the home of the turntable

AT-LP120 - Merged Topic

snap, crackle and pop

AT-LP120 - Merged Topic

Postby tudor96stanila » 17 Nov 2013 22:41

Hey
I'm thinking of buying the Audio Technica AT-LP120 USB turntable (after I save money for it). Does anyone own it/has experience with it? Would you recommend it?
I hear it's pretty good for that price; but I saw some people saying they have problems with the antiskating.
What do you think?
Technics SL D2 turntable
AT95E cartridge
Technics Su-v300 receiver
Technics Sb-Hd310 speakers
tudor96stanila

Romania

Re: AT-LP120

Postby cafe latte » 17 Nov 2013 23:23

tudor96stanila wrote:Hey
I'm thinking of buying the Audio Technica AT-LP120 USB turntable (after I save money for it). Does anyone own it/has experience with it? Would you recommend it?
I hear it's pretty good for that price; but I saw some people saying they have problems with the antiskating.
What do you think?

It is ok for the price as few turntables new are this cheap, but it is not a good turntable at all. It may get good reviews on shopping guides but with real reviews it does not. I guess this will be your first TT? What is your budget and will you consider buying used? If so you will get a lot more turntable for your money.
Regards
Chris
cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

Australia

Postby BMRR » 18 Nov 2013 01:31

Owned it, returned it, wouldn't recommend it.
What do dance clubs and classical radio stations have in common? Technics Direct Drive.™
BMRR
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby tudor96stanila » 18 Nov 2013 06:19

It would be my second tt (I already have an old Akai) but it would be the first that I buy and not take from the basement. My budget goes at around 250$-300$ max (there are shipping taxes that are almost as expensive as the tt itself in some cases). I already saw the Orbit one, I don't like the fact that it has no cue lever (my hands are anything but steady). But what is not ok with this AT? Does it not work properly? Or does it work worse than it should? It's strange how I've seen both good reviews and bad reviews on the same product.
Technics SL D2 turntable
AT95E cartridge
tudor96stanila

Romania

Postby cafe latte » 18 Nov 2013 09:36

tudor96stanila wrote:It would be my second tt (I already have an old Akai) but it would be the first that I buy and not take from the basement. My budget goes at around 250$-300$ max (there are shipping taxes that are almost as expensive as the tt itself in some cases). I already saw the Orbit one, I don't like the fact that it has no cue lever (my hands are anything but steady). But what is not ok with this AT? Does it not work properly? Or does it work worse than it should? It's strange how I've seen both good reviews and bad reviews on the same product.

High wow and flutter, actually terrible for a direct drive (see specs). Poor arm with poor functioning antiskate. Poor spindle bearing and not replaceable either like in the Technics. No plinth dampening and no platter damping either unlike the Technics. Horrible quality built in phono preamp too and you must also consider that when the warranty expires, and when not if it goes wrong there is no parts back up you need to just chuck it in the bin. A Technics for example all the parts are available and cheaply, a spindle bearing for example is 25 dollars, an arm is 60 odd last time I checked. I have seen complete used but good main boards for sl1200's go for 50 odd dollars.
Technics are actually heavy because the TT components and plinth are quality, but the AT-120 has a lump of metal in the base which is only there to deceive, without it the AT-120 is quite light.
Regards
Chris
Edit.. Check the prices of good working good condition sl1600 mk2's as they are basically a sl1200 mk2 with an auto feature and a sprung chassis. For less than a AT-120 will cost, you can have a really good TT with good parts back up, a no brainer in my opinion.
cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

Australia

Postby DarkAudit » 18 Nov 2013 10:14

I don't live in an area where I can go chasing after much vintage equipment, and finances put most of the 1200s that *did* pop up well out of reach. I did my own digging, even putting the question to Jerry of Jerry's Records in Pittsburgh and the Turntable Doctor of Galaxie Electronics across the hall. Told them flat out which turntables I had on my list, and both said I'd do fine with the LP-120.

After six weeks, I'd have to agree. I've done the o-ring on the tonearm tweak mentioned in other threads and other sites, and replaced the felt mat with the KAB supermat. I'm happy with what I have. I've even been able to rip some of an old WVU Marching band EP for posting to YouTube. :)

All of this does come with some caveats. I'm not an "audiophile" by any means. My ears are nowhere near as highly developed or trained as some of the others here. My system is what it is. It may be full of problems, but someone more knowledgeable than I will need to show me what to listen for before I'd know it.

