How much did your TT(s) cost?

snap, crackle and pop
neomagic666

Re: How much did your TT(s) cost?

Post by neomagic666 » 11 Jul 2018 19:22

Well I am very new (this time around), to listening to my old record collection and I was lucky enough to get a lovely vintage JVC QL-A51 for the price of postage - a tenner. It has a Nagaoka MP10 cartridge, has cleaned up a treat and with thanks to the guides on here I now have it set up playing beautifully. I know it is not a patch on most of the decks listed on this thread but I feel very lucky and I am loving the sound of my vinyl for the first time in over 15 years or more.
Attachments
IMG_20180711_181732.jpg

dB12

Post by dB12 » 12 Jul 2018 12:22

neomagic666 wrote: I know it is not a patch on most of the decks listed on this thread but I feel very lucky and I am loving the sound of my vinyl for the first time in over 15 years or more.

That's what it's all about. Enjoy!

Aj23

Post by Aj23 » 14 Jul 2018 04:00

Pro-ject genie 1.3. My wife found it for me in the classifieds at $250 australian. Half the price of the new one i was going to pick up. Left me with some record shopping money.

drsiebling

Post by drsiebling » 20 Jul 2018 23:25

Current table is heavily modded - I’ve been running it since 2009.

Systemdeck IIx with Rega RB300 arm and Rega Exact Cartridge - $375
Audio Note Acrylic Platter Upgrade - $200
Mose / Hercules external PSU - $300
Ceramic Bearing - $20
Alphason Xenon MCS Tonearm - $200 (score!)
J7 Audio Origami tonearm rewire and refurb - $200
Denon DL-103r cartridge, AU300 SUT, Project Tube Box - $300
Brass counterweight $20
Aluminum DL-103 shell - $75

So, that puts me roughly $1600 in on this turntable - no complaints at all!

IndigoRock2001

Post by IndigoRock2001 » 20 Jul 2018 23:52

My Audio Technica ATLP 120 cost $220. I already want an older one. A good old solid high quality 70's or 80's TT found at a thrift store for $15 bucks. As I've said elsewhere "thrift-store shopping ain't what it used to be" for a number of reasons elucidated in my thread of the same name. I also spend so much of my dear old money on records there really isn't a penny or two left for another TT. I feel I am so dangerously, lustfully, frenziedly getting to the meat of things that I have naut left for "an skellington" to hang the meat on. I recall a time when I had around 8 very high quality TT's with a nice variety of carts which I doled out to friends who wanted just to spin their old records on and I did not even assess my own situation enough to save one or two of the best ones for myself. I now long for a simple good TT which does not hum, buzz, nor have motor noise which comes through the cart, which is simply silent where silence is desired. Do such things still exist? I used to take them (like my youth) quite for granted. Like my salad days have they simply wilted and gone with the sands of time? ;-)

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Post by vinyl master » 21 Jul 2018 02:59

Hey, Indi...By any chance, do you remember which models you had of those 8??? And do you remember the carts at all? We could probably tell you what the best ones were...But mainly, I'm just curious...I have all sorts of players around here...Good and bad...but I keep some for nostalgia's sake, some just to have a project to work on and others for routine playing...It's just interesting to know what types of machines others were using back in the day...

Codeward89

Post by Codeward89 » 03 Aug 2018 15:36

Pioneer PL-570 (Japan 1980)
Round 1
-Free in non-working condition with purchase of integrated amplifier from private seller
-$20 LP Gear headshell wires
-$20 for a cheap Audio Technica CN5625al cartridge (effectively disposable - the Stock PN-3MC was busted and replacement styli are around $150 if you can find them)
-$5 can of deoxit and some uneducated poking and prying
This got the platter spinning and when it worked, the table sounded great even with the cheapo cartridge. But something was wrong with the tonearm and the auto drop/return wasn't working. Sometimes the arm would randomly squeal and hop and skip around, scratching up the vinyl.

Round 2
-$100 for one of the last Shure M97xe's before they stopped production
-$120.65 at Classic Audio Repair in San Diego, where audio whiz JP cleaned and adjusted the tonearm clutch, tonearm drive belt, replaced the detect switch, and a couple other small adjustments. Pretty sure he also polished the lid for me.

So my free turntable in the end has cost me around $265.00, and I'm all smiles every time the needle drops.

I'm much happier with the Pioneer than my Dual 1228, even with an ADC XLM mkII improved on it. That one cost me $90 to buy and $150 to fix, with a $40 ADC RXL improved stylus on it from LP Gear. It came with a wellworn RSZ stylus with a nearly collapsed cantilever. Sounds better with the RSZ obviously, but I didn't want it breaking on me. Overall the Dual is thinner sounding and I think noisier. Maybe it's my modern sensibilities but the Pioneer packs a punch and looks like space age tech next to the old school Dual.

