How much did your TT(s) cost?

snap, crackle and pop
meaty_urologist

Re: How much did your TT(s) cost?

Post by meaty_urologist » 11 Sep 2018 03:25

i paid $40 for a ‘78 pioneer sx-880, pl-560, the dual cassette deck that matched the set (i can’t rememeber the model)and a stack of records from the original owner 2yrs ago. everything was (and still is) immaculate.
i sold most of the records to a local record shop for $48. i traded the tape deck that had a faulty belt or something- and besides, who needs a tape player- for a reissue of “nevermind”. so he paid me $8 to take it off him and i got an amazing record, too.
i feel like i did pretty well.

Randy Bassham

Post by Randy Bassham » 15 Sep 2018 16:07

Last week I bought a Dual 1019, Dual 1214, Garrard Zero 100, and a very heavy Sansui all with dust covers a couple are missing cartridges all for $92. My daily drivers at this time are a BIC 920 I bought for $10 with a Shure M91ED and a Sony PS-X40 with an Empire 2000Z that I paid $35 for at least 10-12 years ago. Of course these all came needing a good cleaning and relube. There's probably 20 more turntables and changers in the queue awaiting service.

crisis
Australia

Post by crisis » 17 Sep 2018 12:43

This is probably "it" for a while.
Australian $
SRM Arezzo w/- detachable arm base including Rega RB220 arm - $1400
Origin Live Structural upgrade for Rega arm - $159
Audio Technica VM540ML cartridge - $336
Schitt Mani phono stage - $269
Audio Principe interconnect - $50
Custom made plastic cover - $200
total - $2414
Everything is expensive in Australia altogether I did get a good deal on the Arezzo and arm.
Attachments
DSC_1336sm.jpg
(363.4 KiB) Downloaded 356 times
DSC_1338sm.jpg
(385 KiB) Downloaded 354 times

mistral47

Post by mistral47 » 17 Sep 2018 22:12

HiFi Newbie and just starting this spring

Yamaha YP-511 $95 (USD) Two headshells, original and ADC cartridges Audio technica... - Purchased in spring 2018
Yamaha YP D3 $45 (USD) With SME headshell, Shure V15Type III Cartridge and Shure VN35MR Needle - Purchased in spring 2018
Marantz 6350Q Stock headshell and cartridge no needle $20 USD - Purchased in spring 2018

Boltonator

Post by Boltonator » 18 Sep 2018 01:16

I have a Pro-Ject 2xperience which was $1300NZD. I have an Audio Technica AT15S cartridge that cost me $320 with the original needle which I replaced with a $250USD jico shibata.

I had a Pioneer PL-L800 which i technically still own until my local shop is able to sell it. I bought it for $270 NZD plus freight. I had the AT15s on it but am selling it with an AT11

GuitarJamMan

Post by GuitarJamMan » 18 Sep 2018 04:18

bought a mint Marantz 6350Q 10 years ago for $100 in an estate sale with only one owner. He must have just have been a collector because there's no signs of wear and all the capacitors were in spec

Peter4103

Post by Peter4103 » 18 Sep 2018 21:46

I have the Technics SP10MK2, which is a bit of a pricy player these days:

Prices in Euro:
Technics SP10mk2 + power unit 1,000
Acounstand SP10 plinth + cover (hand made in the UK) 650
Technics EPA 500 tonearm 900
Extra Technics EPA 501 armwand 400
Audio Technica AT 33Sa cart 800
Audio Technica AT 6160 feet 200

So a total spend of 3.950 Euro (about USD 4500) on this great turntable. Basically it is a bargain compared to the SP10r! :wink:

nikkita_katana
Great Britain

Post by nikkita_katana » 19 Sep 2018 02:10

Hi, today I got a Pioneer pl-12d for £43. First turntable I've bought myself. Last record player was a 13th birthday present off mum and in the early 80's!!
Anyway, the pioneer has an adc magnesium headshell with Goldring elektra cartridge. And it's been happily spinning away most of today after sitting in someone's garage for 10 years.
:)

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 19 Sep 2018 06:30

nikkita_katana wrote:Hi, today I got a Pioneer pl-12d for £43. First turntable I've bought myself. Last record player was a 13th birthday present off mum and in the early 80's!!
Anyway, the pioneer has an adc magnesium headshell with Goldring elektra cartridge. And it's been happily spinning away most of today after sitting in someone's garage for 10 years.
:)
Now that's what I'd call a nice gift there, nikkita_katana! I have a PL-12D II that came with an ADC cartridge...It also works nicely with a Shure M91ED...I just think these are classic players and perfect for someone like yourself rediscovering vinyl or even a "grizzled veteran" of the format like myself who loves classic design, great sound and is intent on preserving their old records from damage! I'd love to see a picture of it, if you have one! =D>

