Pioneer PL-450 speed adjustment

snap, crackle and pop
MorrisM

Pioneer PL-450 speed adjustment

Post by MorrisM » 19 Apr 2015 14:56

I have recently decided to fix up my old turntable and listen to my 30 year old vinyl collection. I replaced the belt and cartridge and it is operational. It seemed a little too bright, so I played a CD duplicate of one of my records. The record sounded higher pitched.

To check the turntable speed, I timed it for 10 revolutions and measured 17.2 secs which is 34.88 RPM. So I have 2 questions..

Can a different belt change the rotation speed?
Does the PL-450 have a speed adjustment?

tubewade

Re: Pioneer PL-450 speed adjustment

Post by tubewade » 19 Apr 2015 16:33

Yes, a belt certainly can change the speed. The length affects the tension and can have some effect on speed but the most important factor is the thickness of the belt, especially so in systems that have a large amount of reduction from a very small pulley to a much larger one. This is a major concern when replacing the belt on any belt drive that doesn't have convenient pitch adjustment.

Your deck does have adjustment. There are little trimmers down in the plinth available right close to the motor pulley. You need a long thin flat screwdriver to access them and they can't be adjusted while the table is running, so not the most convenient. You also probably need to print off a strobe disc available in the "Tools" section of our forums so you can more conveniently do the "adjust and check" routine.

Wade

MorrisM

Re: Pioneer PL-450 speed adjustment

Post by MorrisM » 19 Apr 2015 18:59

Thanks Wade.
I printed the 60hz strobe disc but was not able to get it to work. I found the adjustment trimmer under the mat, and used 10 revs in 18 secs to set speed. It's not perfect, but much better than it was.

Morris