Sanyo Plus Q50 Dust Cover Hinges

snap, crackle and pop
fredico

Sanyo Plus Q50 Dust Cover Hinges

Post by fredico » 07 Jan 2013 11:42

Good Day,

I have a terrific turntable, a Sanyo Plus Q50. After years of use, the dust cover hinges have worn out. The metal tension springs have popped through the plastic. Will any turntable hinges work, or do I need to find Sanyo specific hinges made for the Q50 model? Are there generics? Send help, send names, send web links, but don't send me a bill!

edwmccann

Re: Sanyo Plus Q50 Dust Cover Hinges

Post by edwmccann » 08 May 2019 02:48

Did you ever find a source for the hinges?
I need a set!
Tnx

AudioFeline
Australia

Post by AudioFeline » 08 May 2019 05:45

Welcome Ed.

In reply to Fred's question, almost any hinges which fit can be used so long as they fit. It's unlikely that you will find the Sanyo hinges for this particular turntable, so a generic hinge will be required.

I've just searched eBay "turntable hinge" and lots of versions have come up, many at reasonable cost. Measure the dimensions of the Sanyo's hinges and note their shape/design, and try to buy the closest you can find.

Alternately, can you repair the Sanyo's original hinge (eg. by inserting a piece of perspex or metal between the hinge and the lid or plinth)?

edwmccann

Post by edwmccann » 20 May 2019 23:55

Thanks!
I ended up using a small piece of acrylic cut to sale to cover the break-through of the souring in the lower section. Superglue to the rescue. When dry, reloaded top spring into metal catch!
Worked perfectly.

Thanks for your advice!

Ed McCann

AudioFeline
Australia

Post by AudioFeline » 21 May 2019 02:04

Well done, another turntable rescued!

bongos55

Post by bongos55 » 19 Jun 2019 23:42

I have this same turntable and absolutely love it - surprisingly awesome. Got it cheap because many overlook Sanyo, the stylus was gone and both dust cover hinges were broken (brittle plastic) so dust cover would not stay up - but everything else was excellent. Original hinges where not to be found. I tried to rescue the old ones by screwing in a fender washer over the flat broken piece, then covering it with JBweld. One side held good, but the other side popped off twice because the plastic on that one was too far gone - those springs are strong! But after that whole flat piece broke away it allowed me to drill a small hole on the inside side of the hinge and seat a small self-tapping screw against the straight side of the spring to hold it where it should be without needing to replace the plastic that broke off. Then I just rehooked the angle side of the spring back into the clip and viola - stays put and holds the dust cover up nicely. It's not pretty back there with the exposed spring, but no one sees the back and it functions like it should. These rare Q50 gems do not disappoint. 8)