MARANTZ 6300 "Auto Shut-Off" help Needed

snap, crackle and pop
marantzears

MARANTZ 6300 "Auto Shut-Off" help Needed

Post by marantzears » 26 Aug 2010 15:59

Ok this is likely to be an easy fix so don't throw me under the bus for being so green.

First things first, the "auto" button is pressed.

The "auto shut-off" is not activating because (I think) the needle isn't going far center enough on the lp. If I gently tap the tone arm the "auto-shut off" mode will activate.

It started doing this when I was decided to follow the Marantz manual on how t,o properly calibrate your tone arm. So I guess I've made it worse.

Here's a supplementary video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K90bPRmEJ5k

Thanks!

sjam

Post by sjam » 26 Aug 2010 16:25

I do not know how to solve you problem but I can tell you by tapping on the arm or cartidge, you will have definitely some more. Doing so you will probably kill either the suspension, cantilever or needle, if you not already did.
When the needle is on a record only remove it by lifting it from the record. Use the armlift or a steady finger. Your video is to me almost a horror film. Stop doing this and wait for some advice. Please somebody on VE help him. Regards Sam.

marantzears

Post by marantzears » 26 Aug 2010 23:52

Sam's right you guys, someone help me or the 6300 is going to get it!! :twisted:

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 27 Aug 2010 04:59

Look inside, underneath, and see what activates the EOR. I might expect some stiff lubricant needs cleaning out.

Cheers,
Alec

registeredla

Post by registeredla » 27 Aug 2010 14:07

Have you tried pushing the up button with the auto button in the on position? It should lift the tonearm the rest of the way and shut it off. Then you know you are on true auto. Once in auto put the needle over the starting groove and push the down button. If it does not go all of the way down, you need to make some adjustments. Check that the lift bar is not touching under the tonearm. There is a small set screw that you will see on the metal disk around the shaft. Loosen and adjust the bar down so it is just below the tonearm while playing.

Let me know if this helps.

registeredla

Post by registeredla » 27 Aug 2010 14:13

Also on the back of the TT there is a very small hole that you will see. You put a screw driver in it to adjust the photo eye that shuts off the TT, when you get to the run out groove. You might need to turn it in or out a little so that it does not run out too far. Watching your video it looks like it needs to move in more to shut off. Adjust the screw and you will be good to go.

marantzears

Post by marantzears » 07 Sep 2010 21:18

Thanks for the suggestions!

Alec: what do you mean by EOR? I've gone under the hood and the mechanics that spring the auto and manual button seems to be catching just fine.

registeredla: The arm rest is set ok. I think you might be correct about the "photo eye" setting. But I've adjusted the screw both ways till the thread ends and nothing has changed. I can't seem to find the sweet spot. Nor can I find anything about this in the TT's manual.

here's a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zyxjw--C-sg

I also think my lateral weight and anti-skipping weight are also all out of wack because the needle will often skip on grooves that don't have any scratches.

It seems like there are so many small factors that can throw the whole thing off. Don't get me wrong, I love this TT, but my Technics SL-1700 has spoiled me with its plug and play ease.

Thanks or all you're knowledgable input!

marantzears

Post by marantzears » 08 Sep 2010 00:22

Alright, VICTORY!

I removed the bottom plate and then plug the turntable back on and played a record at it's end so that I could see the "photo eye" when I was adjusting the back screw. That made it easier to adjust correctly.

Also the anti-skating issue has also been resolved. I think my tracking weight was never zeroed out correctly; and the counterweight was off on the tonearm, thus nullifying the "anti-skate" weight. Once I was able to set the tracking weight correctly for my cartridge (1.5 grams), simply repeated the same for the "anti-skate" weight.

So now it's now longer needlessly skipping and the auto-shut off is working!

Now I just need to replace the strobe light...

registeredla

Post by registeredla » 08 Sep 2010 14:20

Glad the TT is working.

If you have not already reset tracking force etc., zero out the anti-skate, then set the tracking weight to the point that the needle sits parallel to the record. (suspended above the record balanced out.) Then set the weight to zero on the mark and set your tracking per cart manufacturer. When set adjust anti-skate just under tracking force. You should have no other skipping issues.

You should be able to pick a strobe light up on ebay. There is a resistor tied to the strobe. Make sure that the resistor is okay. That could be your problem if it is bad.

marantzears

Post by marantzears » 22 Sep 2010 01:27

registeredla wrote:Glad the TT is working.

If you have not already reset tracking force etc., zero out the anti-skate, then set the tracking weight to the point that the needle sits parallel to the record. (suspended above the record balanced out.) Then set the weight to zero on the mark and set your tracking per cart manufacturer. When set adjust anti-skate just under tracking force. You should have no other skipping issues.

You should be able to pick a strobe light up on ebay. There is a resistor tied to the strobe. Make sure that the resistor is okay. That could be your problem if it is bad.
Hey I just want to say thanks for the help Shortly after your last post I went back and tweaked it a bit more, and now I can say it's been working flawlessly ever since.

I've read the 6300's manual, but your language was easier to understand, less confusing, and because of it, the arm doesn't skip nor drag. The auto shut off sensor works flawlessly now, and I couldn't be happier.

Thank you sir!

How can I tell if the transistor is out? My strobe light does flash if I press the "down" button the TT, but it won't stay lit. Any thoughts?

registeredla

Post by registeredla » 22 Sep 2010 13:21

I am glad that I could help you.

There is a resistor in line with the strobe light to adjust the voltage to it. I am not sure what resistance is in yours. The best way is to look at the colored bands on the resistor and compare them against a resistor color chart like this one. http://www.the12volt.com/resistors/resistors.asp Then use your ohm meter to check the resistor. It should read close to the tolerance it was manufactured for, if not replace it. Many times this is the cause of a bad strobe light on a 6300. Not always but check this first before you buy a new strobe light.

I hope this helps you.

quadgirl

Re: MARANTZ 6300 "Auto Shut-Off" help Needed

Post by quadgirl » 17 Jun 2019 19:05

Hello everyone. I just want to say thanks for contributing to this site. My 6300 was just a hair shy of when to auto shut off, so just in reading this I found out about the little screw to adjust in the back and now mine is perfect as well. Thank you so much! :D

lenjack
long player
long player

Re: MARANTZ 6300 "Auto Shut-Off" help Needed

Post by lenjack » 17 Jun 2019 19:24

Just so you know, for future reference, EOR= end of record. Now, relax and enjoy the music.