Tl;dr: I researched it. I was recommended to me. I bought it. I tweaked it. I like it.
DarkAudit

United States of America

Postby tudor96stanila » 18 Nov 2013 10:39

I'll check the SL1600 out. I'll save some more money and maybe try to find a good deal for a SL1200 too. Even though I'm not so good at repairing and DIY things (lucky to have my dad to help me) I like the fact that the Technics do have all those replacement parts.
I can't say I'm and audiophile (at 17, one cannot say one had that much contact with music) but I do hear differences between digital wnd analog (especially on ABBA songs - I can't listen to my Abba cds anymore- they sound too unnatural). So I am looking for something that makes the most out of vinyl. Also, I don't plan on scratching or anything, just playing. Wasn't there a Technics that looked like the SL1200 but without the dj things?
Technics SL D2 turntable
AT95E cartridge
tudor96stanila

Romania

Postby cafe latte » 18 Nov 2013 11:06

tudor96stanila wrote:I'll check the SL1600 out. I'll save some more money and maybe try to find a good deal for a SL1200 too. Even though I'm not so good at repairing and DIY things (lucky to have my dad to help me) I like the fact that the Technics do have all those replacement parts.
I can't say I'm and audiophile (at 17, one cannot say one had that much contact with music) but I do hear differences between digital wnd analog (especially on ABBA songs - I can't listen to my Abba cds anymore- they sound too unnatural). So I am looking for something that makes the most out of vinyl. Also, I don't plan on scratching or anything, just playing. Wasn't there a Technics that looked like the SL1200 but without the dj things?

There are a lot of Technics models but the sl1200 is the best of the cheaper bunch as all the parts are available and it performs very well indeed. I have carts up to 1200 dollars that I use on my Technics sl1200 and they dont sound any better on my other turntables. Technics started as a hifi turntable and it was adopted my DJ's as it was so tough so some DJ features were added. On my Technics the pitch slider has never been moved. The sl1600 mk2 is really basically an sl1200 with an auto as I said. The only real disadvantages of the sl1600 I can think of is the auto feature can fail on the sl1600 and I dont think it is as easy to do arm swaps as it is on the sl1200. You cant change the arm for something else due to the auto feature for sure on the sl1600, but stock standard I doubt there is much sonic difference between the two if any. If you might want to mod you turntable later (the sl1200 can be seriously modded to be a very serious hifi TT with psu arm, bearing etc) then the if modding is yor thing then it must be an sl1200 or 1210 mk2. Have a look at Kabusa to see what is possible modding Technics wise.
Regards
Chris
cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

Australia

Postby grottyash » 18 Nov 2013 11:24

There's nothing wrong with the AT-LP120 turntable, and it is excellent value for the money. Many "real" reviews rate this - see here: http://www.whathifi.com/review/audio-technica-lp120usb

There's also several threads on audiokarma.org which give the AT a rap, plus there's a recent one on how to tweak it. Bypassing the preamp is a good idea, by the way, as is adding damping.

It's difficult to think of a budget turntable offering better, value - plus a guarantee.

Edit: If you read German, here's anoter review, again where they rate the AT LP - http://www.hifitest.de/test/plattenspie ... b_6433.php .
grottyash

Postby DarkAudit » 18 Nov 2013 11:40

grottyash wrote:There's nothing wrong with the AT-LP120 turntable, and it is excellent value for the money. Many "real" reviews rate this - see here: http://www.whathifi.com/review/audio-technica-lp120usb

There's also several threads on audiokarma.org which give the AT a rap, plus there's a recent one on how to tweak it. Bypassing the preamp is a good idea, by the way, as is adding damping.

It's difficult to think of a budget turntable offering better, value - plus a guarantee.

Edit: If you read German, here's anoter review, again where they rate the AT LP - http://www.hifitest.de/test/plattenspie ... b_6433.php .

I've seen those threads. Some got pretty ugly by the end. :shock:

The cartridge in the LP120 has been upgraded since that first review was written. It now ships with the AT95e. Came premounted on the headshell on mine.

If I had $1200 to spend on just the cartridge, I'd probably look at a different turntable, too. As it is, if I spent that much now, the rest of the family would likely disown me.
DarkAudit

United States of America

Postby cafe latte » 18 Nov 2013 12:02

grottyash wrote:There's nothing wrong with the AT-LP120 turntable, and it is excellent value for the money. Many "real" reviews rate this - see here: http://www.whathifi.com/review/audio-technica-lp120usb

I thought you would pop up on this thread :roll: . The Lp-120 is junk for the reasons I said. The LP-120 has the worst wow and flutter of any DD I can think of ( Which is quite a sad achievement) and to be honest most belt drives too. When it is broken it is a bin job as no parts are available and it is not really that good in the first place.
Why anyone would by a piece of sh*t from China that is not fixable and has horrible specs when there are much much better options available.
See hifi worlds review it and they considered it to be total junk.
Regards
Chris
Last edited by cafe latte on 18 Nov 2013 12:19, edited 2 times in total.
cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

Australia

Postby cafe latte » 18 Nov 2013 12:10

DarkAudit wrote:

I've seen those threads. Some got pretty ugly by the end. :shock:

The cartridge in the LP120 has been upgraded since that first review was written. It now ships with the AT95e. Came premounted on the headshell on mine.

