snap, crackle and pop
Doug G.
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: BIC turntables?

Post by Doug G. » 24 Aug 2017 21:54

Hi Devil,

Welcome, good luck with your 940, don't listen to the naysayers, and ask any questions you may have.

Doug

Spinner45
long player
long player

Post by Spinner45 » 25 Aug 2017 02:43

Devil Dawg wrote:As an afternote, it dawned on me while reading this thread that I must have truly found the perfect turntable to reflect my personality......
The very idea that a tt could illicit such a response as to warrant someone chiming in about how cheaply built it was built dang near 40 years after its release is reason enough to buy it! Fortunately I paid a whopping $40 including shipping for my 940 so it should be pretty easy to exceed my expectations. But it occurs to me that since we are still having the conversation 40 years later that there is very little evidence supporting the claims,it should be interesting to find out for myself however. Its sort of like when I hear someone say "Harleys are junk!" really.....lets compare a 1917 Harley to a 1917 Honda then. Well you can't! Honda wasn't around in 1917! Exactly! It seems to me that any of the problems related to the tt seem to be a result of the lubricant used rather than the craftsmanship. And as far as I'm aware there are very few lubricants that last 40 years anyhow. If nothing else this tt should at least afford me a inexpensive introduction to "Turntable maintenance and repair" which would be invaluable in itself! Heck I wouldn't want to cut my teeth on a $500-1000 Marantz or Technics! So if nothing else this turntable definitely has a purpose with in the hobby. Thanks guys now I'm even more excited to get my new purchase!
Enjoy your purchase, really.
As for my experiences, I've seen brittle, deteriorated plastics cracking in these BIC models after the decades, and of course those parts are no longer available today, unless you know someone with a 3-D printer.

schleif

Post by schleif » 25 Aug 2017 02:53

Devil,
I resurrected my BIC 80z as you may have read on this blog, and with the help of a few here it is working perfectly. I purchased a DOA one on ebay for 9.99 and broke it down into parts. I think many of the parts are the same, so anything you can not find if you need let me know, cost to ship it is all I would ask. Hopefully, you will find listening to vinyl will light you up again. It is definitely a refreshing experience. Particularly if you have old vinyl around. Blows away modern digital stuff and brings back memories. Norm

schleif

Post by schleif » 25 Aug 2017 02:59

Hey Doug,
My brother (who is 66, 9 years my senior) called me and said he made a mistake. About 10 years ago he had given away the stereo system I built for him in the 80's along with :cry: his entire vinyl collection all of which I had temporarily inherited and split with him when I built his system. So he purchased a Sony linear turntable. I dont know much about the linear turntables other than what I have read on the net lately. What do you think about them. I am interested, anyone's option is welcome.

Devil Dawg

Post by Devil Dawg » 25 Aug 2017 04:05

schleif wrote:Devil,
I resurrected my BIC 80z as you may have read on this blog, and with the help of a few here it is working perfectly. I purchased a DOA one on ebay for 9.99 and broke it down into parts. I think many of the parts are the same, so anything you can not find if you need let me know, cost to ship it is all I would ask. Hopefully, you will find listening to vinyl will light you up again. It is definitely a refreshing experience. Particularly if you have old vinyl around. Blows away modern digital stuff and brings back memories. Norm
Thanks man, Hoping its as good as the add says but if not I send you a message. Either way like I said experience is your best investment and no matter what I think I can glean $40 worth of experience out of this some how. :old-git:

TheMachine

Post by TheMachine » 25 Aug 2017 12:26

I was much like the poster who saved his money from a summer job and bought his first "good" TT. That's what I did. A few years later I got a Miracord and put the BIC on the shelf. A few years later, the Miracord developed all sorts of mechanical quirks. No one in town would touch it as far as repair went. I pulled the BIC off the shelf and it worked perfectly. I kept/used that TT off and on for about 17 years before I gave it away. So, ignorance is bliss - I didn't know it was a crappy TT - it just worked and didn't sound bad.

schleif

Post by schleif » 25 Aug 2017 16:22

Well, I have never owned the technics 2000 dj turntable, but my bic 80z belt drive and digital display has worked for me well since I got it around 1980 and again now that I greased it up and put on a new belt. I am using my acutex 312 III and Micro Acoustics 4004e (I have 3 tone arms) they sound great on speakers that are also circa 1980 Radian Research 12-3. I am quite certain there are better out there, but listening to higher end systems at best buy recently, I would not be embarrassed to stack mine right next to any of theirs.

