New Member with a Question

snap, crackle and pop
dbla
United States of America

New Member with a Question

Post by dbla » 25 Jan 2020 15:22

Hey all,

New here! I’m a pretty casual vinyl collector and a couple years back my wife and I picked up an Audio Technika AP120 for our home. As our collection has grown I’ve had the urge to upgrade the turntable to something that a. Sounds better and b. Looks cooler.

The catch comes from the fact that I feed the AT120 directly into a Sonos CONNECT to be played throughout the house. I’m wondering if that connection would serve as a bottleneck for the audio quality? The Sonos is immensely convenient we can play our LPs in any room without running speaker wire, but I recognize that wireless likely has it’s limitations.

What I don’t want to do is dump a bunch of money into a new turntable for no reason apart from aesthetics.

Any advice??

Thanks in advance,

- Aaron from Nashville

lenjack
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: New Member with a Question

Post by lenjack » 25 Jan 2020 16:16

Welcome to our forum. The bottleneck to audio quality may be the Sonos system itself, not the turntable.

dbla
United States of America

Post by dbla » 25 Jan 2020 16:18

lenjack wrote:
25 Jan 2020 16:16
Welcome to our forum. The bottleneck to audio quality may be the Sonos system itself, not the turntable.
Yeah, that was my worry. Not sure we're really set up to change the system entirely, unfortunately.

GTH

Post by GTH » 25 Jan 2020 16:39

[/quote]

Not sure we're really set up to change the system entirely, unfortunately.
[/quote]

I assume your TT came with an installed cartridge?(AT95e?)
A cartridge upgrade may suit your needs.
Suggestions are sure to follow.

tlscapital
long player
long player
Belgium

Post by tlscapital » 25 Jan 2020 19:33

Both are right. A change for a better cartridge should improve some at least your Sonos 'Connect' bottleneck juice.

But only that though. And the AT120 integrated preamp shouldn't allow any better cartridge to 'shine' through if ever.

FWIW I'd have thought such Sonos device to aim for digital playback use rather than analog. Analog yob that I am...

Phono people (yes that sort) always have their turntable at reach BTW. And your AR-120 is of the manual kind ?!... ;)

So if you really want to upgrade your phono playback experience, I'm kinda afraid you'll have to review it all.

This doesn't necessary mean a huge budget, even less so if going for second hand, but a whole approach change.

scrapjack+

Post by scrapjack+ » 25 Jan 2020 21:00

tlscapital wrote:
25 Jan 2020 19:33
Both are right. A change for a better cartridge should improve some at least your Sonos 'Connect' bottleneck juice.

But only that though. And the AT120 integrated preamp shouldn't allow any better cartridge to 'shine' through if ever.

FWIW I'd have thought such Sonos device to aim for digital playback use rather than analog. Analog yob that I am...

Phono people (yes that sort) always have their turntable at reach BTW. And your AR-120 is of the manual kind ?!... ;)

So if you really want to upgrade your phono playback experience, I'm kinda afraid you'll have to review it all.

This doesn't necessary mean a huge budget, even less so if going for second hand, but a whole approach change.
If you are handy with a soldering iron, you might be able to wire the tone arm wires directly to the RCA outputs, bypassing the internal preamp, this may eliminate point 2 above. This can allow you to get a better cartridge you might transfer to a better table later. This thread mentions that and changing the slip mats.https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_f ... 7&start=15

I see that the sonos are wifi based. I know that is the same frequency as bluetooth, but not sure how the quality differs. They are constantly coming out with new bluetooth profiles, but as far as I understand they all still reduce any signal to the same quality of internet based audio streaming, spotify, pandora, ect. I might recommend if you want to keep wireless speakers throughout the house, to use a regular preamp/amp with good speakers in the room of the turntable, and either the sonos, or a basic bluetooth transmitter plugged into the headphone output for broadcast to the rest of your house.

"Coolness" is relative; I think a black diamond plate turntable would be cool, probably a minority there, but "better" can be measured. If you are looking for recommendations on a new turntable, then knowing if you want or need the option for 78RPM is useful, as that would narrow down the options allot, while expanding the music options. I personally have much more 78's than 45's, but the market suggests most people don't need 78 rpm, do you? Also a budget range is important, as I have seen people here suggest "cheap" $300 options for hifi gear. Lastly, if you have a preference for belt drive or direct drive. You can find endless arguments across the web as to the pros and cons of each. These three details can help people give better suggestions.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 26 Jan 2020 05:21

Welcome to VE! =D>

And since you're from Nashville, Aaron...If you did want to go in another direction, you might want to check this guy out! I like what he has to say! :D

https://nashville.craigslist.org/ele/d/ ... 40076.html

AudioFeline
Australia

Post by AudioFeline » 28 Jan 2020 10:07

I think old heavy transcription idler turntables look cool (actually, anything with a hammertone finish looks cool to me), and modern "DJ"-styled turntables look "uncool". Many feel the opposite (I don't understand why).

tlscapital
long player
long player
Belgium

Post by tlscapital » 28 Jan 2020 10:51

AudioFeline wrote:
28 Jan 2020 10:07
I think old heavy transcription idler turntables look cool (actually, anything with a hammertone finish looks cool to me), and modern "DJ"-styled turntables look "uncool". Many feel the opposite (I don't understand why).
\:D/