Also yes, first post. Long time snooper, first time poster. Hopefully I can contribute some information here. We all have to start somewhere.
Attachments
pioneer.JPG

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Post by vinyl master » 03 Aug 2018 18:37

That is a lovely machine there, codeward...It's about time you started adding your two cents! :wink:

Welcome to the forum! =D>

Your Pioneer looks quite special! Of course, I wouldn't necessarily give up on the Dual, either...Lots of us love our Duals as evidenced by this...

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_f ... 37&t=71931

56 pages and counting on that thread! 8)

Maybe a different cartridge altogether would Help that Dual to sing...I have an Audio Technica that came with my 1226...It is also very lovely-sounding...A vintage Shure, Ortofon or Pickering could also be just what the doctor ordered...

A man's got to have a back-up plan, just in case, you know... :wink:

Codeward89

Post by Codeward89 » 03 Aug 2018 20:36

Thanks VM for the welcome and recommendation. I'll keep trying to track down another cart to pop on the Dual. It's set up in my little 10x10 third bedroom/home office for now, but mainly for looks since nothing sounds good in there. It isn't so much that I don't enjoy it, but the Pioneer is definitely more pleasing to my ear and I'm a sucker for the design. Either way they both sure beat the Sony PS-lx250h that I got about 15 years ago now when I first got into this game.

oldschool1955

Post by oldschool1955 » 03 Aug 2018 21:05

Just pulled my 500+ old vinyl collection out of the upstairs closet a few years ago and did some work on the Technics SL-1700MK II I bought new in 1980 for just over $200 new back then I believe. Usual old age maintenance, replace the cueing belt, clean and relube the tonearm gears and epoxy one of the cracked gears, and replace the RCA cable that had an intermittent short. It served me well for the last 2 years but has developed an intermittent speed issue, I need to dig into and try to fix when I have time, so I bit the bullet and bought a new Technics SL-1200GR yesterday as I love Technics TT's. Great machine and a bargain at $1700 USD IMHO.

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Post by vinyl master » 04 Aug 2018 06:02

Codeward89 wrote:Either way they both sure beat the Sony PS-lx250h that I got about 15 years ago now when I first got into this game.
No problem, codeward...Of course, I think I can beat you, although it wasn't my intention...TWO PS-LX250H's (One bought at full price and one from the Salvation Army, priced at $8.00, that I got for $4.00 on a half-off day, which goes to show you how much they've depreciated over the years!) AND a Crosley Cruiser! How's that for really bad??? #-o Fortunately, I mended my ways and have found much better equipment in the five years I've been here on VE!

By the way, what are you running that Pioneer into? Receiver? Amplifier? Phono Preamp?

My back-up system is also a Pioneer set-up (The main set-up being Sansui), consisting of a PL-12D II turntable, Pioneer SX-450 receiver and some Boston Acoustics speakers...It's lovely and now I have enough pieces to create a few more set-ups, now that three Technics turntables have entered my life...It's a fun hobby, to say the least! :D

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Post by vinyl master » 04 Aug 2018 06:04

oldschool1955 wrote:Just pulled my 500+ old vinyl collection out of the upstairs closet a few years ago and did some work on the Technics SL-1700MK II I bought new in 1980 for just over $200 new back then I believe. Usual old age maintenance, replace the cueing belt, clean and relube the tonearm gears and epoxy one of the cracked gears, and replace the RCA cable that had an intermittent short. It served me well for the last 2 years but has developed an intermittent speed issue, I need to dig into and try to fix when I have time, so I bit the bullet and bought a new Technics SL-1200GR yesterday as I love Technics TT's. Great machine and a bargain at $1700 USD IMHO.
Uh-oh, oldschool... #-o Sounds like you're a fan of the Technics direct drives, too...Methinks someone's got Techie Fever! :fever: You should add something to my recent thread here, since you're such a devoted fan! =D>

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_f ... 8&t=106090

JRMELO87

Post by JRMELO87 » 04 Aug 2018 17:24

I paid $499 (US DOLLARS) for AT-LP1240-USB XP Direct-Drive Professional DJ Turntable.
Add a few bucks after taxes and service protection program.

T68

Post by T68 » 15 Aug 2018 14:10

Paid approximately 60 USD for this vintage system on a swedish thrift market:
Dual 1225 turntable
Tandberg TR200 amplifier/reciever
Tandberg TL1610 speakers

Needed a little tlc like a new steuerpimpel and lamps. Works and sounds a-ok!

Wry_Onion

Post by Wry_Onion » 24 Aug 2018 23:45

Paid about $25 for my Pioneer PL-L-1000A & a stack of records.

Feel like I did pretty good on that one. Arm wouldn't lower when I got it, but the worm just had shifted under the gear so was an easy fix.