How much did your TT(s) cost?

snap, crackle and pop
Tonybro
long player
long player
Great Britain

Re: How much did your TT(s) cost?

Post by Tonybro » 13 Oct 2019 11:41

Well done, Pauw, another saved for posterity. :-)

SpyderTracks
Great Britain

Post by SpyderTracks » 13 Oct 2019 11:46

bryanpaxson wrote:
13 Oct 2019 05:26
I have a Yamaha YP-D6 that I purchased in 1978 connected to a Yamaha CR-1020 that I purchased at the same time. The TT was $250 and the receiver was $500 if I remember correctly. My wife and I assembled about 300 records consisting of most of the popular artists of the late 60s, 70’s and 80’s. She died and I eventually put everything away when I moved. Recently, I got it all back out and connected up to my Sonos system through their new Port device. I replaced the original Realistic/Shure cart with an AT95E for $49. Quite an improvement. Last week, I ran across a JVC QL-A5 TT that was dead for $10. It had a blown fuse and a worn cart. I moved the AT95E to the JVC and bought a Ortofon 2M Blue for $269 for the YP-D6. I am still fine tuning but I think the Ortofon sounds better than the AT. It should considering the price difference. Even though I have been at this hobby for a long time, I’m 75, I am really on a learning curve since most of the information available back when was in magazines or from the local stereo shop where they were more interested in selling you the next upgrade than giving good advice. Even though some of the current forums may contain some folklore and misinformation, no offense intended to anyone here or on audiokarma or anywhere else, for that matter, there are volumes of wisdom available now on the subject of turntables and cartridges that was generally unavailable to someone like me. This, combined with eBay and Amazon makes this hobby much more fun than it was in the old days.
Love it! I'm a huge fan of Ortofon carts also, cost a bit more but worth it for the detail. Started off with a 2M Blue and then moved up to my Quintet Black S which is just a stunning step up, I will never go back to MC. It's a truly wonderul indulgent hobby and I'm so glad I got into it!

Sterling1
United States of America

Post by Sterling1 » 13 Oct 2019 11:57

bryanpaxson wrote:
I have a Yamaha YP-D6 that I purchased in 1978 connected to a Yamaha CR-1020 that I purchased at the same time. The TT was $250 and the receiver was $500 if I remember correctly. My wife and I assembled about 300 records consisting of most of the popular artists of the late 60s, 70’s and 80’s. She died and I eventually put everything away when I moved. Recently, I got it all back out and connected up to my Sonos system through their new Port device. I replaced the original Realistic/Shure cart with an AT95E for $49. Quite an improvement. Last week, I ran across a JVC QL-A5 TT that was dead for $10. It had a blown fuse and a worn cart. I moved the AT95E to the JVC and bought a Ortofon 2M Blue for $269 for the YP-D6. I am still fine tuning but I think the Ortofon sounds better than the AT. It should considering the price difference. Even though I have been at this hobby for a long time, I’m 75, I am really on a learning curve since most of the information available back when was in magazines or from the local stereo shop where they were more interested in selling you the next upgrade than giving good advice. Even though some of the current forums may contain some folklore and misinformation, no offense intended to anyone here or on audiokarma or anywhere else, for that matter, there are volumes of wisdom available now on the subject of turntables and cartridges that was generally unavailable to someone like me. This, combined with eBay and Amazon makes this hobby much more fun than it was in the old days.
Some of the Asian TT's made in the 70's which did not have adjustable VTA were designed to level 15mm height cartridges from the issued headshell. Your Ortofon cart is 18mm tall so you might want to check to see if the cart is level or if it is tail low when lowered to a record. Of course, if the Yamaha has a VTA adjustment feature you can level the cart; but, if your TT does not have that feature and the cart is indeed tail low, you can buy an Ortofon SH-4 headshell which is designed to level Ortofon 2M series cartridges on TT's originally designed for 15mm carts. They did this because Ortofon carts sound best when they are level over the record, especially the 2M Black.

Sterling1
United States of America

Post by Sterling1 » 13 Oct 2019 17:03

SpyderTracks wrote:
13 Oct 2019 11:46
bryanpaxson wrote:
Love it! I'm a huge fan of Ortofon carts also, cost a bit more but worth it for the detail. Started off with a 2M Blue and then moved up to my Quintet Black S which is just a stunning step up, I will never go back to MC. It's a truly wonderul indulgent hobby and I'm so glad I got into it!
You say you will never go back to MC. The Quintet Black is MC. Did you mean to say you will never go back to MM?

SpyderTracks
Great Britain

Post by SpyderTracks » 13 Oct 2019 17:21

Sterling1 wrote:
13 Oct 2019 17:03
SpyderTracks wrote:
13 Oct 2019 11:46
bryanpaxson wrote:
You say you will never go back to MC. The Quintet Black is MC. Did you mean to say you will never go back to MM?
Sorry, yes, absolutely, meant won't go back to moving magnet! Thanks for pointing that out!

bryanpaxson
United States of America

Post by bryanpaxson » 13 Oct 2019 20:02

My Yamaha does not have adjustable VTA, however, I purchased the 2M Blue mounted to a SH-4 headshell so I think I am okay. Thanks for the advice though.

