How much is a Sansui sr-737 worth?

snap, crackle and pop
melissa_mcl
United States of America

How much is a Sansui sr-737 worth?

Post by melissa_mcl » 26 Jan 2020 20:52

Hello all,

I am very new to turntables, and I am trying to buy one. I am wondering how much money a Sansui SR-737 is worth. I've been able to find information on other Sansui models, but this one seems elusive... It comes with a Yamaha a-40 amplifier, and is being sold for $150. Is this a good deal?

Thanks!

terry-a
long player
long player

Re: How much is a Sansui sr-737 worth?

Post by terry-a » 26 Jan 2020 21:00

If it all works properly I would say yes. The table was built when Sansui made beautiful direct drive turntables. I believe this one may not be quartz controlled, but I wouldn't concern myself with that at this price point if everything is working.

You will obviously need speakers. The amp will need a phono input or else you'll need a phono pre-amp. The cartridge or stylus may need to be replaced.

Have you seen and heard this turntable and amp in operation?

See this page: https://www.vinylengine.com/library/sansui/sr-737.shtml

melissa_mcl
United States of America

Post by melissa_mcl » 26 Jan 2020 21:18

That's awesome to hear. I have some speakers at my house that I think would work - they are currently connected to a cd changer.

I am a bit confused with the whole amp / phono pre-amp thing. I know that a phono pre-amp amplifies the sound to something that speakers can detect, but can the Yamaha a-40 amplifier do the same thing? The seller said it will likely need a new cartridge.

I haven't seen it yet. It's being sold online. Is there anything I should look for when picking it up? I'm not sure if I'll be able to see it in operation, but the seller says they are both in working condition.

Thanks for the link!

terry-a
long player
long player

Post by terry-a » 26 Jan 2020 21:36

Many of us enjoy vintage equipment. Some advise against it because there are often issues to deal with. Were it me, if I didn't want a project, I'd want to see/hear it in operation. Often something that operated perfectly years ago then placed in storage may need work now.

Phono cartridges need an additional level of amplification that your tape deck or cd player doesn't require. This amplification is done by a phono amp, or phono pre-amp, or phono stage. It goes by various names. If the amp, which I assume is an integrated amp or receiver, has a phono button or switch, and a phono input on the back, it has this device built in. Many vintage amps/receivers have this feature but it started being left out when cd playback became popular. What model is the Yamaha?

Regarding what you would look for, just proper function. The table needs to play a record from start to finish. It needs to spin at a consistent speed. The tonearm needs to lift and drop at a gentle rate. It should do what a turntable should do. The amp should amplify the sound and output it to the speakers. The volume control should function properly without delivering a crackling sound to the speakers while being operated. All inputs should function. When switching inputs you shouldn't hear a crackling sound.

melissa_mcl
United States of America

Post by melissa_mcl » 26 Jan 2020 21:52

Thanks for the advice! And the really clear explanation of pre-amps.

The amplifier is a Yamaha Natural Sound Stereo Amplifier A-40. I don't know what year it's from though. In the picture it looks like it has a button that says "phono"! But there is no picture of the back.

terry-a
long player
long player

Post by terry-a » 26 Jan 2020 22:02

I'm not familiar with the amplifier but there is an A-40 at HiFi Engine. Are you sure this is the model? It's listed at HiFi Engine as having 105 watts output. The A-400 is listed as having 40 watts output. Is this on Craigslist? Can you provide a link?

The phono button on the front is a good sign, but on rare occasions it doesn't provide 100% certainty that a phono amp is built in. However it most like means that it does.

melissa_mcl
United States of America

Post by melissa_mcl » 26 Jan 2020 22:10

Here's the link: https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/for ... 68716.html

I was able to talk the seller down a bit, so I think I'm going to risk it even if I can't give it a test run first!

What is the difference between a 105 and 40 watt output? Does that reflect how much the sound is amplified?

terry-a
long player
long player

Post by terry-a » 26 Jan 2020 22:13

Yes, it's a power rating. But I only mention it because I was trying to determine which amp you were looking at so we could assertion whether or not it had a built in phono amp.

Looking at the listing........

terry-a
long player
long player

Post by terry-a » 26 Jan 2020 22:22

It looks like it has the phono amp built in. Hopefully both the table and the amp function properly.

I'm surprised no one else has chimed in.

If you get it check in here and start a new thread for questions about maintenance, operation, etc.

terry-a
long player
long player

Post by terry-a » 26 Jan 2020 22:24

By the way, you're opening a hole new can of worms here. I hope you enjoy the ride.

melissa_mcl
United States of America

Post by melissa_mcl » 26 Jan 2020 22:27

That's awesome - the fewer things to buy, the better.

Thanks so much for all the info! I'll post an update when I get it. I'm so excited! It's hard to find information on this specific model, so it'll be cool to get to see it.

terry-a
long player
long player

Post by terry-a » 26 Jan 2020 22:32

If you sign up at hifiengine you can download the manual for the amp if it's not included.

The amp came with a remote. I'd hope to get that with the package as well.

melissa_mcl
United States of America

Post by melissa_mcl » 26 Jan 2020 22:37

Got it! That's so cool! Fingers crossed the remote is still around.