Thorens td 166mk2 alignment of the stylus

snap, crackle and pop
iFra
junior member
junior member
Posts: 11
Joined: 02 Feb 2018 19:14

Thorens td 166mk2 alignment of the stylus

Post by iFra » 20 Jan 2020 02:38

Hello to all. My name is Francesco.
I'm new to the forum
I need help
I looked for information on the site but I did not find it.
Is there a pdf for the alignment of the stylus of the arm of the Thorens Td166 mk2 turntable (Tp 62, the shell-shaped one)?
Attachments
image.jpeg
Tp 62
(114.76 KiB) Downloaded 122 times

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada
Posts: 23460
Joined: 28 Oct 2002 03:24
Location: North of Toronto, Canada

Re: Thorens td 166mk2 alignment of the stylus

Post by Alec124c41 » 20 Jan 2020 13:27

https://www.vinylengine.com/cartridge-a ... tors.shtml
There is a Thorens protractor down the page, if yours is mounted at 215.6mm. Otherwise, use the 2-point.
A 2-point protractor can be used with any arm.
With a 2-point protractor, set the stylus on the crosshairs of the outer grid, and square the cartridge to it.
Move to the inner grid, stylus on crosshairs.
If the cartridge angles toward the middle of the record, move it forward a bit, and start over.
If the cartridge angles away from the middle of the record, move it back a bit, and start over.
When the cartridge sits squarely in both grids, stylus on crosshairs, you are done.
When you have used a protractor, do not then try to adjust the cartridge to any other "overhang."

Cheers,
Alec

iFra
junior member
junior member
Posts: 11
Joined: 02 Feb 2018 19:14

Re: Thorens td 166mk2 alignment of the stylus

Post by iFra » 21 Jan 2020 16:01

First of all thank you very much for your answer.
My turntable arm with a Tp62 barrel cannot align with a two point gongnonetro.
I have already aligned turntable heads. With the Td166mk2, I tried for a whole day without result .. .

bernard1
senior member
senior member
France
Posts: 677
Joined: 26 Aug 2016 19:06

Re: Thorens td 166mk2 alignment of the stylus

Post by bernard1 » 21 Jan 2020 16:25

iFra wrote:
21 Jan 2020 16:01
My turntable arm with a Tp62 barrel cannot align with a two point gongnonetro.
Why couldn't you ? I did so with a stupid protractor : https://www.vinylengine.com/ve_download ... actors.pdf
It is not easy with the TP62 though, as the headshell screws are not accessible without removing the armwand from the tonearm.

iFra
junior member
junior member
Posts: 11
Joined: 02 Feb 2018 19:14

Re: Thorens td 166mk2 alignment of the stylus

Post by iFra » 21 Jan 2020 19:22

bernard1 wrote:
21 Jan 2020 16:25
iFra wrote:
21 Jan 2020 16:01
My turntable arm with a Tp62 barrel cannot align with a two point gongnonetro.
Why couldn't you ? I did so with a stupid protractor : https://www.vinylengine.com/ve_download ... actors.pdf
It is not easy with the TP62 though, as the headshell screws are not accessible without removing the armwand from the tonearm.


I used this (standard https://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/dima.pdf) and I don't come out ...

iFra
junior member
junior member
Posts: 11
Joined: 02 Feb 2018 19:14

Re: Thorens td 166mk2 alignment of the stylus

Post by iFra » 21 Jan 2020 19:24

Alec124c41 wrote:
20 Jan 2020 13:27
https://www.vinylengine.com/cartridge-a ... tors.shtml
There is a Thorens protractor down the page, if yours is mounted at 215.6mm. Otherwise, use the 2-point.
A 2-point protractor can be used with any arm.
With a 2-point protractor, set the stylus on the crosshairs of the outer grid, and square the cartridge to it.
Move to the inner grid, stylus on crosshairs.
If the cartridge angles toward the middle of the record, move it forward a bit, and start over.
If the cartridge angles away from the middle of the record, move it back a bit, and start over.
When the cartridge sits squarely in both grids, stylus on crosshairs, you are done.
When you have used a protractor, do not then try to adjust the cartridge to any other "overhang."

Cheers,
Alec
In the Thorens manual they mention the arm of the TP11Mk2 turntable with TP63 barrel. I don't know if the TP62 is different ..
I can't find any information about it

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada
Posts: 23460
Joined: 28 Oct 2002 03:24
Location: North of Toronto, Canada

Re: Thorens td 166mk2 alignment of the stylus

Post by Alec124c41 » 22 Jan 2020 02:53

Is the distance between the center of the spindle to the pivot point of the tone-arm 215.6mm ?
That is the only question.

