Denon DP-35f starting very slow, better after few tries

snap, crackle and pop
Peertronic
Switzerland

Denon DP-35f starting very slow, better after few tries

Post by Peertronic » 25 Jan 2020 15:34

I bought a second hand TT, Denon DP-35f which apparently had been kept in a dark place for while and not used.
I took the risk after reading a bit on several fora. It seems to have been well treated long time ago, nothing out of the ordinary on scratches on the cover.
But....
It did not start right away, had to push the arm in and then it started to move slowly towards the record. After trying a few times start and stop it seems getting better after a while. My impression is that every time it hasn’t been used for a day or so it reacts slowly or not at all without help.
I opened the cover looked and there’s nothing mechanical that seems blocked or frictional, cleaned the two little podometers with contactcleaner. Seems (placebo effect?) to work slightly better, but for real, what could this be, it’s not broken just “rusty”. How can this be? I figure the IC is either working or not, right? Anybody a suggestion?

lenjack
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: Denon DP-35f starting very slow, better after few tries

Post by lenjack » 25 Jan 2020 16:11

Welcome to our forum. The owner's and service manual are in the library, at the top of this page. After securing and tying down the arm, remove the platter. It should lift right off. Put 1 drop off LIGHT oil at the base of the spindle, and replace the platter. Rotate the platter by hand a few times. If you're lucky, all will be well. It may be that the old oil dried out. Let us know.

Peertronic
Switzerland

Post by Peertronic » 25 Jan 2020 16:44

Thanks a lot for the warm welcome. I haver returned to vinyl after an absence of 30 years 😏. Now my sons want vinyl too that’s why I bought them something decent.
But...your answer suggests the platter to be the cause. In my view the platter starts immediately after I push the arm towards the record.
I was thinking about the automatic mechanism. First time it did not start at all. Now after a few times after pressing the start button and stop a few times it gets better. Stopping never is a problem but was also a bit slow at first, so still oil for the platter drive?

lenjack
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by lenjack » 25 Jan 2020 17:33

With the turntable off, start it rotating by hand, manually. If the platter lubrication is satisfactory, it should continue to rotate for at least a minute, if all is well.

Peertronic
Switzerland

Post by Peertronic » 26 Jan 2020 02:12

It’s spinning well. Turntable reacts fast by reference of the qurtz lock. So I think the motor of the platter is fine. When I opened the TT earlier today I noticed that the arm moves by means of 3 spindles controlling a magnet.
For me the cause seems to be coming from the servo control

lenjack
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by lenjack » 26 Jan 2020 02:16

Obviously doesn't need spindle oiled then. Let's hope it's not coming from the ICs. Some of these may not be obtainable. Good luck.

Peertronic
Switzerland

Post by Peertronic » 26 Jan 2020 08:11

My son can live with this small inconvenience, just needs a push once every time he starts it up, after that it’s fine. It’s just the DIY in me that wants it solved 😄. So I keep looking for a solution. Somehow find it hard to believe it’s one of the ICs. For me it would be it works or it doesn’t. Never heard of warming it up.

BoblK

Post by BoblK » 27 Jan 2020 00:37

Sounds like a capacitor might be loosing its charge. Once it runs for a little while it gets charged up and functions. Are there capacitors on the board that controls the arm? Check them or just replace them all. They are old and will probably need replaced sooner than later.

Peertronic
Switzerland

Post by Peertronic » 30 Jan 2020 17:25

That makes sense. I am slightly familiar with electronics so know what to look for as I habe downloaded the service manual from here.
I will see if I can measure which one. Good idea thanks!

Peertronic
Switzerland

Post by Peertronic » 01 Feb 2020 11:27

Follow up question: I see you can buy them as an upgrade kit, but then they just contain 30. I counted in the service manual more than 50.
but when I go out myself searching for capacitors I am overwhelmed by the variation.
Any suggestions?

Peertronic
Switzerland

Post by Peertronic » 13 Feb 2020 23:45

So I ordered the kit with 30 electrolyte capacitors. For a rainy weekend....
I will get back with feedback on the improvements.