Cartridge To Pair W/ Lenco L75

snap, crackle and pop
wyaldbill

Cartridge To Pair W/ Lenco L75

Post by wyaldbill » 11 May 2011 05:10

Hi all. Newbie. Just picked up a Lenco L75. Mint shape $150. Looks like 1968 (but weird that it is in an L78 plinth-that's an aside :?). It had a wrecked grado in it and I have a vinyl junkie uncle who gave me a new phillips 401 mkII that sounds good, but, here's the question??? what cartridge would you suggest as a step or more up (in the $200 to $500 range)? Or is it even worth a cartridge upgrade without modding the stock tone arm etc...?

Thanks for any help in wading into the cartride waters. B. :)

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 11 May 2011 06:12

I happily ran an early Grado in my L-75.
Check that the V-blocks are good, and maybe wind some unwaxed dental floss into the arm/stub joint, then add a drop of nail polish, or super glue (less reversible).
Which plinth do you have? Mine originally had springs between the bottom and the plinth, and I did not like that.

Cheers,
Alec

wyaldbill

Post by wyaldbill » 11 May 2011 06:39

Mine does have the deck loaded on springs. The turntable is alone on a heavy weight bench. V blocks ok, but I'll try the floss thing to firm up the arm. No problems on tracking with the 1 gram weight on the anti skating and about 2.2 grams stylus weight, just wondering about cost effectiveness of upgrading the cartridge vs a complete rebuild. If there was a well regarded standard cartridge in the $200 range to see the sound diff I wouldn't mind buying to test it before I even consider a complete custom rebuild. I just don't know what a good one to start with would be? How about an audio technica att 440MLA? decent non-audiphile reviews but I think I'm aways from audiphile level equip, although not bad basic sytem. Any cartridge suggestions?

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 11 May 2011 06:46

If the whole plinth is on springs, try taking the springs out, and support the deck on 2 squash balls, cut in half (=4 halves).
As for a cartridge, a Denon DL-110 should sound pretty good, without breaking the bank.

Cheers,
Alec

Bebé Tonto

Re: Cartridge To Pair W/ Lenco L75

Post by Bebé Tonto » 11 May 2011 08:49

wyaldbill wrote:Hi all. Newbie. Just picked up a Lenco L75. Mint shape $150. Looks like 1968 (but weird that it is in an L78 plinth-that's an aside :?). It had a wrecked grado in it and I have a vinyl junkie uncle who gave me a new phillips 401 mkII that sounds good, but, here's the question??? what cartridge would you suggest as a step or more up (in the $200 to $500 range)? Or is it even worth a cartridge upgrade without modding the stock tone arm etc...?

What a coincidence! I have a Philips GP401 II on one of my Lencos. It is a good match. A pretty OK cartridge; not the most detailed sound but pleasing and it tracks without problems (sibilance, distortions, etc.) I use it at 2.0-2.5g.

I have used all kinds of cartridges in the arm. Right now i'm using a cartridge that shouldn't work OK on the arm: A Pickering XV-15/750E; which is a very high compliance cartridge. But so far it is working pretty fine at 0.8g VTF.

Bebé Tonto

Post by Bebé Tonto » 11 May 2011 08:53

Alec124c41 wrote:I happily ran an early Grado in my L-75.
Check that the V-blocks are good, and maybe wind some unwaxed dental floss into the arm/stub joint, then add a drop of nail polish, or super glue (less reversible).
Which plinth do you have? Mine originally had springs between the bottom and the plinth, and I did not like that.

Cheers,
Alec
Very good advice.

Another pretty good modification is to remove the subcounterweight (VTF adjuster) and also file/saw/cut the subcounterweight rail. Otherwise it resonates. Then adjust the VTF by moving the main counterweight, using a stylus tracking force gauge.

The arm sounds pretty fine once you modify it.

wyaldbill

Post by wyaldbill » 11 May 2011 14:53

Thanks for the advice gentlemen. :) I'll try the squash ball trick and tone arm mods, and source a few more cartridges, but good to know there's some degree of satisfaction with the stock tone arm and a decent cartridge. Cheers.

Bebé Tonto

Post by Bebé Tonto » 11 May 2011 16:39

Alec124c41 wrote:If the whole plinth is on springs, try taking the springs out, and support the deck on 2 squash balls, cut in half (=4 halves).
As for a cartridge, a Denon DL-110 should sound pretty good, without breaking the bank.

Cheers,
Alec
:o Never heard about that mod. But now you have given me ideas with squash balls!

My recommendation is more conservative and follows the standard practice: Couple the plate rigidly to a massive top plinth.

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 12 May 2011 06:42

Bebé Tonto wrote:
Alec124c41 wrote:If the whole plinth is on springs, try taking the springs out, and support the deck on 2 squash balls, cut in half (=4 halves).

Cheers,
Alec
:o Never heard about that mod. But now you have given me ideas with squash balls!

My recommendation is more conservative and follows the standard practice: Couple the plate rigidly to a massive top plinth.
I like the quick and cheap mods, so I can mull over the ones that take time and work, or money.
I do have a couple of Lencos waiting their turn... :)
As for squash balls, look carefully at some pricey supports: squashballs in cups.

Cheers,
Alec

millopa
France

Post by millopa » 01 Dec 2019 14:29

Hi guys also a newbie. I am renovating a Lenco L75 and have two cartridges (without needles) a SHURE M44-7 and a PICKERING XV15 : which one would you recommend to mount ( I have the classic straight Lenco arm). I know that both would fit but I would need an advice on which one is the best between the two. Once the choice is made I then need an advice on the needle to choose : i had a look on ebay for the SHURE and they are tons of choice of the N44 for the shure ( origin Japan, switzerland...) and it is difficult to know what is good and less good....
Thanks for your views

Pascal

KentT
long player
long player

Post by KentT » 01 Dec 2019 18:06

wyaldbill wrote:
11 May 2011 05:10
Hi all. Newbie. Just picked up a Lenco L75. Mint shape $150. Looks like 1968 (but weird that it is in an L78 plinth-that's an aside :?). It had a wrecked grado in it and I have a vinyl junkie uncle who gave me a new phillips 401 mkII that sounds good, but, here's the question??? what cartridge would you suggest as a step or more up (in the $200 to $500 range)? Or is it even worth a cartridge upgrade without modding the stock tone arm etc...?

In the Stock tonearm in good condition, Shure M 75 or the Goldring G 800 is ideal. Stick to MM and MI like these, the arm works best with them and ideally matched.

gullkeoby
Croatia

Post by gullkeoby » 03 Dec 2019 09:54

I try few carts with Lenco original tonearm but best so far is Denon 103...It work also really nice with cheap Technics eps 270c...I too remove springs from turntable and it is better...