How much did your TT(s) cost?

snap, crackle and pop
lizabelle

Re: How much did your TT(s) cost?

Post by lizabelle » 09 Oct 2018 01:36

main one right now: VPI Scout Jr. Grado Reference platinum about USD $1800.00
also: Luxman PD264 Shure m97, 275.00 , Yamaha PX2 40.00 needs repair, project debut III 299.00 not working from day one, Thorens td165 275.00 plus several others .......have 5000 LPs, and VPI cleaner

rmae
United States of America

Post by rmae » 15 Oct 2018 07:11

Yamaha P-320 - very decent full auto belt drive with Dust Cover (won't stay up) - $40
Yamaha P-320 with Audio Technica Technicraft TC-150EP cartridge with Dust Cover/working hinges - $50
Yamaha P-520 - direct drive with Audio Technica Series VIII cartridge w-Shibata stylus - $0, given to me by a friend

I'm doing a lot of quality listening for very little $$ spent, which is a gas.

Sterling1
United States of America

Post by Sterling1 » 15 Oct 2018 13:09

50813_1_[1].jpg
(52.1 KiB) Downloaded 354 times
I like your Technics Turntable. I do not like the review you linked to. It generalized that turntables which cost about $2000 perform as good as a turntable can perform, getting all there is to get from the groove. I'll buy that; but, what sets the Technics apart from others and makes it more compelling than others is its ability to quickly attach and detach cartridges and run any of them at the proper VTA. In addition, the Technics is noted for speed stability and its feet which may be precisely leveled. Other features like pitch control, cueing light, and on some models, the ability to play 78's in addition to 45's and 33's make the Technics quite compelling. I bought the SL-1210GR back in July and have been very pleased. I do not think I am missing anything in performance or convenience.

BUSTO-2

Post by BUSTO-2 » 17 Oct 2018 05:04

Just bought two TD-160 turntables, both for $500.00 total. One is missing a cartridge and cover. Getting back into vinyl, as I have an extensive collection of all types of music. Ive been too busy raising a family, and resorted to using tapes and CDs for ease of use and to keep the kids from damaging equipment and records.

tlscapital
long player
long player
Belgium

Post by tlscapital » 17 Oct 2018 12:04

Sterling1 wrote:
15 Oct 2018 13:09
...I do not like the review you linked to. It generalized that turntables which cost about $2000 perform as good as a turntable can perform, getting all there is to get from the groove...
But I am afraid that any good to better turntable baring such features and performance will come to such a cost and even more. After doing all my tweaks DIY on my vintage $500 Thorens and SME tonearm to look and perform as it is today (way better than any Technics I've had to hear) it costed me $2.000 all in all (cart incl.) to my surprise even...

Considering I am not into the fancy stuffs or the "bling-bling" category of phono gear, I just can't figure how for less money you can't either build or tweak a good "vintage" turntable for supposedly less money or buy a prefab corporate "fair" performer like the SL-1200's... Sad but true. And some do tweak and or improve the PSU of those SL-1200's...
Sterling1 wrote:
what sets the Technics apart from others and makes it more compelling than others is its ability to quickly attach and detach cartridges and run any of them at the proper VTA. In addition, the Technics is noted for speed stability and its feet which may be precisely leveled. Other features like pitch control, cueing light, and on some models, the ability to play 78's in addition to 45's and 33's make the Technics quite compelling. I bought the SL-1210GR back in July and have been very pleased. I do not think I am missing anything in performance or convenience.
But other turntables actually have such features. But maybe only few of the better ones with such pitch amplitudes... Who needs that really but some scratch/mixers dude/dame ? And the VTA on those SL-1200 is often a pain and/or stuck/broken... making the VTA adjustment a real issue in my DJ experiences. The tonearm is not great at all IMO.

Sterling1
United States of America

Post by Sterling1 » 18 Oct 2018 13:20

tlscapital wrote:
17 Oct 2018 12:04
Sterling1 wrote:
...I do not like the review you linked to. It generalized that turntables which cost about $2000 perform as good as a turntable can perform, getting all there is to get from the groove...
But I am afraid that any good to better turntable baring such features and performance will come to such a cost and even more. After doing all my tweaks DIY on my vintage $500 Thorens and SME tonearm to look and perform as it is today (way better than any Technics I've had to hear) it costed me $2.000 all in all (cart incl.) to my surprise even...

