Starting with a Systemdek IIX tt, how's this combination of equipment

snap, crackle and pop
triacon
United States of America

Starting with a Systemdek IIX tt, how's this combination of equipment

Post by triacon » 24 Jan 2020 14:51

Hi,
I have a Systemdek IIX with original tonearm (Profile)
Shure Cartridge M55ME
Hudson Hi-Fi cork mat with cork "islands" on it...
Silicon blocks under TT
Clark Music Industries 4 Way (floor speakers) 8 Ohm speakers made in Clark NJ in the 1980's
Pioneer Integrated Amp SA-9500

how does the combination of this equipment sound to experienced builders of a system?
are there any components that you find out of place?

nat
long player
long player

Re: Starting with a Systemdek IIX tt, how's this combination of equipment

Post by nat » 24 Jan 2020 22:40

Don't know the speakers - there was a Clarke (I think that was the spelling) that made quite good speakers in Connecticut and Rhode Island, often with formica rather than veneer or vinyl, which probably had acoustic merit, but just didn't look that great. They also made many of the Leiser Superstore/other big box electronics places private brand speakers, which didn't help their credibility as audiophile contenders, but they were often pretty nice sounding.

I think your system ought to be good, but I'd experiment with the turntable on the silicon blocks and off them - sometimes what appears to be an improvement is merely a complication. Ditto the mat - mats in general seem to be very component specific, and in one system will sound good and in another not so much.
I had the SA 9500 back in the mid 70s. I liked it very much, though the cosmetics were a large part of the draw. Built the Hafler preamp and power amp kits and passed the amp on.

triacon
United States of America

Post by triacon » 25 Jan 2020 02:17

Thanks nat.
Clark Music Industries was a company started up by a guy named Hilliard Getchis. He was a chief engineer in the Merchant Marines, WWII. Owned Clark Lumber and then also created CMI (my shorthand). I like the speakers. I think he “cloned” what was offered concurrently but sold them at a better price. I Rebuilt the woofers with new surrounds a few years ago. There is a circuit board inside them. Wondering how to test them with a meter to see if anything is in need of replacement... anyway,
the companies were in Clark NJ, near where I grew up. I don’t want to change out the tonearm, but I have seen that people sometimes do. I also don’t care to change out the cartridge but its an easier thing to do and probably not a major cost so I am wondering if that is something to consider. Actually getting the Pioneer Int Amp tomorrow. Been using an Onkyo receiver that is lower in wattage up till tomorrow...! So, what are the calculations on how to decide turntable, tonearm, cartridge? Like, if you are willing to change out cartridge but not the other 2, what do you look at in terms of specs?

triacon
United States of America

Post by triacon » 25 Jan 2020 02:23

Oh, another thing about the turntable. I have seen that some swap out the glass platter with acrylic. Wondering about Delrin as yet another material... or just keep the glass. BTW still have the original felt mat, so once I set up the Pioneer Int Amp I can compare felt and cork mats.