snap, crackle and pop

Re: Music Hall Mmf-2.2

Postby Jefferson670 » 22 Nov 2014 14:55

I guess I'll have to try!
Jefferson670

Finland

Postby Jefferson670 » 02 Dec 2014 20:33

So, I'm going to buy the new cartridge now (Audio-Technica AT120E/T).

Is the heavier counterweight an absolute necessity, or can I do with the old one? The cartridge is supposed to weigh 5,7 g, so it isn't too much over the limit. Also, does it matter if i get a 75g or a 80g counterweight?
Jefferson670

Finland

Postby Jefferson670 » 20 Dec 2014 20:13

Alright, scratch that last post, of course I needed a new counterweight (I'm dumb sometimes). So I ordered a 75g Pro-Ject counterweight from an importer, but then it appeared that it doesn't fit onto the tonearm.

Could someone who has bought an 75g Pro-Ject counterweight online give me a link to it so I could buy the same one, so I don't end up wasting money and time again?

Are there different sizes of Pro-Ject counterweights? I'm just really confused right now, I don't understand why a Pro-Ject counterweight doesn't fit onto a Pro-Ject tonearm. It also could be possible that the importer just sent a wrong counterweight, I doubt it though.

I've been in contact back and forth with the importer, the other seller from where I got the turntable, and I also sent messages to Music Hall and Pro-Ject both, with no answer regarding the tonearm.
Jefferson670

Finland

Postby Lemur » 26 Dec 2014 13:04

Dear All!

Two questions to you:

1) Many write that using a Pro-Ject Speed Box S drastically improves the sound. However my dealer said that it does not technically fit to a MMF 2.2, and another dealer said that it fits and the speed holds marvelously but the engine starts vibrating. Could you please share your experience of using the speed box, or maybe someone used another speedbox?

2) My MMF (now some 3 months old) gives a rather strong humming noise in the silent places on a record; the hum does not depend on the cart or platter used. The higher the volume the louder it gets. Then after 2-3 hours of playing it decreases but never goes out completely. Mr Hall advised to clean and oil the shaft which I have done, no effect. My dealer said maybe the belt needs some stretching. Did any have any similar experience and if so what was your solution?

Happy new year to all,

Alexander
Lemur

Russia

Postby michael jennings » 26 Dec 2014 15:14

I may be out of step with the crowd here but:
I've had a 2.2 for about 3years now and, although I've upgraded on my main system [ProJect Xtension9], I still use this table on my solid-state system.
The only change I made to mine was replacing the felt mat with a cork one.
It has performed flawlessly no hum or speed issues, Good sound with the stock cartridge and I have enjoyed it on both systems.
I wonder if the designers "had it right" and all the tinkering and accessorizing introduce problems/issues that weren't there in the unit as designed/produced?
When I was ready for an up-grade I saved my $$$, did research, and settled on a new table that I am well pleased with but will also remain "stock" as designed…..
I think they may be smarter than me.
Mike
michael jennings

United States of America

Postby Lemur » 26 Dec 2014 15:51

Dear Mike, dear all,

(Still if someone knows about the Speed Box S compatibility let me know!!!)

You are 100% right. I have a better system in the other room and wanted to build a budget one for my small study, so I have there a $300 Onkyo musical centre, budget Atacama speaker stands, Ikea-produced furniture, a Cambridge Audio 640P phono stage, and of course the MMF 2.2. However (as Mike) I use a cork mat. (I must say, the humming noise started as I opened the box, when no changes were made yet! maybe I only noticed it thanks to my bigger and better system where "silent" parts on a record are really silent)

However, I could not resist :) I replaced the platter with Acryl-It from Pro-Ject, and I replaced the cartridge with a (I had a used one) Benz Micro Silver. I also use a Van den Hul inter-component cord and some high-quality speaker cords, apart from that no extra....

I agree that the "stock" options (MM cart, metal platter) also sound OK but believe me, even on an Onkyo mini system, the MC (Benz) with the acryl platter give the sound the depth not achieved before....

Many thanks if someone knows about the Speed Box :)

Happy new year everyone!!!
Lemur

Russia

Postby Bob_in_OKC » 29 Dec 2014 05:40

Lemur wrote:Dear Mike, dear all,

(Still if someone knows about the Speed Box S compatibility let me know!!!)