If I had $1200 to spend on just the cartridge, I'd probably look at a different turntable, too. As it is, if I spent that much now, the rest of the family would likely disown me.

The point is I have more than one cart over a grand and they all sound great on a humble Technics sl1200 ( I have a few carts less than 100 dollars that sound great too). For similar money you can buy a lp-120 which is to be kind is total junk and that same cart would not work well at all. You can buy a sl1600 for LESS than this piece of junk LP-120 so why oh why would anyone buy this unfixable rubbish when there is other options that are WAY WAY up the food chain from this rubbish?
Regards
Chris
Edit..
It is not about Techincs or AT junk it is AT junk or anything else.
Buy even a used Project but not this rubbish.
cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

Australia

Postby DarkAudit » 18 Nov 2013 12:16

cafe latte wrote:

I thought you would pop up on this thread :roll: . The Lp-120 is junk for the reasons I said. The LP-120 has the worst wow and flutter of any DD I can think of and to be honest most belt drives too. When it is broken it is a bin job as no parts are available and it is not really that good in the first place.
Why anyone would by a piece of sh*t from China that is not fixable and has horrible specs when there are much much better options available.
See hifi worlds review it and they considered it to be totsl junk.
Regards
Chris

I just told you why. I'd expect a guy with one of the largest record collections in the US(and uses the LP120 as one of his record preview decks), and his friend down the hall who works on turntables for a living to know what they're talking about. If it was really as crap as you continually say (like I said, I've read the other LP120 threads both here and at AK), then they would have steered me away with all speed.
DarkAudit

United States of America

Postby grottyash » 18 Nov 2013 12:24

cafe latte wrote:

I thought you would pop up on this thread :roll: . The Lp-120 is junk for the reasons I said. The LP-120 has the worst wow and flutter of any DD I can think of and to be honest most belt drives too. When it is broken it is a bin job as no parts are available and it is not really that good in the first place.
Regards
Chris
Red rag to a bull - your judgment seems distorted whenever this turntable is mentioned. You also haven't really heard one, if I remember correctly.

This is a good budget deck with substantially better build than its competitors in the same price range.It won't equal your decks with hyper-expensive cartridges, of course not, but the AT95E to AT440s produce excellent sound for the money.

By the way, where it is made doesn't come into it. Some of the best - and most expensive - decks are now made in China, such as Well Tempered, for example, and an awful lot of other HiFi and AV electrics bearing top brand names are made there. Nothing wrong with the quality from China at all.

You do need to back off on this one - or buy one and give it a thorough test yourself. They're cheaper than any of your cartridges, I'd imagine :D
grottyash

Postby cafe latte » 18 Nov 2013 13:18

grottyash wrote:
cafe latte wrote:

Regards
Chris
Red rag to a bull - your judgment seems distorted whenever this turntable is mentioned. You also haven't really heard one, if I remember correctly.

This is a good budget deck with substantially better build than its competitors in the same price range.It won't equal your decks with hyper-expensive cartridges, of course not, but the AT95E to AT440s produce excellent sound for the money.

By the way, where it is made doesn't come into it. Some of the best - and most expensive - decks are now made in China, such as Well Tempered, for example, and an awful lot of other HiFi and AV electrics bearing top brand names are made there. Nothing wrong with the quality from China at all.

You do need to back off on this one - or buy one and give it a thorough test yourself. They're cheaper than any of your cartridges, I'd imagine :D

Grotty as I have said many times before I have heard one in the flesh and they are rubbish, they wow. I have also heard samples of them and they wow too, there are better options big time this is not a good TT. I have around 20 carts currently ranging from a lowly sure m97xe to a Decca super gold so I know what works in all budgets and my experience with the lp-120 was simply this is junk. As I said at the time here on VE I was really happy about a possible clone of the Technics after it was discontinued. After taking the time to listen to one in Melbourne on a trip I was disheartened to say the least. They are such junk even when you consider the price.
Regards
Chris
cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

Australia

Next

Return to Turntables and Tonearms