Cheers,
Alec

bernard1
senior member
senior member
France
Posts: 677
Joined: 26 Aug 2016 19:06

Re: Thorens td 166mk2 alignment of the stylus

Post by bernard1 » 22 Jan 2020 09:29

According to this
https://www.theanalogdept.com/thorens_tonearms.htm
yes, the tp62 is 215,6 mm spindle to pivot.

iFra
junior member
junior member
Posts: 11
Joined: 02 Feb 2018 19:14

Re: Thorens td 166mk2 alignment of the stylus

Post by iFra » 23 Jan 2020 14:46

bernard1 wrote:
22 Jan 2020 09:29
According to this
https://www.theanalogdept.com/thorens_tonearms.htm
yes, the tp62 is 215,6 mm spindle to pivot.
Very thanks!

iFra
junior member
junior member
Posts: 11
Joined: 02 Feb 2018 19:14

Re: Thorens td 166mk2 alignment of the stylus

Post by iFra » 23 Jan 2020 14:49

Alec124c41 wrote:
22 Jan 2020 02:53
Is the distance between the center of the spindle to the pivot point of the tone-arm 215.6mm ?
That is the only question.

Cheers,
Alec
Yes, the measurements are correct.
With the pdf file that you linked me to align the turntable stylus, I walk perfectly the arch but the head does not align with the grids in the center. Is it equally correct?

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada
Posts: 23460
Joined: 28 Oct 2002 03:24
Location: North of Toronto, Canada

Re: Thorens td 166mk2 alignment of the stylus

Post by Alec124c41 » 23 Jan 2020 15:00

The Thorens arc protractor on the link https://www.vinylengine.com/cartridge-a ... tors.shtml that I gave you has an arc with only an outer grid, and an X marking the inner null point.
If your cartridge is squared with that grid, and the stylus follows the arc, it is correct.

Cheers,
Alec

iFra
junior member
junior member
Posts: 11
Joined: 02 Feb 2018 19:14

Re: Thorens td 166mk2 alignment of the stylus

Post by iFra » 23 Jan 2020 23:16

Alec124c41 wrote:
23 Jan 2020 15:00
The Thorens arc protractor on the link https://www.vinylengine.com/cartridge-a ... tors.shtml that I gave you has an arc with only an outer grid, and an X marking the inner null point.
If your cartridge is squared with that grid, and the stylus follows the arc, it is correct.

Cheers,
Alec
No. My stylus follows the arc but my cartridge is not squared with that grid.

This is starting to get very frustrating ...

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada
Posts: 23460
Joined: 28 Oct 2002 03:24
Location: North of Toronto, Canada

Re: Thorens td 166mk2 alignment of the stylus

Post by Alec124c41 » 24 Jan 2020 01:28

There is only one grid, and you can not square the cartridge in it?
Hmm ... Thorens headshell has screw sockets underneath, no slots ... fixed angle ...
That is a Baerwald alignment. Perhaps you need a Stevenson protractor. That would be a bit shorter, with a slightly different offset angle.
Try a 2-point Stevenson.

A 2-point protractor can be used with any arm.
With a 2-point protractor, set the stylus on the crosshairs of the outer grid, and square the cartridge to it.
Move to the inner grid, stylus on crosshairs.
If the cartridge angles toward the middle of the record, move it forward a bit, and start over.
If the cartridge angles away from the middle of the record, move it back a bit, and start over.
When the cartridge sits squarely in both grids, stylus on crosshairs, you are done.
When you have used a protractor, do not then try to adjust the cartridge to any other "overhang."

Moving the cartridge back 2mm should get you close.

Cheers,
Alec

bernard1
senior member
senior member
France
Posts: 677
Joined: 26 Aug 2016 19:06

Re: Thorens td 166mk2 alignment of the stylus

Post by bernard1 » 24 Jan 2020 11:10

As I said before, I used one stupid protractor (can't remember if it was Baerwald or Loefgren) with success to align a cartridge (Shure M75) on a TP62 Thorens tonearm. And on TP62 you can set angle (somehow), overhang and azimuth.

iFra
junior member
junior member
Posts: 11
Joined: 02 Feb 2018 19:14

Re: Thorens td 166mk2 alignment of the stylus

Post by iFra » 24 Jan 2020 14:20

Alec124c41 wrote:
24 Jan 2020 01:28
There is only one grid, and you can not square the cartridge in it?
Hmm ... Thorens headshell has screw sockets underneath, no slots ... fixed angle ...
That is a Baerwald alignment. Perhaps you need a Stevenson protractor. That would be a bit shorter, with a slightly different offset angle.
Try a 2-point Stevenson.

A 2-point protractor can be used with any arm.
With a 2-point protractor, set the stylus on the crosshairs of the outer grid, and square the cartridge to it.
Move to the inner grid, stylus on crosshairs.
If the cartridge angles toward the middle of the record, move it forward a bit, and start over.
If the cartridge angles away from the middle of the record, move it back a bit, and start over.
When the cartridge sits squarely in both grids, stylus on crosshairs, you are done.
When you have used a protractor, do not then try to adjust the cartridge to any other "overhang."

Moving the cartridge back 2mm should get you close.

Cheers,
Alec
I don't understand though.
With arch alignment, the stylus falls with the correct hoverhang predicted by Thorens.
With the Stevenson alignment, I have a much shorter Hoverhang value. Since the barrel of the turntable arm does not allow different angles, it seems strange to me that Thorens has foreseen an alignment with different values of the established hoverhan (14,4mm)...

Post Reply