TT upgrade advice

snap, crackle and pop
PVPexagon
Netherlands

TT upgrade advice

Post by PVPexagon » 24 Jan 2020 08:22

Good morning!

I wonder if I could ask for a little advice.

I currently have a Rega P1 Plus. Following a tax rebate, I have a bit of spare cash, and, so, quite a happy problem. I want to upgrade my TT.

I have a good offer from Mark at Originlive to get his Onyx tonearm which looks superb but maybe a bit of overkill for the P1P.

I can get a Rega P2 or P3 with bundled Elys 2 and the Rega Fono MM phono stage. If I were to fit the Onyx to a P3, I could then fit the RB303 on the P1 Plus and sell to offest the cost of the Onyx.

This would be a dream setup for me. I won't be able to upgrade again for at least a few years so I thought I'd run my idea past you.

My amp is a TEAC AH500i (still pretty good I think) and the speakers are a renovated pair of Mission 780s (new Mission woofers following the well-documented tech problems they had).

It kind of makes sense but do you think the amp and speakers are good enough to really let a modified P3 shine?

Would the money be better spent elsewhere in my system?

Thanks for any help or ideas

Legrace
long player
long player
Canada

Re: TT upgrade advice

Post by Legrace » 24 Jan 2020 14:06

Another option is keep the P1 as is and list the RB303 separately. I listed one in the past and it sold quickly.

Pauw
Netherlands

Re: TT upgrade advice

Post by Pauw » 24 Jan 2020 14:37

Being in The Netherlands......I would look at Marktplaats and see what you can find in the way of a good second hand table. Maybe a Technics , Dual or even a Philips ....might be available for less than a Rega 3 . In my opinion the Rega 3 is OK but second hand you can do better.