Sterling1
United States of America

Post by Sterling1 » 14 Oct 2019 12:29

bryanpaxson wrote:
13 Oct 2019 20:02
My Yamaha does not have adjustable VTA, however, I purchased the 2M Blue mounted to a SH-4 headshell so I think I am okay. Thanks for the advice though.
Your cart should be perfectly level with the SH-4; but, if it's not level, it is likely to be tail high and thus shimming can level it out.

Joeystarr55
American Samoa

Post by Joeystarr55 » 14 Oct 2019 20:49

My Scott's PS-48 turntable was $35.00from a audio store that was moving. My second turntable was a Kenwood KD-2000 off e-bay was $50.00 plus $43.00 shipping. All it needed was a $12.99 belt for a total of 105.99.
Attachments
IMG_3764.JPG
(105.99 KiB) Downloaded 122 times
IMG_1956.JPG
(111.88 KiB) Downloaded 121 times

Kashofa
United States of America

Post by Kashofa » 15 Oct 2019 04:24

vinyl master wrote:
02 Oct 2019 03:20

By any chance, have you lubricated the motor? That's one major area you could focus on, if you haven't...I will also say that if you want to give it another go, you should contact our own Don about the Dual kit he sells, if you haven't already...Don's (member mrow2 here) kit is worth the purchase JUST for the informative PDF file he includes that explains more in detail on refurbishing and restoring these old Duals than I can go into on one post...Of course, he also includes a sample of the right Alvania grease and a proper steuerpimpel or two...You could PM him for more details and the purchase helps him to keep making these kits for all the Dual newbies out there...It might be just what the doctor ordered! :wink:
The 1019 is in good shape now; speed corrected by lubricating the motor bearings.

To answer the original question, I bought this Dual for $100. I’ve added a new headshell, had the idler wheel rebuilt, and replaced the cables. And I’ve used a box of qtips and 1/3 bottle of alcohol :) Altogether the total may be $200. I still need to get a good 78 cartridge.

I’ve seen this word in a few discussions but I have no idea what it is... what is a “steuerpimpel”?

T68
Sweden

Post by T68 » 15 Oct 2019 13:23

The other day I won a Lenco B52 in an online auction here in Sweden. Paid approximately $30 for it.
Tomorrow when I collect it and see what state it´s, in I will know if it was an ok deal or not. :)
(I was the only bidder - so maybe the others knew something I didn´t...)
b52_au1.jpg
(97.16 KiB) Downloaded 105 times
b52_au2.jpg
(72.31 KiB) Downloaded 104 times
(pictures from the auctioneer)

SonnyB
Great Britain

Post by SonnyB » 16 Oct 2019 00:25

Lol if you’ve got any idea of the answer to that you’re really not in deep enough. :)

nac
New Zealand

Post by nac » 17 Oct 2019 07:44

hi ,

just dipping toes in direct drive tt
Reloop turn 5
Mofi studiotracker cart
Mofi phono
sounds great
$2000 all up

T68
Sweden

Post by T68 » 17 Oct 2019 11:51

The B52 landed yesterday and I'm happy to say it's in good shape for a fifty year old deck.
Nothing broke or lost. Runs and plays. Only real issue is a weird phono Din connector pinout that doesn't work with my riaa preamp (got one dead channel). RCA conversation will take care of that in blink.
Then there's the usual cleaning, relubing and idler fixes required of course. But all and all looks like 30 bucks well spent :-).

British Raj
England

Post by British Raj » 17 Oct 2019 18:49

1980s Rega P2 with a P250 tonearm - £180
Rega White Belt Upgrade - £20
An original Arcam P77 Cartridge that has been pampered by me with a Low Mass Paratrace Diamond Stylus - £112 (Plus 1 Spare that i also got re-tipped by Expert Stylus, Surrey)

Wont go into Amp, Speakers as this is about TTs.

cockey
England

Post by cockey » 19 Oct 2019 00:29

I have been collecting hi-fi off and on for over 40 years now and it still gives me a buzz just the same as when I was a teenager venturing forth in the mid-70's buying my first kit. Over the years you do make naive mistakes as everyone does but you learn which is the most important thing. It does drive my missus absolutely mad though!

Currently:

Technics SL-Q3 with Shure M95ED Cartridge

Technics SL-110 with SME 3009 S2 arm and Shure V15 III cartridge

Technics SL-1500 with SME 3009 S2 arm and Ortofon SL-15 Cartridge

Garrard GT55P with Shure M95ED Cartridge

Garrard Zero 100 SB with Shure M75ED Cartridge

Garrard SP25 Mk V with Shure M75ED Cartridge

Sony PS-X60 with Stanton 681EEE Cartridge

Akai AP-206C with Akai PC-100 Cartridge

BSR MP-60 with Goldring G800 Cartridge