Question about Molykote grease

snap, crackle and pop
apastuszak
United States of America

Question about Molykote grease

Post by apastuszak » 13 Feb 2020 01:31

I've started to watch a bunch of YouTube videos from a channel called 12voltvids. The gentleman recommends using Molykote grease to lubricate turntables, because he says the grease lasts much longer than other greases.

So, I wanted to pick a tube up. And I quickly learned that Molykote is a family of products. I'm wondering which exact Molykote formula would be best for lubricating the automatic mechanisms inside a turntable?

I'm guessing it's one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/MOLYKOTE-BR-2-Pe ... 07PMLGWV1/

https://www.amazon.com/Corning-Molykote ... 0141NIS8M/

https://www.amazon.com/Dow-Corning-44-M ... 001VY1EL8/

What's even more confusing is that there is light AND medium grease version of Molykote 33 and 44.

Any help greatly appreciated.

musicmn
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: Question about Molykote grease

Post by musicmn » 13 Feb 2020 02:20

Hi, I've used molykote grease in wheel bearings in older cars when you were still able to do that type of work on cars. But to use it in a turntables mechanism to me it's way to thick even the lighter type. I've been using super lube grease in mechanisms on every turntable I service for a long time. As long as you clean out all the old dried up grease on every part of the mechanism you don't need something as heavy as molykote. I've had turntables come back to me that I serviced years ago for a light service and set up and found the super lube grease still in the mechanism and right where I put it. So I don't understand why they say molykote lasts longer. The less resistants you can put on the motor weather it's a belt drive, idler wheel drive, direct drive, the longer that motor is going to last. So my thinking is a lighter synthetic type grease that not only coats the surface but makes that surface slippery is easier for the motor to move so the better the turntable will work. So imo take the advice from you tube with a grain of salt and use what you think works the best. Because when it comes down to it the best thing to do is to get the old grease out of the mechanism and use fresh grease in its place. I personally don't use nearly as much grease in any mechanism as I remove and fine them to work as they should. I hope this helps.

chgc

Post by chgc » 13 Feb 2020 02:24

I’ve been using EM-30L, mostly because it seems appropriate and I already had some.

AsOriginallyRecorded
long player
long player
Canada

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 13 Feb 2020 02:39

Moly products are particularly good where there are heat and pressure issues, none of which really exist in a TT such that lighter, more suitable products won't be adequate. Additionally, the high cling characteristics of moly products require some care in application since they can easily contaminate other surfaces, and are very difficult to remove later. Great for extreme uses like.....older car axles, trailers, exposed gears, and similar rough service areas. Overkill for turntable spindles and mechanisms generally.

georgesgiralt
France

Post by georgesgiralt » 13 Feb 2020 03:05

Hello !
I routinely use BR2 to lubricate the dents in the rear wheel of my BMW airhead motorcycle. These dents serve the purpose to transmit the power to the road. On this application, you want extreme pressure resistance, very sticky property (you are in the rear brake drum....) and long lasting. This grease contains a lot of graphite and other chemicals to suit the job.
I always have a tube in my garage. Knowing that I won't EVER use it in a turntable internal except if the make advise so in the maintenance manual and VERY VERY sparingly (try to clean it up ... and you'll understand)

apastuszak
United States of America

Post by apastuszak » 13 Feb 2020 03:20

musicmn wrote:
13 Feb 2020 02:20
Hi, I've used molykote grease in wheel bearings in older cars when you were still able to do that type of work on cars. But to use it in a turntables mechanism to me it's way to thick even the lighter type. I've been using super lube grease in mechanisms on every turntable I service for a long time. As long as you clean out all the old dried up grease on every part of the mechanism you don't need something as heavy as molykote. I've had turntables come back to me that I serviced years ago for a light service and set up and found the super lube grease still in the mechanism and right where I put it. So I don't understand why they say molykote lasts longer. The less resistants you can put on the motor weather it's a belt drive, idler wheel drive, direct drive, the longer that motor is going to last. So my thinking is a lighter synthetic type grease that not only coats the surface but makes that surface slippery is easier for the motor to move so the better the turntable will work. So imo take the advice from you tube with a grain of salt and use what you think works the best. Because when it comes down to it the best thing to do is to get the old grease out of the mechanism and use fresh grease in its place. I personally don't use nearly as much grease in any mechanism as I remove and fine them to work as they should. I hope this helps.
I found 2 different threads from Google searches that say Super Lube only lasts about 5 years before things need to be re-lubed, and Molykote grease will last a lot longer. So, in the interest of not having to crack the turntable open every 5 years, I thought Molykote grease would be the way to go. But I'm far from an expert. There are quite a few YouTube videos and forum posts that talk about using Super Lube.

