Wobbly subplatter on funk firm vector

snap, crackle and pop
Rallen

Wobbly subplatter on funk firm vector

Post by Rallen » 13 Feb 2020 21:37

Just got this wonderful deck, but Im having some serious issues with the subplatter and platter wobbling all over the place.

The 'hole' in the subplatter seems too big for the spindle really. Any ideas how i can fix it?

Videos:
http://imgur.com/a/SE85Jh6

Rallen

Re: Wobbly subplatter on funk firm vector

Post by Rallen » 13 Feb 2020 21:38

Also - if someone happens to have a manual, it would be greatly appreciated :-)

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 14 Feb 2020 15:49

Under Pink Triangle / Funk Firm, in the VE Library
https://www.vinylengine.com/library/pink-triangle.shtml

Cheers,
Alec

wine man
Great Britain

Post by wine man » 14 Feb 2020 16:17

Difficult to tell from afar, but it looks to me as if the bearing assembly isn't fully bolted to the underside of the deck/chassis as it seems to be moving around.

backtotheblack
Scotland

Post by backtotheblack » 14 Feb 2020 16:48

that my dear friend is the bearing not seated properly due to trapped air orrrr the jewel bearing is fubar.

given the height that the belt is riding at i would guess the bearing is not seated properly. STOP playing with it RIGHT NOW or you will wreck the bearing... you dont want to know how much it is to recondition a bearing.

Rallen

Post by Rallen » 15 Feb 2020 15:55

Thanks. Any ideas how to fix it? There seems to be screws underneath that is holding the 'bearing compartment'.

Can I simply remove it? And what should I look for inside?

Rallen

Post by Rallen » 15 Feb 2020 16:01

It did run at correct speed for the short time i ran it, if that gives any clues about the shape of the bearing.

Also the "stick" that goes into the subplatter doesnt move from side to side. It is only the subplatter that wobbles on the stick.

backtotheblack
Scotland

Post by backtotheblack » 16 Feb 2020 16:27

no need to remove the bolts holding the base of the "stick". as i have said the other part that slides onto the "stick" is the other part to the bearing and is connected to the sub platter. take the whole sub platter off and see if you can move the "stick" if not then put some thick oil on top of the "stick and a little round the shaft then place the sub platter back on without the belt. let it settle overnight to let it slide down the "stick".

if you gently push the sub platter it will feel bouncy if it does then there is still trapped air inside the bearing assembly. so let it settle more or put the platter on without the belt.

or the outer bearing/sub platter needs to be lifted slightly and positioned centre onto the top of the "stick".

you will know when it has settled properly as it will not wobble and there will be no "bounce".

BE VERY VERY CAREFUL..... there is a sapphire jewel on top of the "stick" if you crack it or smash it then the whole bearing/subplatter has to be sent off to tru-point to get fixed.

once you have got things settled properly and the platter is on without the belt the platter should spin if pushed for a good min+ if it grinds to a halt then the bearing is feked.

Rallen

Post by Rallen » 17 Feb 2020 22:17

Thanks for your suggestions. Its greatly appreciated.

I have looked more into it now, but still not getting closer. I get the part with the trapped air, but Im pretty certain this is not the case. When i fit the sub platter on my Rega and thorens, theres quite a lot of friction/trapped air making it go slowly down, wanting to move back up.

This is not the case with the vector at all. The stick and sub platter doesnt fit tightly enough together to cause any friction at all. The spindle can move very little from side to side itself, but the main wobbling seems to be caused by the fact that the hole in the subplatter shaft is bigger than the stick. When mounting the subplatter, it goes straight on, and it makes a little sound when something hits. Not sure whether this is caused by the two pieces of bearing reaching each other, or the shaft of the subplatter reaching the bottom of the well.

How exactly are the two pieces supposed to lock together? Does the inside of the subplatter tube get narrower around the end?

One Thing i have noticed is that the subplatter spins very freely with a very little friction. There just seems to be missing something to "lock" the two pieces together to stop the subplatter from wobbling because of the fact that the hole is wider than the stick.

Also, there seems to be quite a lot of old oil going on - both inside the subplatter and in the "well" around the stick. I am really tempted to give the inside of the subplatter a good cleaning and disassemble the whole bearing assembly in the plinth. I just dont have the courage as long as I still dont have any idea how the whole thing is built and supposed to work.

By the way - you are absolutely right about the fact that the belt likes to run very low on the subplatter. Before i even realized the wobbling, i had a lot of trouble getting the belt to stay on without running underneath the platter.

Everything held together, i am starting to think that either the "well" is too high on the plinth, causing the subplatter not to go down as far as it should, or something is stuck inside the subplatter, causing same result.

Getting really desperate here :-(

backtotheblack
Scotland

Post by backtotheblack » 18 Feb 2020 02:14

the "stick" (bearing shaft) should not move it should be rigid to the plinth.

the only other thing that might have occurred is the plastic bush at the bottom of the bearing housing is missing.

do a search on google images for Pink Triangle bearing to get an idea of what you should be looking at.

are you absolutely sure that the sapphire jewel is not missing from the top of the bearing shaft? that would cause a wobble as the ball bearing in the bearing housing is free to move around.

take the sub platter/bearing housing off and take a picture of the top of the bearing shaft and also the bottom of the bearing housing and post them up. this will give us a better idea of what might be wrong.