Considering I am not into the fancy stuffs or the "bling-bling" category of phono gear, I just can't figure how for less money you can't either build or tweak a good "vintage" turntable for supposedly less money or buy a prefab corporate "fair" performer like the SL-1200's... Sad but true. And some do tweak and or improve the PSU of those SL-1200's...
Sterling1 wrote:
what sets the Technics apart from others and makes it more compelling than others is its ability to quickly attach and detach cartridges and run any of them at the proper VTA. In addition, the Technics is noted for speed stability and its feet which may be precisely leveled. Other features like pitch control, cueing light, and on some models, the ability to play 78's in addition to 45's and 33's make the Technics quite compelling. I bought the SL-1210GR back in July and have been very pleased. I do not think I am missing anything in performance or convenience.
But other turntables actually have such features. But maybe only few of the better ones with such pitch amplitudes... Who needs that really but some scratch/mixers dude/dame ? And the VTA on those SL-1200 is often a pain and/or stuck/broken... making the VTA adjustment a real issue in my DJ experiences. The tonearm is not great at all IMO.
Right now my Technics, fitted with a Shure V15V-MR, gets LP sound as distortion-less as CDs of same material, that satisfies me enough that I have no interest in pursuing anything implied to be better. I also got this performance from my 43 year Sony PS-4750 with same cartridge. That cartridge is of course no longer made and the Micro Ridge Stylus for it has been discontinued too. This lead me to purchasing the Technics, realizing a new cartridge of modern design when needed might be tail low mounted to Sony, and with no means to adjust VTA, I might not realize the best performance. The Technics was an answer. It accomodates my Shure with a 2mm spacer and with its adjustable VTA, it accomodates greater height cartridges which I have an interest in, like the Ortofon 2M Black. Done Deal. The cueing light, leveling feet, pitch control, and 78 speed access were icing on the cake. The only other turntable that attracted me BTW was the Rega 6. It costs about what I paid for the Technics but does not have features which are must haves for me, like VTA adjustment and detachable headshell. I looked at other offerings too in the price range of the Technics but I could not find any which had all of the features present on the Technics; but, maybe you can show me? At any rate, the review which the poster linked was a lousy review, no substance at all and that was my complaint.

tlscapital
long player
long player
Belgium

Post by tlscapital » 18 Oct 2018 16:03

Sterling1 wrote:
18 Oct 2018 13:20
...what sets the Technics apart from others...
At first I was actually reacting to this statement of the them toward all the rest... I understand it that way. That is what you wrote. Sorry but it sounds rather vindictive and it's typical of the "Techies" stand point of view we hear too much.

Nothing personal here. Also I wanted to point out that to have a performing turntable (all included; tonearm...) worthwile on every aspect (speed, sound and mass), it has to come to a cost I can't hardly imagine below $2.000 at any retail price.
Sterling1 wrote:
Right now my Technics... satisfies me enough that I have no interest in pursuing anything implied to be better. ...I looked at other offerings too in the price range of the Technics but I could not find any which had all of the features present on the Technics; but, maybe you can show me?
One turntable owner satisfaction is the aim. I was OK-ified with SL-1200 & Co. for decades. Yet now I can say that I am satisfied with my now-now phono gear (see signature). The difference is that big to my ears that I won't turn back to DD's.

It wasn't indeed a purchased "plug & play" kind of journey but it took a lot of time, studying and tweaking and funding (am not rich) and I know and understand that not everybody wants to do. New, worry-less product is "the" other approach to it.

So sorry (again), but if only the Techies wouldn't dish out so much hype on the SL-1200's worship, I wouldn't mind as to why one just loves them. But the infatuation there is not so close to the truth at all time I believe and have experienced.

There are surely other tables who have most of those features you need... But do you need that much pitch ? The 78rpm on such a light effective mass tonearm leaves me doubtfull of the tracking ability for any high compliant cartridge there...

Yet you might like the "sound signature" of the SL-1200 and it's tonearm performance with your actual cartridge and that is absolutely respectable. Only I am not anymore. But I am/have a kinda special and demanding ear "character" :mrgreen:

Sterling1
United States of America

Post by Sterling1 » 18 Oct 2018 17:13

tlscapital wrote:
18 Oct 2018 16:03
Sterling1 wrote:
...what sets the Technics apart from others...
At first I was actually reacting to this statement of the them toward all the rest... I understand it that way. That is what you wrote. Sorry but it sounds rather vindictive and it's typical of the "Techies" stand point of view we hear too much.

Nothing personal here. Also I wanted to point out that to have a performing turntable (all included; tonearm...) worthwile on every aspect (speed, sound and mass), it has to come to a cost I can't hardly imagine below $2.000 at any retail price.
Sterling1 wrote:
Right now my Technics... satisfies me enough that I have no interest in pursuing anything implied to be better. ...I looked at other offerings too in the price range of the Technics but I could not find any which had all of the features present on the Technics; but, maybe you can show me?
One turntable owner satisfaction is the aim. I was OK-ified with SL-1200 & Co. for decades. Yet now I can say that I am satisfied with my now-now phono gear (see signature). The difference is that big to my ears that I won't turn back to DD's.

