Orpheus Silex plinth project

snap, crackle and pop
cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Orpheus Silex plinth project

Post by cafe latte » 20 Jun 2013 07:24

Today I needed a break from spraying weeds, I am waiting for a door for the room so I decided to start my Orpheus plinth :D
The first thing I would like to say it I would love to get my hands on Mr Orpheus whoever he was as you need to dismantle the turntable to get it to fit in the plinth and making it fit takes a lot of careful chiseling. One of the motor bushes for example is maybe only 1mm from the edge of the turntable so avoiding ugly gaps and also not having the bushes touching takes a LOT of patience :evil:
Anyway I fitted the Orpheus to the top plate then cut a load more toilet seats which is what they look like :D and I loosely stacked them all together to see how it is going to look, all in all I am quite pleased so far. It will need gluing yet and a lot of sanding but looks better than I expected.
I have made the plinth to take any size arm without any plinth modding. The bracket you can see is what the arm mounts to so I left it in a cut out to allow easy adjustment.
Here are the pics so far..
Regards
Chris

awty
broken record

Re: Orpheus Silex plinth project

Post by awty » 20 Jun 2013 12:02

Have you checked it for red backs? At least you wont have trouble finding a lid. :lol:

Sorry, looks great mate, nice and simple. :D
As long as the suspended bits dont touch the side it should be sweet.

duficity
long player
long player

Post by duficity » 20 Jun 2013 14:23

what are you using to cut the plywood with? Sure is a lot of cutting with few straight lines. Do you then use a router bit to match up layers, or just leave it as it is? It the arm mount attached to the turntable at all, or just to the plinth?

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Post by cafe latte » 20 Jun 2013 23:37

The layers will be matched the best they can be, glued together then sanded with a belt sander until the layers are all uniformly smooth. The Orpheus as far as I can establish was the first ever suspended turntable. The were for sure making the Orpheus in 1959 possibly earlier than that and other claims for the title of the first suspended seem to come for the early 60's. Anyway the bracket poking out of the turntable is connected to the turntables suspended subchassis which hangs off foam isolation bushes (not in the picture as it needs removing to install the turntable). I have heard some people do a mod with Linn springs but I have not got that far yet. The hardest part was making sure non of the isolation bushes touched anything.
I used a jigsaw to do the cutting and I was very glad it was a top of the range Mikita (bought for 20 buck in a council auction ages ago :D ) as a cheap one would have expired as the cutting took a couple of hours.
I have not decided if I am going to route a curved top edge yet or not, any thoughts?
Regards
Chris
Last edited by cafe latte on 20 Jun 2013 23:42, edited 1 time in total.

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Post by cafe latte » 20 Jun 2013 23:38

awty wrote:Have you checked it for red backs? At least you wont have trouble finding a lid. :lol:

Sorry, looks great mate, nice and simple. :D
As long as the suspended bits dont touch the side it should be sweet.
:D When I was cutting all the layers I was wondering what I was making as I had plywood toilet seats everywhere :lol:
Regards
Chris

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 21 Jun 2013 03:49

D-lightful.
I think a rounded edge would match the Turntable nicely.

Cheers,
Alec

zwarte-romantiek

Post by zwarte-romantiek » 21 Jun 2013 09:29

Hi,

Great job. What arm are you gonna use?

Niels

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Post by cafe latte » 21 Jun 2013 10:19

zwarte-romantiek wrote:Hi,

Great job. What arm are you gonna use?

Niels
Thanks Neils, not sure yet what arm, maybe an Rb300. I am focusing on getting a SP10 and I want to spend most on the arm for that so I just want a cheapish good arm for this project which is why I was thinking an rb300. It is not period but it will perform and music is what it is all about :D
I glued the toilet seats together :) this evening when I got back from spraying weeds. I am regretting not searching harder for for my router bits though as I am going to be doing a lot of sanding to get the plinth as I want it. I could not find my router bits at the time and I am busy with other things at the moment and my jigsaw was sitting on the shelf summoning me. Note to self a jigsaw will do the job but it will be quicker in the long term to look harder for the router bits to do the job properly :)
More pics tomorrow :)
Regards
Chris

duficity
long player
long player

Post by duficity » 21 Jun 2013 13:15

I typically use an edge facing bearing router bit to line up the edges. just make sure that the smallest piece is within reach of the bearing, as it will be the guide, and then you can route from top and bottom to match. Same on the inside. I have found it difficult to cut layers with a jigsaw and then try to line them all up. while you can sand the outside, the inside hole remains ragged most of the time, so the router easily cleans that up. go ahead, spring for the longest trimmer bit you can find. I have one permanently mounted on my 1/2" router table mount.
As for bits, our local Home Depot was dumping all their fancy bits for about 20% of retail, so I bought one of everything, and a couple of some. Totalled over $400, but some of the bits retailed for $100. Now, if I want to build some windows or fancy doors or furniture, I have the bit. Now I just need skill and time.

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Post by cafe latte » 21 Jun 2013 23:04

duficity wrote:I typically use an edge facing bearing router bit to line up the edges. just make sure that the smallest piece is within reach of the bearing, as it will be the guide, and then you can route from top and bottom to match. Same on the inside. I have found it difficult to cut layers with a jigsaw and then try to line them all up. while you can sand the outside, the inside hole remains ragged most of the time, so the router easily cleans that up. go ahead, spring for the longest trimmer bit you can find. I have one permanently mounted on my 1/2" router table mount.
As for bits, our local Home Depot was dumping all their fancy bits for about 20% of retail, so I bought one of everything, and a couple of some. Totalled over $400, but some of the bits retailed for $100. Now, if I want to build some windows or fancy doors or furniture, I have the bit. Now I just need skill and time.
I have seen lots of bearing edging bits for rounding off edges or for cutting but nothing long enough to clean up the edge now the plinth is glued. Do you have a pic or link it sounds interesting?
Regards
Chris

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Post by cafe latte » 22 Jun 2013 00:06

Very interesting!! I did not know they made edging bits so long. I found one on ebay with a 3 inch blade and over 4.5 inches on total length. With this turning things over I should be able to get a perfect finish.
Can you get bigger than this?
Regards
Chris

duficity
long player
long player

Post by duficity » 22 Jun 2013 00:08

nah, that should do it. Of course, it won't fill in depressions

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Post by cafe latte » 22 Jun 2013 03:24

duficity wrote:nah, that should do it. Of course, it won't fill in depressions
It should make the sanding a smaller job though thanks :)
Regards
Chris

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Post by cafe latte » 26 Jun 2013 02:22

A few more pics finally :D
The plinth still needs a lot of rubbing down and filling to be perfect and I need to run a router round the top edge too.

Still a long way to go but starting to take shape :D
Regards
Chris

duficity
long player
long player

Post by duficity » 26 Jun 2013 12:36

Wow, you got it nice and smooth, and no delamination between ply layers. You must have clamped very well. Looks like its coming along. Are you going to veneer the sides?