Newbie looking for help with Admiral turntable restore

snap, crackle and pop
XOMR
United States of America

Newbie looking for help with Admiral turntable restore

Post by XOMR » 25 Jan 2020 23:26

Hello,

Newbie to forums and vintage turntables and I recently dumpster-dove this Admiral turntable:
IMG_20191115_165342~2.jpg
(18.03 KiB) Downloaded 53 times
IMG_20191115_135725.jpg
(132.84 KiB) Downloaded 50 times
The platter spins and the needle works but there's no amplified sound so something upstream of the stylus is busted. I'd like to restore but before I take it apart and go after it all I want to make sure the mechanics of the turntable and record changer are in proper working condition. I'm new to record changers and am trying to figure out if it all works.

My first question is what should the REJ do switch in relationship to the overarms location? Currently with it deployed (over the record) it will drop another record onto the table and then switch itself off. With it not deployed, the tonearm lifts up pivots off the table while the spindle will retract (as if to drop another record), and the tonearm will pivot back setting down on the table. These seem backwards to me.

My second question is when I have the turntable set to replay a record (overarm not deployed) when the tonearm reaches the end of the record it retracts then resets itself but at the beginning of what would be a 10" LP, not a 12". (Same placement as the REJ switch mentioned above.) Is there something I could tweak so it knows the difference between a 10" or 12" or is this particular model designed for 10" records?

Thanks very much everyone. Appreciate any insight or suggestions you might have.

XOMR

musicmn
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: Newbie looking for help with Admiral turntable restore

Post by musicmn » 26 Jan 2020 00:29

Hi and welcome to the forum. As far as the issues with the turntable these are being caused by very old dried out grease in the mechanism. When the grease that the factory used to lubricate the mechanism drys up it turns to glue and will cause all kinds of issues with the movement of the tonearm, levers, and switches in the mechanism. The only way to fix these issues is to completely disassemble the mechanism. Then use alcohol or similar cleaner to clean off the old grease from every thing in the mechanism. You may even need a large soldering iron or gun to heat pivot point of levers to melt the old grease so that lever can be removed for cleaning. When all of the old grease is removed then use lithium grease to lubricate the mechanism as you assemble it. The motor at this point in time also needs to be disassembled because the bearings are bone dry by now. After disassembly the upper and lower bearings need to be soaked in alcohol to remove the old dried up oil thats left in them. Once that has been done then the bearings must be allowed to dry and then new sewing machine oil added to the felt washer in each bearing until it is well saturated.Then the motor can be assembled and tested for correct speed. The platter on these old changers are run by and idler wheel which pushes on the motor's pulley and on a rim under the platter. The idler wheels are made of rubber and usually they are hard from age and need to be rebuilt so the platter will run at the correct speed and run quietly. Next thing to check is the cartridge which is either a ceramic or crystal type neither of which lasted very long and will most likely need to be replaced. This could be one reason there is no sound coming from the unit. The other reason for no sound could be that the tonearm wires are bad I have seen the coating on the tonearm wires in these old units just fall off exposing bare wire. The amplifier appears to be a tube type unit that again will most likely need a full restoration to bring it back to life. All this work can be done I know I use to restore units like these and consoles but no longer. You need a lot of time, patience, and some $$$ to do a proper restore. And IMO in the end you will have a nice turntable to play old records on but you will not want to play anything new on it. I hope this helps and good luck with the restoration.

XOMR
United States of America

Post by XOMR » 26 Jan 2020 23:31

Thanks for the info. I think I'm up for it - worse case it goes back to the dumpster from which it came. Seems likely I'll run into more issues the deeper I get into it. Would this section of the forum be the best to post pictures and questions?

musicmn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by musicmn » 27 Jan 2020 22:14

Hi XOMR, yes this is the place to post any question and pictures of the turntable.

nat
long player
long player

Post by nat » 27 Jan 2020 22:43

You may already be well acquainted with tube electronics and just asking about the mechanical part of your set, but if you are new to both, please be aware that tube circuits involve very high voltages, and some tube amps are live chassis designs, and if a capacitor fails the metal work can give you a very dangerous zap.
This is not to say you shouldn't work on it, but if you are new to this sort of thing, do some research and be careful.