Tell me about my setup - Ariston RD80

snap, crackle and pop
longc1779
New Zealand

Tell me about my setup - Ariston RD80

Post by longc1779 » 12 Feb 2020 04:34

I've recently dusted off my dad's Arsiton RD80. I'm unsure what tonearm has been used (if anyone recognizes it), but it has a nagaoka MP-15 cartridge. The sound quality seems relatively good, but it had been sitting in storage unused for 25+ years. If anyone knows a little more about any of these components, any hardware changes I should consider, and whether I should be aware of any aging issues due to the storage time then please let me know!
15814820643883925166479053248146.jpg
(85.48999999999999 KiB) Downloaded 160 times
20200212_165958.jpg
(77.55 KiB) Downloaded 157 times
20200212_170011.jpg
(50.95 KiB) Downloaded 156 times

goatbreath
long player
long player
Scotland

Re: Tell me about my setup - Ariston RD80

Post by goatbreath » 12 Feb 2020 10:37

You don't know how much the stylus has been used,so I would be careful about that going on your records,plus the rubber suspension fails,like other rubber things do with time..If everything works fine ,good stuff..I would clean out the oil in the main bearing and replace with new stuff,make sure you are not running on a dry bearing..A new belt is maybe in order to up the performance a little..The arm is probably an Ariston Enigma,I think made by Jelco..The newer Nagoaka styli I think fit the,MP110,MP150 etc..Not sure what they will sound like though,maybe some who has experienced that could comment there..I know an MP110 stylus on an MP11 body sounds different to an MP11 stylus on an MP110 body,I've done that experiment....The MP15 was good in it's day,the modern equivalent is the MP150,not a cheapo cartridge..Well though of too..The Ariston RD 80 is a good Hifi turntable,built to a cost,but quality..I have the other 2 in the range..They are really well built..The arm if all is working is decent too..Probably best with Moving Magnet cartridges I imagine..I may be wrong there though..

So Oil,Belt and Stylus hopefully is all you need to do..Even a lightly used stylus if not kept in an air sealed environment is liable to have dodgy suspension..I had an MP15 with a Nagaoka MP11 Boron Stylus in it..The suspension had gone in the stylus assembly and the cartridge sounded dull..

The Manual is also available in the library...It covers the RD80 the RD 110 and RD 11 Superieur.. :)

nat
long player
long player

Post by nat » 13 Feb 2020 00:32

Looks like your father knew what he was doing. I'm more optimistic about your stylus - in my experience, plenty survive the ravages of time pretty well - but at the same time, your father, since he clearly cared about records, may have played a bazillion of them with that stylus, so it may be worn. If you access to a microscope, you can check it - it's not that hard, but it does require more skill and attention than simply checking to see if it is pointy - if it is there at all, it will be, and the more worn it is, the pointier it will be.

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 13 Feb 2020 14:27

Very nice.
With a flashlight/torch, look for a reflection off the side of the very tip if the stylus. If there is one, replace the stylus.
The cartridge might need a bit of running in, after so long a rest.

Cheers,
Alec

DebsE
Northern Ireland

Post by DebsE » 13 Feb 2020 17:17

Get on to a Linn Dealer - change the suspension springs, grommets, washers, and aerotight nuts, for new items. Reset the suspension for a good, pistonic, vertical bounce.

Make sure that the arm cable is dressed properly, and not interfering with the suspension.

Fit a new drivebelt. Dependent upon the motor and pulley angle you might get away with a Linn LP12 belt (which are superior to the aftermarket Ariston belts). Over the last 7 years I have put several RD80 / RD80 SL together. Some would happily run a LP12 belt, others would not owing to fouling the dual nature of the drive pulley.

Bin the record clamp - it stifles the sound stage. Bin the rubber mat and replace with an LP12 mat or, if you can stretch to one, a Colaro Audio mat : https://collaroaudio.co.uk/products/col ... table-mat/

Give the bearing an oil change. I would suggest an oil that meets the requirements of SAE 10/40, API SG.

Chiltern
long player
long player
England

Post by Chiltern » 14 Feb 2020 00:01

+1 for oil, belt, stylus.

The Ariston mat is good quality and not using the clamp can give problems with centering discs. The plain portion of the spindle is short on the RD80's that have the thread for the clamp.

