Tone arm elevating switch

snap, crackle and pop
jm2628
United States of America

Tone arm elevating switch

Post by jm2628 » 26 Jan 2020 02:47

Hi, I'm new to the site. I just bought a pioneer pl-15 and it's not in the best condition cosmetically, but mechanically everything seemed to be fine. That is until I realized that the arm elevator switch does not lift the tone arm.

It also appears that when the tone arm auto-returns to the resting position the elevating arm under the tone arm fails to lift. What I am worried about is the stylus dragging across the vinyl when it starts to return.

Has anyone dealt with this problem before? Is this something I will be able to fix myself? I also am not sure how to disassemble the unit past removing the belt and the tray that the vinyl sits on. Any tips would be much appriciated!

Japi Roelofs
long player
long player
Netherlands

Re: Tone arm elevating switch

Post by Japi Roelofs » 26 Jan 2020 12:32

Hi and welcome to the forum

It sounds like the tonearm lifter is not raising the arm. This could be caused by a piece of rubber, that is supposed to sit on the lifter bar, that has disintegrated. This is a known problem on these older PL-15 models.

I worked on one of these a couple of weeks ago. This is what the tonearm lifter bar looked like when I got it:
Pioneer PL-15C 2.jpg
(141.52 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
As you can see the rubber strip on the metal bar had completely rotted away. What I did was I removed the metal bar (you can see the screw in the picture, remove it and you can lift out the metal piece) and cleaned it with some alcohol, until it was smooth.
Then I glued on a piece of rubber hose I had lying around:
Pioneer PL-15C 4.jpg
(144.31 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
As there is no way to adjust the height of the lifter bar, you need to make sure the rubber strip has the right height. This is a matter of experimenting / improvising.

Of course it could be that your problem is caused by something else, so the first thing to do is see if the metal bar responds to the cueing switch, i.e. if you can see it move up and down.

Hope this helps, please let us know how you get along.

jm2628
United States of America

Re: Tone arm elevating switch

Post by jm2628 » 26 Jan 2020 13:19

Well I had the whole thing in pieces last night and i was able to adjust the tone arm height. Once it was all back together I now have the problem that the stylus sits about 1/8" above the surface of the record... Now I'm thinking that the rubber piece was all I needed! Going to readjust the height and find a piece to glue on.

Thanks for your help
Japi Roelofs wrote:
26 Jan 2020 12:32
Hi and welcome to the forum

It sounds like the tonearm lifter is not raising the arm. This could be caused by a piece of rubber, that is supposed to sit on the lifter bar, that has disintegrated. This is a known problem on these older PL-15 models.

I worked on one of these a couple of weeks ago. This is what the tonearm lifter bar looked like when I got it:

Pioneer PL-15C 2.jpg

As you can see the rubber strip on the metal bar had completely rotted away. What I did was I removed the metal bar (you can see the screw in the picture, remove it and you can lift out the metal piece) and cleaned it with some alcohol, until it was smooth.
Then I glued on a piece of rubber hose I had lying around:

Pioneer PL-15C 4.jpg

As there is no way to adjust the height of the lifter bar, you need to make sure the rubber strip has the right height. This is a matter of experimenting / improvising.

Of course it could be that your problem is caused by something else, so the first thing to do is see if the metal bar responds to the cueing switch, i.e. if you can see it move up and down.

Hope this helps, please let us know how you get along.