I think we all know that "audiophiles" will regurgitate knowledge someone else gave as truth, even though there is no proof that what was originally preached had any basis is actual science or even long term observation.

If you've used Super Lube and had zero issues with it, that sounds to me like a good reason to use it. It's possible this guy was told years ago by some other repair guy to only use Molykote because it lasts longer, and this guy has never even tried another lubricant.

Super Lube is cheap and available at Harbor Freight, 10 minutes from my house. I will be picking some up tomorrow.

AsOriginallyRecorded
long player
long player
Canada

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 13 Feb 2020 03:33

The point of the responses you got is that Molycote is a good product for what it is intended to be used on. Super Lube would not be a product of choice (necessarily) for the uses that Moly products would be ideal for. There are many specialized products that work fabulously on turntables....Moly is just not one of them. And whoever "this guy" is probably learned that by hands on experience, as anyone using Moly based products can attest. Enjoy using the Super Lube as a better choice. :|

apastuszak
United States of America

Post by apastuszak » 13 Feb 2020 03:45

AsOriginallyRecorded wrote:
13 Feb 2020 03:33
The point of the responses you got is that Molycote is a good product for what it is intended to be used on. Super Lube would not be a product of choice (necessarily) for the uses that Moly products would be ideal for. There are many specialized products that work fabulously on turntables....Moly is just not one of them. And whoever "this guy" is probably learned that by hands on experience, as anyone using Moly based products can attest. Enjoy using the Super Lube as a better choice. :|
Then, super lube it is. Thank you everyone for the advice and saving me from spending $20.00 a tube of Moly

Doug G.
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by Doug G. » 13 Feb 2020 07:00

Wheel bearing grease lasts a long, long time.

Doug

BillWojo
United States of America

Post by BillWojo » 13 Feb 2020 23:03

I use moly type grease on machine tools in places that have extreme pressure. It's very dirty to work with and tough to clean off of your hands. A really good grade of it will withstand 1/2 million pounds of film pressure before breaking down.
A fun use of it is to coat the under side of a tool chest draw pulls. When the unsuspecting person opens the drawer to get something out he winds up with it all over his finger tips. Even better if he doesn't notice and touches his face. LOL

Billwojo

lenjack
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by lenjack » 14 Feb 2020 00:25

I've seen some 12voltvids videos on youtube, and the guy is definitely not an amateur. He does seem to know his stuff, but I'm not endorsing his grease choice.

apastuszak
United States of America

Post by apastuszak » 14 Feb 2020 01:54

lenjack wrote:
14 Feb 2020 00:25
I've seen some 12voltvids videos on youtube, and the guy is definitely not an amateur. He does seem to know his stuff, but I'm not endorsing his grease choice.
His only reason for liking the stuff is because he says it takes way longer to dry out vs other greases.

georgesgiralt
France

Post by georgesgiralt » 14 Feb 2020 01:55

Hello,
After giving it some thought and sleeping on it, it could make sense.
Molykote BR2 is very sticky --> won't melt and go somewhere not wanted, not very slippery --> so the parts will be sliding/rotating easily but with some sticking and cherry on the cake, it is long lived.
If you use it very sparingly and wearing gloves, it could be the perfect product.
Di-sulfite-molybdenium is supposed to be harmful for humans and this stuff is full of it. So wear gloves....
And if you cannot find BR2, Honda Motorcycle sells a similar product called Honda Moly 60 (unavailable in Europe as some of the content are banned...)

apastuszak
United States of America

Post by apastuszak » 14 Feb 2020 12:31

georgesgiralt wrote:
14 Feb 2020 01:55
Hello,
After giving it some thought and sleeping on it, it could make sense.
Molykote BR2 is very sticky --> won't melt and go somewhere not wanted, not very slippery --> so the parts will be sliding/rotating easily but with some sticking and cherry on the cake, it is long lived.
If you use it very sparingly and wearing gloves, it could be the perfect product.
Di-sulfite-molybdenium is supposed to be harmful for humans and this stuff is full of it. So wear gloves....
And if you cannot find BR2, Honda Motorcycle sells a similar product called Honda Moly 60 (unavailable in Europe as some of the content are banned...)
DuPont says BR2 is designed for metal on metal contact. Their Molykote formulation for plastic on plastic is EM-30L. But there is a silicone based EM-30L and a silicone soap based EM-30L. They sure don't make it easy to pick one.

1200y3
long player
long player

Post by 1200y3 » 14 Feb 2020 15:57

Molykote actually works good as a dry lubricant, like graphite. The grease in the molykote will make it adhere. But if it ever drys out, it still works.

It is simple to tell if a lubricant does not work, and in lighter applications like a turntable, you would likely not have any trouble.

White lithium (other colors too) is another similar "style", and works great in heavy and high pressure metal on metal. In fact I t is nicer since black molykote stains can be difficult to clean.