Five to Ten
21%
Ten Plus
8%

Total votes: 4223

watchnerd

Re: How many turntables do you have?

Post by watchnerd » 30 Sep 2018 20:06

DasherF wrote:My 'tables are primarily "stored" (loosely stated) in the one of the two third floor rooms. That's not including the multiple receivers, speakers, CD players, cassette decks... I also have a desire to get back into reel to reel...those, with any collection of tapes, by comparison, are huge...some of us just like the variety (and have a little bit of room).
That is a great question! Anyone else care to dive in and share your "storage facilities"?
That's a lot of different stuff. Do you run a pawn shop?

DasherF
United States of America

Post by DasherF » 30 Sep 2018 22:08

No, I work in receiving at the Reuse program for the Uni of Mn. I get my share of "olds and ends" ("only" one turntable, but a couple receivers, pairs of speakers and other non-hifi things. I do like to visit thrift stores around town. My brother out in Rogers gets more out of those than all of mine in the "big city"...and then I get his last big thing...his 2nd floor in his garage is as full as my 3rd floor!

DualSpinsMyVinyl
United States of America

Post by DualSpinsMyVinyl » 01 Oct 2018 07:33

watchnerd,

They are all in the same room. I have them all on a shelf in a row and when I select one I take it down and connect it to my system for that listening session, then it goes pack on the shelf untill next time. It is simple but works for me.

DSMV

dB12

Post by dB12 » 01 Oct 2018 14:24

DasherF wrote:My 'tables are primarily "stored" (loosely stated) in the one of the two third floor rooms. That's not including the multiple receivers, speakers, CD players, cassette decks... I also have a desire to get back into reel to reel...those, with any collection of tapes, by comparison, are huge...some of us just like the variety (and have a little bit of room).
That is a great question! Anyone else care to dive in and share your "storage facilities"?
My listening/party/storage building (The Hideout) is an old restaurant on a property I purchased a few years back, and although it is nothing fancy, I do have a bit of space. I currently have 4 turntables up and running. Lenco L78 / Technics SL1100a / AR-ES1 / and if I'm on the beer a little too heavy, a Dual 1229 :D . I find some albums sound better on certain tables... and it sure is fun having the options.

https://i.imgur.com/yizXVLk.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/N3xr2d0.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/uI5Al4L.jpg

DasherF
United States of America

Post by DasherF » 01 Oct 2018 14:45

db! That's the way I'd like to have my "space" (not much left...).
Love the Wet Willie record! Jimmy Hall was with Jeff Beck on Live+ and At the Hollywood Bowl. Still got his chops.
... still, having a separate BUILDING! Mmmmmmm...

C2H3Cln2
long player
long player

Post by C2H3Cln2 » 03 Oct 2018 20:21

I have three systems set up, each with a turntable. the systems are set up in three different rooms. The other turntables are stored and are rotated, depending on the mood or whether am testing a recording, or a cartridge.

Each turntable belongs to a system: except for the DUAL, and AR-XA. I have no amplifiers of the same brand for these. Otherwise, each table goes with the amplifier of the same brand Marantz, Beogram, Pioneer, Lafayette, etc...

'why so many tables?": It's a hobby. It's an active hobby. It brings fun and pleasure. Switching tables/amps, comparing recordings, carts, speakers, wires, etc.. is part of the fun... The challenge, of course, is maintenance, keeping systems and the tables in use so they don't corrode and go to waste!
XA.jpg
(249.1 KiB) Downloaded 328 times
Cheers

toymanmsp

Post by toymanmsp » 14 Oct 2018 21:52

I have 6 tables, one is stored (Dual 1219 w/1229 tonearm), Technics 1600 (Full Auto), Technics 1710 (Black, Semi-Auto), Rega Planar 3 (2016) with groovetracer mods, and two newly acquired tables. A Marantz 6370Q (runs in either manual or semi-automatic) in beautiful condition, and a Linn LP12. Each runs a different cart, so it provides a listener with options in the sound that you want. It's enjoyable to mix and match the different carts with tables. Amazing how you can get a different sound with each different combination. I love this hobby, my passions for it grows everyday.

Doghouse Riley

Post by Doghouse Riley » 14 Oct 2018 22:13

A vintage Philips 308 with a Shure M75 EJ cartridge.

And two like this in my even older "3cwt iPods" which use a Shure M44 cartridge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=morLkJDxWyg

The bass on these machines with their two 12" bass speakers is impressive, even after forty or 50 years.

watchnerd

Post by watchnerd » 14 Oct 2018 23:52

dB12 wrote:
01 Oct 2018 14:24
My listening/party/storage building (The Hideout) is an old restaurant on a property I purchased a few years back, and although it is nothing fancy, I do have a bit of space. I currently have 4 turntables up and running. Lenco L78 / Technics SL1100a / AR-ES1 / and if I'm on the beer a little too heavy, a Dual 1229 :D . I find some albums sound better on certain tables... and it sure is fun having the options.

https://i.imgur.com/yizXVLk.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/N3xr2d0.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/uI5Al4L.jpg
You have a dedicated piece of real estate just for listening??

DasherF
United States of America

Post by DasherF » 15 Oct 2018 00:33

To paraphrase a previous post, I love this hobby, it's fascinating to hear the difference between carts and 'tables...and (in my case) to have the room where I don't feel I need to do the crabwalk...gee...very cool. Good for you! =D> =D>

dB12

Post by dB12 » 15 Oct 2018 14:42

watchnerd wrote:
14 Oct 2018 23:52
You have a dedicated piece of real estate just for listening??
Not exactly. I bought this property that used to be a restaurant mainly as an investment because it has 200' of road frontage on a busy highway. The property has a nice 3 bedroom mini home, a 1 bedroom bunkhouse, a shed, and the old restaurant building that was built in 1948.
The rent from the minihome covers the mortgage, and the rent from the bunkhouse pays for a few beers and albums, or a stereo upgrade from time to time.

It's about 1/2 way between my business and my home, which makes it very convenient, and my wife likes the set up because it keeps the noise and commotion out of our house.

It has a dart board, a table for the odd poker game, a washroom, and there is a nice private backyard for the washer toss games.

In addition to being my listening room, it is a good meet up spot for myself and a few of my biker friends during the summer, and a place to relax after our weekly hockey games through the winter.

It's a wear your boots inside kind of place... nothing fancy, but it serves the purpose very well. :D

https://i.imgur.com/DUcXPV6.jpg

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 16 Oct 2018 06:00

The man's got his own clubhouse! I am a little envious there, db12! =P~ Sounds like a fun place to set up shop and have a party once in a while! And you DON'T have to hire a DJ for the occasion! =D>

DasherF
United States of America

Post by DasherF » 20 Oct 2018 04:36

Hey, c2, I was looking back at a few recent posts...first off, that's a beautiful pic of your turntable with that cool shadow cast off to the wall on your Oct. 3 post...and then, what's that little wrench off to the right side of the platter? We got some in at work similar to it.

C2H3Cln2
long player
long player

Post by C2H3Cln2 » 21 Oct 2018 03:41

DasherF wrote:
20 Oct 2018 04:36
Hey, c2, I was looking back at a few recent posts...first off, that's a beautiful pic of your turntable with that cool shadow cast off to the wall on your Oct. 3 post...and then, what's that little wrench off to the right side of the platter? We got some in at work similar to it.
Thank you! The wrench is actually the original arm-rest for the tone arm..
rest.jpg
(30.04 KiB) Downloaded 86 times

DasherF
United States of America

Post by DasherF » 21 Oct 2018 04:36

:oops: I need to take more 'tables apart...