Might I also suggest visiting a local record shop near you really soon and christening it off with a brand new record? It doesn't have to be BRAND NEW brand new, but "new to you"! Maybe there's an album you've always wanted...It's possible that your most wanted album has been released on vinyl at some point and would be a perfect addition to the collection...By the way, I also have pretty much all of my old records from the 70's and 80's...How many would you say you have so far? :-k

nikkita_katana
Great Britain

Post by nikkita_katana » 19 Sep 2018 12:41

Thanks vinyl master.
Actually I've already hit ebay for a couple of Suzanne Vega albums. And apparently the copy I have coming of her debut is unplayed!! So I guess that's pretty close to old brand new. :D
And I will be checking out some local second hand shops too, Bristol has a few and I also have quite a few dj friends who can tell me where's worth looking.
Don't have that many records from way back when, about 30 and a Readers Digest box set cos, well, every home should have one, lol. Couple are a bit battered and bruised, let's just say I take better care of things nowadays.

How would I go about getting a picture up? I'd say the pioneer is mostly tidy but with a bit of oxidising on edge of platter and the headshell could do with a few minutes with an airbrush.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 20 Sep 2018 00:33

nikkita_katana wrote: How would I go about getting a picture up? I'd say the pioneer is mostly tidy but with a bit of oxidising on edge of platter and the headshell could do with a few minutes with an airbrush.
Go to the User Control Panel in the left hand corner and click on where it should say "1 new message"...I've sent you a PM (private message) with more instructions there...Hope that helps! :D

nikkita_katana
Great Britain

Post by nikkita_katana » 20 Sep 2018 01:34

Thanks for the message Vinyl master. Found the bit to attach files once I clicked on the full edit tab.

Here's my new likkle babie.
It came with the lid by the way but doesn't fit in that gap with the hinges on. But it can be squeezed back on after use. :)
Attachments
8379.jpg
(90.83 KiB) Downloaded 663 times
8394.jpg
(139.8 KiB) Downloaded 655 times

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 20 Sep 2018 05:51

It looks quite stylish there, nikkita_katana! I also dig the Technics amp underneath it...What does your whole system look like in regards to amplifier and tuner or receiver, speakers, etc.? How does the Goldring sound to you? I've never owned one, so I was just curious... :-k

In any case, the Pioneer looks to be in great shape and the Suzanne Vega albums should be a nice treat...If you're a fan, look for her on the "Pretty In Pink" soundtrack...

If you want her, you can find her! :wink:

Two more of my favorites include "Book Of Dreams" from the "Days Of Open Hand" album and "Widow's Walk" from "Songs In Red And Gray"...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAWGw8meEDE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytqaFefr-5I

After "99.9F°", her vinyl offerings significantly dropped..."99.9F°" was featured on a foreign pressing...If somebody wants to remedy something, the follow-ups "Nine Objects Of Desire" and "Songs In Red And Gray" did not get a proper vinyl release... :( Her albums have appeared on vinyl, since 2007's "Beauty & Crime", though!

Interestingly, "Tom's Diner" did not get a proper single release from the record label here in the States when it became a hit due to the DNA remix, but Collectables did remedy that with this one...

https://www.discogs.com/Suzanne-Vega-To ... se/1804231

There are so many good highlights in her catalog of music, if you're a fan! 8)

nikkita_katana
Great Britain

Post by nikkita_katana » 20 Sep 2018 13:39

The su-vx600 is a recent addition. Had a Musical Fidelity Tempest for about 15 yrs which my old 8g Kuro is now plugged into for a bit of extra width. Music wise there's a Marantz cd48 and the Technics amp is plugged into a pair of Wharfedale Delta 30.2's I bought new in 1984 and they're now suddenly kicking and thumping and singing their little hearts out. And the speakers were the most expensive item of the lot!! lol.
I have no idea how good the Elektra is cos my records have never been played on anything decent before. But compared to the past, albums like u2's Joshua Tree now sound absolutely amazing. I did set aside a few quid for a new cartridge (was thinking maybe the audio technica 95e after looking at reviews here and it'd also be somewhere near my budget) but I reckon I'm going to be better off buying some new records instead for now. :)
Just had a quick play of Status Quo's 12 gold bars since I have it on cd and vinyl and there's maybe less bass on the turntable but I'm not sure if there's that much of a noticeable difference to my ears.
When the Suzanne Vega gets here I'll do some more comparison listening cos I've been playing her Retrospective album lots on cd lately.

And yayyy for Pretty in Pink!! nice link :)

jim_newland

Post by jim_newland » 23 Sep 2018 07:41

I bought my Michelle Prisma table for 1200 dollars used.So far I have spent another 1000 dollars getting it setup.Realigned the arm and installed a Grado gold pickup,made a wooden base after getting rid of the original base.So far the unit has cost just over 2000 dollars Cdn.
Attachments
IMG_0529.JPG
(212.96 KiB) Downloaded 580 times