Mechanics Stethoscope

snap, crackle and pop
jdjohn
long player
long player
United States of America

Mechanics Stethoscope

Post by jdjohn » 23 Jan 2020 04:01

This tool can come in very handy when evaluating a turntable's performance.
Mechanics Stethoscope:
s-l1600.jpg
(58.41 KiB) Downloaded 109 times
'Rumble' is one performance measurement often attached to turntables, and this tool lets you hear it...with your ears. Touch the tip on the plinth, chassis, spindle, tonearm bearing assembly...and you can hear the rumble.

As an added bonus: you can also hear noisy valve lifters in your car's engine, or bad bearings in...whatever.

Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Re: Mechanics Stethoscope

Post by Coffee Phil » 23 Jan 2020 05:18

Hi jdjohn,

Every gearhead needs one of those in his kit. I also agree that if you work on you record players, it is very useful.

Your’s looks a bit nicer than mine. Mine is a cheapie Harbor Fright thing, but it does the job.

Phil

jdjohn wrote:
23 Jan 2020 04:01
This tool can come in very handy when evaluating a turntable's performance.
Mechanics Stethoscope:
s-l1600.jpg
'Rumble' is one performance measurement often attached to turntables, and this tool lets you hear it...with your ears. Touch the tip on the plinth, chassis, spindle, tonearm bearing assembly...and you can hear the rumble.

As an added bonus: you can also hear noisy valve lifters in your car's engine, or bad bearings in...whatever.

lenjack
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by lenjack » 23 Jan 2020 14:25

Which end goes in your ear...oh wait...I figured it out #-o

jdjohn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by jdjohn » 23 Jan 2020 17:27

Coffee Phil wrote:
23 Jan 2020 05:18
Hi jdjohn,

Every gearhead needs one of those in his kit. I also agree that if you work on you record players, it is very useful.

Your’s looks a bit nicer than mine. Mine is a cheapie Harbor Fright thing, but it does the job.

Phil
Hi Phil,

That's not mine...just a random pic off the web. Mine is cheap, too...heck, I think they're all pretty cheap :lol:

josephazannieri
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by josephazannieri » 23 Jan 2020 19:19

Yo jdjohn and fellow Stethoscopians:

I have 2 of these things. Neither is one like the one pictured. That one is a specialized, and fairly expensive (for me), mechanic's stethoscope.

My first was a gift from my sister Tina, the midwife, which was her inexpensive scope from nursing school. I use that one on the handle end of a screwdriver to track noises, particularly rod and bearing noises in auto engines and chassis. With the screwdriver, it is also useful to track turntable noises, but you have to follow the noise through the chassis to its origin point. Particularly useful for idler drive turntables.

The second is a medical stethoscope with a diaphragm on the end, which I bought new in box for $2.00 at the Collingwood Flea Market when I was visiting my sister Maria in Asbury Park, N. J. (home of Bruce Springsteen). That one can be laid directly on the surface of a turntable base, and it will give very loud reception of all sounds, even benign ones wherever it is placed.

I started out years ago, before I got the student stethoscope from Tina, by just using a long screwdriver and shoving the handle end right up against my ear. I got to where I could figure out which valve had the collapsed lifter by getting closer and closer to the sound on the valve cover.

And good luck to all the other stethoscopians from their fellow user,

Joe Z.

P.S. Hi, Phil!

Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by Coffee Phil » 23 Jan 2020 20:18

Hi Joe,

I also have a medical stethoscope. We bought it for my RN daughter when she got pinned. After ~ ten years the rubber hoses started to leak. That is why GE invented RTV. I got the old thing working again, but I think it would scare her patients so she got a new shiny one and I have the old ugly one for what it is worth.

Phil
josephazannieri wrote:
23 Jan 2020 19:19
Yo jdjohn and fellow Stethoscopians:

I have 2 of these things. Neither is one like the one pictured. That one is a specialized, and fairly expensive (for me), mechanic's stethoscope.

My first was a gift from my sister Tina, the midwife, which was her inexpensive scope from nursing school. I use that one on the handle end of a screwdriver to track noises, particularly rod and bearing noises in auto engines and chassis. With the screwdriver, it is also useful to track turntable noises, but you have to follow the noise through the chassis to its origin point. Particularly useful for idler drive turntables.

The second is a medical stethoscope with a diaphragm on the end, which I bought new in box for $2.00 at the Collingwood Flea Market when I was visiting my sister Maria in Asbury Park, N. J. (home of Bruce Springsteen). That one can be laid directly on the surface of a turntable base, and it will give very loud reception of all sounds, even benign ones wherever it is placed.

I started out years ago, before I got the student stethoscope from Tina, by just using a long screwdriver and shoving the handle end right up against my ear. I got to where I could figure out which valve had the collapsed lifter by getting closer and closer to the sound on the valve cover.

And good luck to all the other stethoscopians from their fellow user,

Joe Z.

P.S. Hi, Phil!

GuidoK

Post by GuidoK » 23 Jan 2020 20:38

Lol yes I have one too and indeed I use it for tinkering on cars (the stethoscope is one of my favorite diagnostics tools).

But indeed for turntables also a good tool.

here is a video about transrotor where you see Jochen Räke (boss at Transrotor) use the stethoscope to test his turntables:
(video is in german, so a great opportunity to learn a new language :mrgreen: )

josephazannieri
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by josephazannieri » 24 Jan 2020 02:40

Yo fellow stethoscopers:

Looking at the video provided by GuidoK, the demonstration uses a medical stethoscope similar to the one I bought at the flea market. That type gives really loud reception, but you have to hold it really still, because if it moves on what you are listening to, you will hear the scraping sound of the motion in your ear, and it will be very loud.

And good luck to all the other listeners from that noise-seeking old guy,

Joe Z.