Doug G.
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by Doug G. » 25 Aug 2017 18:31

I sure agree with you Norm about vinyl and its sound. I never got rid of my records or turntable when the big CD thing hit in the eighties but I had a lot of friends who did. They later regretted it.

As far as linear tables, I guess they're OK (I have a Fisher I got in 1985 and it sounds OK but I still like my regular BICs better). The thing with linears is that the servo system in them must track perfectly or there will be uneven pressure place on the groove walls which then defeats the purpose. That's why really good ones are/were expensive.

I have another note about the 80Z too. There was a problem with mine in that when I tried to cycle it, it would jam and, not only that, the little secondary lever would break. It turned out one of the "pegs" which move the two metal cam followers, hanging down from the big red cam, was hitting the area of the lever where the spring is and bringing everything to a halt. It was apparent that that peg didn't have to be as long as it was so I cut about 1/8" off it and now everything is hunky dory.

Doug

schleif

Post by schleif » 26 Aug 2017 13:28

Thanks Doug. Good to know. Since I re-greased mine and replaced the o-ring below the spindle all is fine and speed is consistently on the mark. Tone arm consistently returns to correct positions.

Devil Dawg

Post by Devil Dawg » 02 Sep 2017 06:04

Quick update......Got my 940 in and imediately went to setting it up. And wouldn't you know it! Barely a whisper out of the speakers! All I could think was "Damn they were right!" I was broken hearted. Pulled the stylus, checked the cartridge, cleaned the connectors, Nothing! Then in a moment of desperation I ran out to my local used hifi joint and asked for the cheapest receiver w/phono inputs they had.....got a Kenwood KR-720 for $35. Went home and plugged it up and PRESTO! Sweetest sound I ever heard! Sounds great even through a subrate amp. So as it sits right now I'm looking at $40 for a fully serviced BIC 940 in excellent condition, $35 on a used Kenwood KR-720 receiver, and $10 for a pair of Fisher XP-55 speakers. So for a whopping $85 dollars I'm into a pretty decent starter system........No doubt it won't be long before I'm looking to upgrade but as of right now I would say this is the best $85 I have ever spent.
Attachments
0902170024~2.jpg
(383.82 KiB) Downloaded 336 times

Doug G.
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by Doug G. » 02 Sep 2017 06:29

Yeah, it's great. Kenwoods in those days were fine receivers. I think the 720 was around 40 WPC.

You're all set!

Doug

schleif

Post by schleif » 03 Sep 2017 03:15

Nicely done Dawg! I am surprised it didnt work. You did connect it to a receiver, correct? I know if the ground is not connected it may not work. But it looks like you are in good shape now. What a great deal!

Devil Dawg

Post by Devil Dawg » 03 Sep 2017 05:08

schleif wrote:Nicely done Dawg! I am surprised it didnt work. You did connect it to a receiver, correct? I know if the ground is not connected it may not work. But it looks like you are in good shape now. What a great deal!

Thanks Schleif,
Yeah checked everything ground, connections, stylus, cartridge, just a no go. I'm thinking the preamp probably just gave up the ghost......Not much of a loss mid 70's Electrophonics with 8 track. It won't be missed. :lol:

Doug G.
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by Doug G. » 03 Sep 2017 21:00

If that Electrophonics has a phono input but it is for a high output (ceramic) cartridge, it won't work with a magnetic cartridge. The output from a magnetic is much too low. The Kenwood's phono input, of course, was designed for magnetic cartridges.

Your neat little setup reminds me of those package deals HiFi outlets used to put together for a bargain price. They would select a turntable, receiver, and speakers and sell the package for less than the total of the individual components. Some were really good deals.

Doug

schleif

Post by schleif » 07 Sep 2017 01:41

Doug, need your help. I have 2 extra tonearms for my 80z. But one is missing a small black plastic connector that screws in under the cartridge shell head that allows you to screw the 2 cartridge screws to connect to the head. Do you know what that part is called and where I can get on. It's plastic and the screw on top of the head screws into it so you can screw your cartridge into it. This way I can interchange all 3 tonearms each with their own cartridge already attached.