Enjoy, your father made a good choice..

longc1779
New Zealand

Post by longc1779 » 14 Feb 2020 08:38

Thanks everyone very helpful tips. I've picked up a new stylus, given the bearing an oil and have a new belt on the way (among other things), we'll see how it sounds once it is all tidied up.

DebsE
Northern Ireland

Post by DebsE » 14 Feb 2020 15:57

Chiltern wrote:
14 Feb 2020 00:01
The Ariston mat is good quality and not using the clamp can give problems with centering discs. The plain portion of the spindle is short on the RD80's that have the thread for the clamp.
I owed an SL in the early 1980's, never had a problem not using the clamp. Indeed, doing so kills the soundtage.

I've put together several over the last few years for both family and friends and they have never had a problem centring records.

WRT the mat, I've done several blind listening tests and the consensus every time was that the Linn felt mat sounded better than the rubber Ariston mat.

Chiltern
long player
long player
England

Post by Chiltern » 15 Feb 2020 00:00

DebsE wrote:
14 Feb 2020 15:57
Chiltern wrote:
14 Feb 2020 00:01
I owed an SL in the early 1980's, never had a problem not using the clamp. Indeed, doing so kills the soundtage.

I've put together several over the last few years for both family and friends and they have never had a problem centring records.

WRT the mat, I've done several blind listening tests and the consensus every time was that the Linn felt mat sounded better than the rubber Ariston mat.
If it works for you, fair enough, I can only speak from my own experience. I even attempted to machine a sleeve to fit an RD80 threaded spindle for use without the clamp, however the Ariston thread is 7mm and the dimensions are too tight. Maybe your Linn felt mat is thinner than the Ariston rubber mat.

On my own LP12, I found that a Linn felt mat an absolute pain with static, the mat sticking to discs when I lifted off, as mine is one of the first, I've reverted to the original rubber mat, works for me.

None of the 25 turntables that I still have are fitted with a felt mat now.

I stand by my comment, the RD80 is a well engineered product and a good choice with a 'recommended' in the Hi Fi choice review of the day.

nat
long player
long player

Post by nat » 15 Feb 2020 00:49

Wouldn't it make sense to see if a good, pistonic, vertcal bounce is already there, or can be achieved with a little attention, before rushing off to pay someone a substantial amount to redo the suspension?
If suspension springs fatigue so easily, one wonders about the abilities of the designers. Given the similarities of the Ariston and the Linn, if the Ariston springs are awful, why would the Linn ones be better? Maybe go for AR or Thorens springs - they seem to be fine half a century later. But of course, probably the Ariston and Linn ones are too. If you have gone along with all the various (and expensive) Linn upgrades, than probably the weight of your subchassis is much different and you do need new springs, but the other companies (including direct drive makers) seem to have been satisfied with their turntables from the git go. Probably they could be improved, but at what cost? And what do all the upgrades say about the claims made for the original? Were they bogus?

goatbreath
long player
long player
Scotland

Post by goatbreath » 15 Feb 2020 00:58

I have read so many times that using Linn Springs messes both Thorens and Ariston Decks up..
So many warnings of,don't do it..
Even a slightly stretched original part belt can cause Wow..
As I am experiencing with my Thorens TD160 just now,the belt is only 3 years old..
I'm getting 0.36 W&F..My LP12 I am getting 0.07.Pre Valhalla by the way..
So a different Belt and Springs,and sometimes the belt won't reach you say..

I've Double sided sticky taped my felt mat to the platter on my LP 12..
I remove the outside platter with Mat on..
I think it cleaned the timing up too,I also took the hardboard base off..
Now that was really congested and lacking soundstage before that..
It gets mounted on a wallshelf,on a piece of light particle board on top of the original shelf..
I don't have the original rubber Mat..I tried it with an early Rega Planar rubber Mat and thought the felt sounded better..
It can be a total pain in the Bum though..