You are 100% right. I have a better system in the other room and wanted to build a budget one for my small study, so I have there a $300 Onkyo musical centre, budget Atacama speaker stands, Ikea-produced furniture, a Cambridge Audio 640P phono stage, and of course the MMF 2.2. However (as Mike) I use a cork mat. (I must say, the humming noise started as I opened the box, when no changes were made yet! maybe I only noticed it thanks to my bigger and better system where "silent" parts on a record are really silent)

However, I could not resist :) I replaced the platter with Acryl-It from Pro-Ject, and I replaced the cartridge with a (I had a used one) Benz Micro Silver. I also use a Van den Hul inter-component cord and some high-quality speaker cords, apart from that no extra....

I agree that the "stock" options (MM cart, metal platter) also sound OK but believe me, even on an Onkyo mini system, the MC (Benz) with the acryl platter give the sound the depth not achieved before....

Many thanks if someone knows about the Speed Box :)

Happy new year everyone!!!

As long as your MMF-2.2 has a power adapter supplying ~16VAC to it, the Pro-Ject Speed Box S should work.
Bob_in_OKC

Postby Lemur » 29 Dec 2014 08:31

Many thanks! Meanwhile I have received a message from Music Hall themselves, saying it will work. Please let me put the question another way: has anyone had any POSITIVE experience after the Speed Box S was used with the Music Hall MMF 2.2? Anything like the sound changing drastically? Happy new year to all!
Lemur

Russia

Postby gmw65 » 26 Jan 2015 09:38

I used a Speedbox 2 with my MMF-2.2. It worked great and while I would not say there was a drastic change in character, the stability was better. Bass notes were tighter and sustained piano notes were improved. A worthwhile investment for me.
gmw65

Canada

Postby Lemur » 26 Jan 2015 09:59

Dear Gmw65,

Many thanks. In this case the opinion of one lady here on the forum, a US resident, posted a few years ago, was drastically different: she said that the SpeedBox drastically changed the sound - at least the same change as is heard after changing the cart. You say the change was there but not so drastic. I will buy the 'box then. To me it is important that you are in Canada and she in the US, because there you have 110V I think, whereas we in Russia have 220V, and the Hz is different too; so I think I must find the 'Box usable for 220V countries. But the important things are 1) it does improve the sound and 2) MMF and 'Box are compatible, for my local dealer said they are not! Many thanks to all!
Lemur

Russia

Postby gmw65 » 26 Jan 2015 12:07

The speedbox is basically an improved power supply. I would think that it woukd make a bigger difference in a case where the local power is not very clean. It also has the effect of reducing motor hum which is picked up by some cartridges.
gmw65

Canada

Postby Lemur » 26 Jan 2015 12:25

Aaaaah!!!! Maybe you saved me. 1) In the room I have the MMF I have no special power console that cleans the electricity 2) I have "enjoyed" the motor hum since the day I bought the MMF, no one could help not even Mr Hall himself; the hum is reduced with every hour the plate is turning but never goes away and does not depend on the cart or mat or pressure. The best idea so far was to make the belt a bit more stretched. Maybe it will be reduced by using the speed box. Many thanks again!!!
Lemur

Russia

Postby gmw65 » 26 Jan 2015 21:11

No problem. Let us know how it works out.
gmw65

Canada

Postby Pachkulja » 02 Feb 2015 14:43

Hi all! I have questions about the technical characteristics of the parts of this TT.
1. I have a question about anti skating counterweight. How many gramms it is?
2. Also about belt drive : How lenght?
Pachkulja

Russia

Postby richard37 » 07 Feb 2015 18:25

And the fun part is that my supplier prefers the heavier platter, heavy is better.... The speed box is fun but it doesn't change the fact that the motors standard are cheap things . Then you have to do the inside with a better stronger motor, better pulley enz. and that ain't cheap, but he is right. Those tiny steps are often a waste of money. watch the price of tone arms, the step after the zephyr that I want is 400 euro more expensive. Besides that I don't like rega' cheap stuff. Those phono box and till 400 euro is cheap build ripoff stuf. Also with most other brands off course. But I would enjoy the gear that you have and if you want upgrades , just sell it, resell value is high enough or just sell it to the store you bought it and take one which is a lot more expensive, but has allready the stronger accurate motor with the drive unit built in and better tone arm . And don't forget speakers and stuff:), quite important . But the choice is pretty huge till 1500 euro, and sometimes you really have to look twice to see the difference these days. Goodluck
richard37

Netherlands

PreviousNext

Return to Turntables and Tonearms