It wasn't indeed a purchased "plug & play" kind of journey but it took a lot of time, studying and tweaking and funding (am not rich) and I know and understand that not everybody wants to do. New, worry-less product is "the" other approach to it.

So sorry (again), but if only the Techies wouldn't dish out so much hype on the SL-1200's worship, I wouldn't mind as to why one just loves them. But the infatuation there is not so close to the truth at all time I believe and have experienced.

There are surely other tables who have most of those features you need... But do you need that much pitch ? The 78rpm on such a light effective mass tonearm leaves me doubtfull of the tracking ability for any high compliant cartridge there...

Yet you might like the "sound signature" of the SL-1200 and it's tonearm performance with your actual cartridge and that is absolutely respectable. Only I am not anymore. But I am/have a kinda special and demanding ear "character" :mrgreen:
Having or showing a strong or unreasoning desire for revenge is the definition of vindictive. I don't see how you get that emotion from "sets itself apart from others", whether you read that comment as fact, informed, or uninformed opinion. At any rate, this forum is hobby stuff, should be fun, for all. I'm having fun with it, how about you? Here's a pic of my system, totally satisfied. Most of it 20 to 40 years old. My most prized components are the pair of Sony PCM-7010F's.
42519946935_3bd366e347_z.jpg
(62.17 KiB) Downloaded 203 times

tlscapital
long player
long player
Belgium

Post by tlscapital » 19 Oct 2018 10:31

Sterling1 wrote:
18 Oct 2018 17:13
Having or showing a strong or unreasoning desire for revenge is the definition of vindictive. I don't see how you get that emotion from "sets itself apart from others", whether you read that comment as fact, informed, or uninformed opinion. At any rate, this forum is hobby stuff, should be fun, for all. I'm having fun with it, how about you? Here's a pic of my system, totally satisfied...
In context I refered to 'vindictive' more like in this citation; Examples of vindictive in a Sentence: And though his [John Simon's] caustic wit can sometimes sound more personally vindictive than objectively critical, it allows him to plow through a lot of literary pretentiousness. — Andrea Barnet, New York Times Book Review, 19 Mar. 1989

Am a record collector, not an audiophile or even less a tech geek. So enjoying music, crate digging and record collecting has always been a passion on my side. More than a hobby for me; a dedication and to party home alone or with friends and outside I still dig. Even more so today with that phono gear I have DIY tweaked and improved.

So the quest to do justice to my ever beloved vintage MONO 45rpm's records has always been a "wonder" and before one can have it's fun in full there, it's a long way to figure out, understand and fund. So it took me that time to get where I am with my phono gear. Most of my collectors friends are more regardless of their phono playback quality.

Yet when they hear their records on my set-up, they go WOW ! And they understand that I can have a ball home alone just listening to my records. As I said I am not rich and so have to do with "ingenuity" as it is the mother of necessity and that takes blood, sweat and tears in the process but when succeded; satisfaction, pride and pleasure.

Sterling1
United States of America

Post by Sterling1 » 19 Oct 2018 11:42

tlscapital wrote:
19 Oct 2018 10:31
Sterling1 wrote:
18 Oct 2018 17:13
Having or showing a strong or unreasoning desire for revenge is the definition of vindictive. I don't see how you get that emotion from "sets itself apart from others", whether you read that comment as fact, informed, or uninformed opinion. At any rate, this forum is hobby stuff, should be fun, for all. I'm having fun with it, how about you? Here's a pic of my system, totally satisfied...
In context I refered to 'vindictive' more like in this citation; Examples of vindictive in a Sentence: And though his [John Simon's] caustic wit can sometimes sound more personally vindictive than objectively critical, it allows him to plow through a lot of literary pretentiousness. — Andrea Barnet, New York Times Book Review, 19 Mar. 1989

Am a record collector, not an audiophile or even less a tech geek. So enjoying music, crate digging and record collecting has always been a passion on my side. More than a hobby for me; a dedication and to party home alone or with friends and outside I still dig. Even more so today with that phono gear I have DIY tweaked and improved.

So the quest to do justice to my ever beloved vintage MONO 45rpm's records has always been a "wonder" and before one can have it's fun in full there, it's a long way to figure out, understand and fund. So it took me that time to get where I am with my phono gear. Most of my collectors friends are more regardless of their phono playback quality.