With clamping,just a nip and no more is best.I don't have the clamp for my RD 11 Superieur,
or the proper mat..I also get the impression the platter s slightly concave..
I sometimes use the clamp on my Michell Mycro though..
Too tight and I think things sound congested and lack air..
A clamp can be a handy thing though.
As for throwing the clamp and mat in the bin.
I wish I had the clamp for my RD11 Superieur and a proper Ariston Mat..
Same with the Mat for the RD 110SL too..
That Nextel is a pain..The RD11o also likes to throw off the non original belt,
so it gets started by hand and I switch it on while revolving.
Probably just a suspension tweak needed

cre009
England

Post by cre009 » 15 Feb 2020 10:14

Attached is the Hi-Fi Choice review mentioned by Chiltern.

The platter at 2.45 kg is considerably lighter than the Linn platter at 4.5 kg which is why Linn springs may not be ideal.
Attachments
rd80-3.jpg
(268.18 KiB) Downloaded 39 times

Chiltern
long player
long player
England

Post by Chiltern » 15 Feb 2020 11:14

Goatbreath, has your Ariston got the threaded spindle, I can soon machine something if you need it.

The RD110SL had a tendancy to shed the flat belt, again referred to in a Hi fi choice review and Ariston reverted to a square section belt and clutch as the RD11S. Never had any problem with the 2 I've owned though, yes Nextel a pain.You are correct, some Ariston models have a slightly concave platter.

I've had many Aristons over the years and retained the mats when decks sold for little money. I use Ariston mats on a couple of GL75 Goldring decks with good results. When the original Linn rubber mat was superceeded, the mat appeared on early Rega decks with the Linn wording 'buffed' off, have a cut down example on a Garrard changer.

Now only have one Ariston, an RD11S, but with Linn parts (by necessity, the deck arrived with a broken spindle), the inner platter/bearing and motor. I have machine tools so you can make most things fit. Years ago now, but Linn parts were inexpensive then as Linn owners discarded them in the constant quest to upgrade.

Alan

DebsE
Northern Ireland

Post by DebsE » 15 Feb 2020 18:04

cre009 wrote:
15 Feb 2020 10:14
Attached is the Hi-Fi Choice review mentioned by Chiltern.

The platter at 2.45 kg is considerably lighter than the Linn platter at 4.5 kg which is why Linn springs may not be ideal.
What that doesn't tell you is that the combined weight of inner and outer platters and sub-chassis of the RD80 is about the same as the combined weight of inner and outer platters and sub-chassis of the Linn, owing to the fact that the Ariston has a great big (heavy) brass bearing housing, whereas the Linn has a nylon bearing housing.

I built a 'Liiniston' for a friend in the USA several years ago using my old pre-Cirkus LP12 sub-chassis, bearing, and inner platter. We had to machine the outer platter slightly to fit and, yes, on Linn springs it suffered from 'footfall. With a Linn outer platter it works fine.

Having built several RD80 / RD80 SL over the last 8 or so years, I reiterate, the stock RD80 works fine on Linn springs - I've even got one currently sitting on a shelf next to my LP12. Within it's limitations (compared to a specced up LP12), ie LVX+ / AT95e / Paratrace, it sounds pretty sublime.
Last edited by DebsE on 15 Feb 2020 18:18, edited 1 time in total.

DebsE
Northern Ireland

Post by DebsE » 15 Feb 2020 18:14

Chiltern wrote:
15 Feb 2020 00:00

If it works for you, fair enough, I can only speak from my own experience. I even attempted to machine a sleeve to fit an RD80 threaded spindle for use without the clamp, however the Ariston thread is 7mm and the dimensions are too tight. Maybe your Linn felt mat is thinner than the Ariston rubber mat.
I've just measured up on the RD80 SL sitting on the shelf in my lounge.The threaded spindle stands(in total) some 13mm proud of the Linn mat. The unthreaded part itself stands some 4.5mm proud.
Chiltern wrote:
On my own LP12, I found that a Linn felt mat an absolute pain with static, the mat sticking to discs when I lifted off, as mine is one of the first, I've reverted to the original rubber mat, works for me.
In over35 years of LP12 ownership that has rarely been an issue for me, especially since owning an RCM.
Chiltern wrote:
I stand by my comment, the RD80 is a well engineered product and a good choice with a 'recommended' in the Hi Fi choice review of the day.
I agree. For the money it was, and is, a cracking turntable.

One further point, on the RD80 the plinth is veneered chipboard which is attached to a steel lower section / baseboard. I find using some Dynamat here to be beneficial.