Can I directly connect a phonograph tone arm to the internal metal horn

snap, crackle and pop
scrapjack+

Can I directly connect a phonograph tone arm to the internal metal horn

Post by scrapjack+ » 18 Jan 2020 03:45

I bought an arm for a acoustic phonograph to expand it's function, also because I can't rebuild the old one. Sadly, I didn't consider how much room I had for a larger flange. I can't use the arm tube's original mount without cutting up the side of the case. The wood platform is countersunk so the metal horn can fit into the wood. I found that a 1" female coupler is a perfect fit for the inner diameter of the arm, but creating a flange to mount it could be difficult with what my local home depot caries. I was thinking I could get a tap, and a 1" npt male/male nipple to thread the coupler directly to the metal horn. I think the metal on metal contact would transfer the vibrations better and amplify the sound a little louder.

The metal horn is secured to the back of the case with two bolts, and to the front by pressure from the wooden horn that extends from it to the front wall. The arm I got is a Brunswick Balke Collender Reproducer & Tone Arm, and weighs 1.74lbs. Is there a reason I should avoid doing this? Does this sound like enough support to not need a flange?
IMG_4480[1].JPG
(199.24 KiB) Downloaded 27 times