Yet when they hear their records on my set-up, they go WOW ! And they understand that I can have a ball home alone just listening to my records. As I said I am not rich and so have to do with "ingenuity" as it is the mother of necessity and that takes blood, sweat and tears in the process but when succeded; satisfaction, pride and pleasure.
Interestingly enough, I have some 45's, actually downloads from the iTunes Store of DOO WOP songs. I have these on a playlist and enjoy playing them via Bluetooth portable speaker while barbequing with family and friends. The other day I fed those songs from iTunes on my laptop to my OPPOs usbDAC which delivered the songs to my home theatre system. The songs were all they could be, really sounded spectacular; however, the usbDAC also revealed the not so good mastering of those DOO WOP tunes. Fun stuff.

tlscapital
long player
long player
Belgium

Post by tlscapital » 19 Oct 2018 13:26

Evidently I understand the "fun" and "light" passive listening time. More so outdoor where musical accoustic is "non-existant" and the smell of the barbecue and the "cheers" parasites the senses. This is entertainement music or "muzak" as some call it. So in those care-free moments where alcool rules the movement coordination and sticky fingers do the handling, the "click" cueing on a laptop is less hazardous as well.

Digitalisation is always a "downgrade" in my book. And my ears are discerning enough to know what they want. And with my now dynamic, clear and neutral MONO phono set-up, I manage to get a 2-D soundtsage presentation that suddenly defeats all (or about) of my ex-beloved "old" re-issues as the digitalisation process is now distinctive and loses over the pure analog "kick" of the original pressing. Such is my price to pay.

Likely those !Tunes mp3 format downloads where processed directly from the original records or later remasterings that won't show those recording sessions at their best. Since the seventies and the egemony of the STEREO and the "lush" seeked sound, most that was re-issued got a "smoothering" re-mastering to suve the dreaded electronically stereolization of everything. Result is loss of musicality all in all for most records.

Now the better thought re-masterings (there's few out there) of today sadly still suffer the digital stage for cost cut factor. And so do not compete with the original records to my ears. Even not so great mastered records I have (Lo-Fi recordings, masterings and/or pressings) do play "descent" on my gear. Admitting one is not too sensitive to "noises" inherent of those old records that also had a life before me. Have you ever heard 78rpms bustin'out ?

Old recordings and records do not mean necessarly Lo-Fi. But it's another "Fi" and they do benefit from the proper phono gear here and there. Hence my long time and inquiring quest in my phono gear to end up with a mix of "old" and "new" gear not to fall into the stereotyped "tube" sound. That is pleasant, warm and round, but doesn't reveal the most out of a record. My vintage MC cartridge and modern solid state preamp do a good match !

JoeE SP9
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by JoeE SP9 » 23 Oct 2018 23:31

Come on guys. It's a well known fact 7" 45's were mastered to sound good on the cheapest "record players" out there. The same applies to a lot of 33's that were mastered to sound good on the car radio. If you don't know what Auratones are you should do a little research.

I have no real idea how much my TT costs. I bought it in new 1984. Since then I've replaced the bearing, platter and tonearm. I've also added an SDS. The changes were made over a long period of time.

tlscapital
long player
long player
Belgium

Post by tlscapital » 24 Oct 2018 12:57

JoeE SP9 wrote:
23 Oct 2018 23:31
Come on guys. It's a well known fact 7" 45's were mastered to sound good on the cheapest "record players" out there. The same applies to a lot of 33's that were mastered to sound good on the car radio.
Yes, I am here. Imagine that if those inteded mastered records sound good on cheap gear, just imagine how amazing they can sound on a better and bigger adequate set-up. Such was my quest on little money and developpements with my DIY tweaks.
JoeE SP9 wrote:
23 Oct 2018 23:31
If you don't know what Auratones are you should do a little research.
I didn't know what Auratones were. Now I've read about them. Still haven't heard them and don't feel the need to. Though as an entry "easy solution" for young vintage records collectors, they should be "compliant" enough to forgive unfit groove read.

JoeE SP9
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by JoeE SP9 » 24 Oct 2018 14:16

I don't think anyone posting here would be interested in hearing them. I've heard them and IMO Thrusters sound better. If you're curious buy a cheap alarm clock/radio and give it a listen. It's an acceptable substitute for Auratones.

They are IMO horribly overpriced.

luckybaer

Post by luckybaer » 27 Oct 2018 00:08

My TT cost more than my DAC, a little more than my headphone amp, almost half as much as my phono stage, and for what it cost, I could buy a package including my bookshelf speakers, 2.1 integrated amp, and CD player.