 rpm and I have it set up and running now to be sure the speed stays locked in. An easy job if you have the right tool and follow the Fluance video. Hope this helps someone. Feel free to ask any questions!

Spinner45
long player
long player

Post by Spinner45 » 19 Feb 2019 20:39

All that tinkering around just to change the speed a fraction of an RPM?
I doubt that the average person could hear a difference or would even care about speeds between 33.6 and 33.33 RPM.
Besides, these cheap turntables naturally are built with tolerances that only someone fussy and obsessed with "perfect speed" would be bothered by.
In that case, you buy a more expensive turntable with user-adjustable pitch controls on the outside.