the home of the turntable

Music Hall Mmf-2.2

snap, crackle and pop

Re: Music Hall Mmf-2.2

Postby gmw65 » 27 Mar 2013 06:29

I think if the cartridge is more than 6 grams you will need the heavier counterweight
gmw65

Canada

Postby TinEars44 » 02 Apr 2013 01:57

The tonearm's not the 8.6; it's the 9.
TinEars44

United States of America

Postby Brandon25373 » 09 Apr 2013 21:26

goojoob wrote:Hi! I also own this TT and its amazing.
Im thinking now about upgrading to the Acryl-it platter and the SpeedBox.
I am also thinking of changing the cartridge it has (a goldring elektra) to an MC Benz Micro Gold.
Do I need to buy the Pro-Ject 75g counterweight for this cartridge?
And, do you know which tonearm does the MMF 2.2 has? I cant find specifications about it.
Thanks!

I picked up the mmf 2.2 a couple of months ago and am really pleased with this table. I ordered it with the Acrul-it platter just knowing it was going to be a huge improvement which it was after comparing it to the stock steel platter. The biggest upgrade was the Pro-ject speedbox. It smoothed out the inconsistancies in the AC line voltage that was going straight into the motor. I also snagged a piece of granite from the hardware store to use as a platform for the table as well. These upgrades have all had a very positive influence on the sound quality out of this table. I recently ordered a KAB Supergrip record clamp weight which has made a significant difference in when playing lighter weight vinyl. I am at the point now of being able to hear the true performance of the cartridge, which I am beginning to notice is extremely bright and edgy. I am purposly using the stock tracker cartridge for now and plan up a serious upgrade once it's seen about 750 hours. Sorry to ramble on, but I think your thoughts on upgrades will be money well spent!
Brandon25373

United States of America

Postby gmw65 » 10 Apr 2013 06:06

750 hours!! I envy your patience. I changed mine with less than 100 hours. You don't need to spend a big amount to see a big improvement over the tracker. A Grado Gold worked well on mine for a couple of years but had some inner groove distortion. I ended up with an AT 440mla that is a great cartridge for the money.
gmw65

Canada

Postby goojoob » 12 Apr 2013 07:13

Brandon25373 wrote:
goojoob wrote:Hi! I also own this TT and its amazing.
Im thinking now about upgrading to the Acryl-it platter and the SpeedBox.
I am also thinking of changing the cartridge it has (a goldring elektra) to an MC Benz Micro Gold.
Do I need to buy the Pro-Ject 75g counterweight for this cartridge?
And, do you know which tonearm does the MMF 2.2 has? I cant find specifications about it.
Thanks!

I picked up the mmf 2.2 a couple of months ago and am really pleased with this table. I ordered it with the Acrul-it platter just knowing it was going to be a huge improvement which it was after comparing it to the stock steel platter. The biggest upgrade was the Pro-ject speedbox. It smoothed out the inconsistancies in the AC line voltage that was going straight into the motor. I also snagged a piece of granite from the hardware store to use as a platform for the table as well. These upgrades have all had a very positive influence on the sound quality out of this table. I recently ordered a KAB Supergrip record clamp weight which has made a significant difference in when playing lighter weight vinyl. I am at the point now of being able to hear the true performance of the cartridge, which I am beginning to notice is extremely bright and edgy. I am purposly using the stock tracker cartridge for now and plan up a serious upgrade once it's seen about 750 hours. Sorry to ramble on, but I think your thoughts on upgrades will be money well spent!

I've just received the Acryl-it platter. This new platter has different thickness than the stock steel platter, so i had to adjust the VTA.
I was surprised by this. I've read Pro-Ject Debut stock platter has the same thickness than Acryl-it platter. In my Music Hall, the thickness of the stock steel platter is lower than the Acryl-It. So.... what is the stock platter in the Music Hall MMF 2.2?
goojoob

Spain

Postby Brandon25373 » 14 Apr 2013 05:33

I thought for sure the Pro-Ject Debut platter was the same since they are both made by Sumiko. I purchased my platter along with the table, and it's a perfect fit. I didn't pay any attention when the guy went into the back room at the store and brought it out with the table. I will try to see if there is a model number on the box and follow up with you. But it sounds like you already have it fitted to your table. BTW, How's it sound?
Brandon25373

United States of America

Postby goojoob » 15 Apr 2013 09:12

Brandon25373 wrote:I thought for sure the Pro-Ject Debut platter was the same since they are both made by Sumiko. I purchased my platter along with the table, and it's a perfect fit. I didn't pay any attention when the guy went into the back room at the store and brought it out with the table. I will try to see if there is a model number on the box and follow up with you. But it sounds like you already have it fitted to your table. BTW, How's it sound?

