Kenwood 5033 replacement insulators (feet)

snap, crackle and pop
VTshoe
United States of America

Kenwood 5033 replacement insulators (feet)

Post by VTshoe » 22 Jan 2020 03:52

Hi all,

I’m very new to the turntable game...just bought a Kenwood 5033 from Goodwill yesterday that’s in pretty rough shape, but I want to give it my best shot at bringing it back to life. That said, one of the first things I noticed is that the feet (or insulators, as they are technically called) are all missing and seem to have been stripped off. In my online searches, I can’t seem to find the exact replacement part based on the part number from the service manual. Will any insulators that I can find on amazon do, or can/should I try to find some from other Kenwood models, even though they may not be an exact match? Thank you for any help you can provide.

denvertrakker
United States of America

Re: Kenwood 5033 replacement insulators (feet)

Post by denvertrakker » 22 Jan 2020 16:54

The feet on my KD-4100 were perished when I acquired it, so I replaced them with Vibrapods, sold lots of places. They come in various "strengths" depending on the weight they're intended to support. My advice is to go one up from what you think you need.

AlpacaLips
United States of America

Post by AlpacaLips » 27 Jan 2020 05:41

For all the good it will do you, the original part number is J03-0027-05 (according to the service manual). I got a KD-5033F from the Goodwill bins that also had foot problems (it had one attached, one detached, and two missing). The soft rubber doesn't stand the test of time. I was too cheap to spring for the insane prices that these things go for so I made buy own out of parts from the hardware store. Basically I took some screw-in chair feet (the kind with the slidy metal bottoms), added a rubber non-skid bumper thingy to the bottom, and then added two sets of nuts to the threaded shaft. The two nuts makes it possible to adjust height. This allows leveling, but it doesn't do much for dampening. I have my 5033 setting on a dresser that also has my amp, cassette boxes, accessories, etc. and every time I touch anything I can hear it.

Just curious, did yours come with a cover that doesn't have broken hinges? Those things are like gold.

VTshoe
United States of America

Post by VTshoe » 27 Jan 2020 11:41

Yeah I guess I’ll have to settle for something that I can find on eBay...the cover is mostly intact...there’s a small crack and some heavy wear, but the hinges seem to hold okay. There’s some plastic broken off of one side, but if I tighten the screws a little bit I can get the cover to stay open

AlpacaLips
United States of America

Post by AlpacaLips » 27 Jan 2020 14:14

Cool. I have the opposite problem. The cover isn’t cracked or scratches up too badly, but the hinges are probably beyond repair, which means completely removing it every time I use the player.