Static buildup

snap, crackle and pop
an3azz

Static buildup

Post by an3azz » 18 Apr 2015 08:22

Hello

I have a problem with static build-up on one of my turntables a Pioneer PL-514x deck, it's connected to a Vincent PHO-08 and a Vincent SV-236MkII amp. Everything is grounded properly. When playing a record everything sounds fine, but as soon as I am going to remove the record from the platter and by accident touches the platter with my finger a loud static pop is heard through the speakers. This problem ONLY occurs with the Pioneer deck, and not with my other turntable (Music Hall mmf 2.2)

The Pioneer deck is serviced with new stylus, new phono cable and new ground wire. Everything is put back togheter as it should be (as far as I can remember) and adjusted accordingly to the manual.

Any ideas?

jives11
long player
long player

Re: Static buildup

Post by jives11 » 18 Apr 2015 08:37

I think I'd check the ground wire was secure at the deck. I have also found that excessive static on a record can be caused by poor grounding via the spindle. I don't know if you have a multimeter, if so test the resistance from the spindle to the end of your ground wire. The spindle sits in the main bearing, which is usually brass or alloy and that in turn is grounded via a wire or becuase it's attached to a metal sub platter. Sometimes simply cleaning and relubricating the main bearing with sewing machine oil is enough.

an3azz

Post by an3azz » 18 Apr 2015 09:04

I as well suspected the main spindle, but I havent figured out how it's actually grounded. But I will look into it, thanks a lot. I'll post an update as soon as I torn the deck apart.

an3azz

Post by an3azz » 18 Apr 2015 09:51

It is mounted with a brass bearing inside a plastic house, so there is no grounding for the main spindle, cleaned everything up thoroughly again before putting it all back. The problem still occurs but its significantly less static, I would prefer none though.

jives11
long player
long player

Post by jives11 » 18 Apr 2015 12:41

Is there anyway of attaching a wire to that brass housing and running it to where the earth wire attaches to the chasis ?

an3azz

Post by an3azz » 18 Apr 2015 14:23

If you drill a hole in the plastic housing I guess it would be possible, I'll look into it.

Deano454
Australia

Post by Deano454 » 25 Jan 2020 11:33

:) :( :(
jives11 wrote:
18 Apr 2015 08:37
I think I'd check the ground wire was secure at the deck. I have also found that excessive static on a record can be caused by poor grounding via the spindle. I don't know if you have a multimeter, if so test the resistance from the spindle to the end of your ground wire. The spindle sits in the main bearing, which is usually brass or alloy and that in turn is grounded via a wire or becuase it's attached to a metal sub platter. Sometimes simply cleaning and relubricating the main bearing with sewing machine oil is enough.
l like this I've been told a few times that might be what I need to do with my Dual Direct Drive 617Q.

wolfie62
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by wolfie62 » 25 Jan 2020 20:10

Static charge will conduct easily through a resistance of 1 megohm.

When you discharge a static buildup, you produce a significant EMI signal that can be picked up by your cartridge.

I get that static charge when I walk across the carpet and touch my plinth top when I’m turning the record over. But, I never hear it over my speakers.

All of that to say, I’d check your cartridge grounding first and foremost.