The stock platter (its an alloy platter) in my MMF 2.2 is about 5mm lower than the Acryl-it platter in my MMF 2.2.
The Stock platter weight is 1.7Kg and the Acryl-it weight is 1.3Kg.
This afternoon i'll try to make photos to see the difference.
I had to adjust the VTA, but it sounds great, better than the stock platter for sure.
goojoob

Spain

Postby goojoob » 25 Apr 2013 12:42

Brandon25373 wrote:I am at the point now of being able to hear the true performance of the cartridge, which I am beginning to notice is extremely bright and edgy.

I notice the same, the stock cartridge (Goldring Elektra) it seems to be extremely bright and it distorts sometimes.
I have made a comparation of possible future cartridges based on my phono preamp gains (Clearaudio smart phono):

As you can see, the Optimum Gain for the Benz Micro MC Gold is 58dB and my phono preamp gives 54dB in MC mode.
The Benz Micro MC Silver optimum Gain is 44, and my phono preamp gives 54dB in MC mode (too much) or 35dB in MM mode (too low) so this cartridge seems not to be a good option.
goojoob

Spain

Postby goojoob » 07 Jun 2013 09:42

Amazing the improvement of the MMF 2.2 with the Benz Micro Gold!!!!
What a sound quality!
All central groove distortions and voices saturations are gone!
The sound now is perfect.
goojoob

Spain

Postby Alec124c41 » 07 Jun 2013 19:10

Excellent. =D> =D> =D>

Cheers,
Alec
Keep them spinning.
Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer

Canada

Postby whitegp » 08 Nov 2013 01:45

I have this turntable with an acrylic platter and an Ortofon 2M blue cart ( which are both offered as upgrades at Needle Doctor )

this is a wonderful turntable and I would HIGHLY recommend it. The sound is truly worth the extra $ for the upgrades given the base price for this turntable is reasonable. As previously stated, there are many options in carts, i would upgrade the stock offering if possible

I added a speedbox and a REK-O-KUT clamp last year and it made a big difference also ...

I run this turntable with a Carver CT-Seven pre-amp and 2 Carver TFM15-cb's which drive a pair of Klipsch KLF-30's
whitegp

Postby caligreens » 30 Nov 2013 22:09

I am looking at purchasing my first turntable in 10 years (previously had stanton DJ turntables) but now want something just for listening to great music and not DJing. I have read a lot of reviews and have primarily been comparing the pro-ject debut iii and the music hall 2.2. I found this deal on a used mmf 2.2. Can anyone give me some advice on the value of this deal? Should I make the purchase? Are there some specific questions I should ask? How much should I spend max? Any advice is much appreciated.

Here is the listing on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... TQ:US:1123

the cartridge is an Audiotechnica AT440MLa
caligreens

United States of America

Postby gmw65 » 02 Dec 2013 15:07

I sold mine with a Speedbox 2 and an Audio Technica 440mla for 400$ so for the turn table here with the platter upgrade I think 300$ would be fair.
gmw65

Canada

Postby Topmetom » 04 May 2014 16:15

goojoob wrote:
Brandon25373 wrote:I am at the point now of being able to hear the true performance of the cartridge, which I am beginning to notice is extremely bright and edgy.

I notice the same, the stock cartridge (Goldring Elektra) it seems to be extremely bright and it distorts sometimes.
I have made a comparation of possible future cartridges based on my phono preamp gains (Clearaudio smart phono):

As you can see, the Optimum Gain for the Benz Micro MC Gold is 58dB and my phono preamp gives 54dB in MC mode.
The Benz Micro MC Silver optimum Gain is 44, and my phono preamp gives 54dB in MC mode (too much) or 35dB in MM mode (too low) so this cartridge seems not to be a good option.

Sorry to resurrect this.....

I got a benz silver and heed questar mc stage but the sound is waaaaaaay to loud and distorts...its fine in my old project phono box se...which has a gain of 64db as stated here...http://www.audiodestination.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product/download&download_id=469

Is this the reason?
Topmetom

United Kingdom

Postby Jeff Aguilar » 14 Jun 2014 23:41

I have had this table for the past 18 months and I am really enjoying it. In the last 6 months I did get the acrylic platter. It does not collect the dust that the felt pad did. That is not why I bought it, it thought it just 'looked' better! And it does. I had a few friends ask me if I had bought a new turntable because they did not remember it looking like this.

This past week, I did change out the cartridge. I ended up getting the Denon 301MKII LOMC cartridge. I did buy the larger counter weight since it needed it. Wow, what a difference changing the cartridge made. I feel like I am discovering my records all over again! My older records sound new! It does such a great job at softening the pops and static. The soundstage has opened up and the music just seems more alive. Oh, and the bass, I did not expect that to improve so much.

Jeff
Jeff Aguilar

United States of America

PreviousNext

Return to Turntables and Tonearms