Paint a TT

snap, crackle and pop
corrobor
Italy

Paint a TT

Post by corrobor » 16 Jan 2020 21:29

Hi. I have a good working sansui sr 222 MK1.
What do you think about my Crazy idea of disassemble everything and paint the base in a nice color (Red or Blue) like the modern TT (rega planar, pro-ject debut etc etc)?

SpruceMoose

Re: Paint a TT

Post by SpruceMoose » 16 Jan 2020 21:43

Terrible idea! ;)
Attachments
E41D0299-ABC7-43D9-929C-BBFE29C9EBE6.jpeg
(262.36 KiB) Downloaded 132 times

corrobor
Italy

Post by corrobor » 16 Jan 2020 22:14

Yes that Red Is orribile.
My tt Is this :
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/57/04/ed ... ac36a2.jpg
Do you think that a "Better" Red or Blue / Light Blue would be orribile at the same?

nat
long player
long player

Post by nat » 16 Jan 2020 22:20

Obviously it's your table, so you can do whatever you like, and it is not like it is an irreplaceable cultural treasure.
But it is a lot of work for what may be dubious results unless you are an experienced finisher. I don't have the different iterations of the 222 in my head so I can't remember if yours would be wood veneer, black veneer, or piano finish, but do keep in mind that not all colors or surfaces integrate with other components in a design. My memory is that the 222 was one of the best looking tables of its class, and it would be a pity if your efforts didn't improve it - I'm being tactful.
But it is yours, and you are the one who will be looking at it, so if it makes you happy, why not?

turntabletech

Post by turntabletech » 17 Jan 2020 03:37

Try painting it with plasti dip paint.
It easily peels off if you decide that you don't like it.

chgc

Post by chgc » 17 Jan 2020 05:26

I also recently picked up a very functional turntable that had received a pretty poor paint job. Excellent performance to price ratio and I kind of like the rough cosmetics.

Re. Plasti Dip- I've been wondering if it would yield any sonic benefits if applied to the underside of a resonant aluminum platter. Any thoughts?

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 17 Jan 2020 06:08

I take it you've been reading this thread...

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=109136

Both the red or the blue could really liven up the table, but I would be cautious of doing it right...It could also make for an interesting project if say you got a local artist to do the work like this guy did...

I have an idea...Maybe you could try practicing your painting skills on an old beat-up Crosley...There are TONS of them around and for cheap! Or you could do something like this guy did...

And then, this is crazy talented...

...but it makes the Crosley much more interesting than it would have been otherwise... 8-[

Gracie here has some ideas herself...

As well as this girl...

You could just go nuts...

And then, here are some tips from a guy who painted his Lenco chassis...

If it all works out, then I would see about the Sansui, if you were really into the idea...Personally, I like the idea of a plinth painted to look like Vincent Van Gogh's "Starry Night"...

I mean, if you can do it on a record, why not??? :-k

Of course, your imagination may vary...

corrobor
Italy

Post by corrobor » 17 Jan 2020 09:21

LN Cree
Netherlands

Post by LN Cree » 17 Jan 2020 12:19

Hey I saw that Sprucemoose posted a red DP-EC10. I have that model turntable and think it's a cool design, plays exceptionally well. But it's the gunmetal grey original color. Here's a Marantz TT6000 that I stripped down and repainted. Kinda based on the color scheme of their old manuals.
Attachments
DSC05150.JPG
(177.73 KiB) Downloaded 64 times

Direct driver
United States of America

Post by Direct driver » 17 Jan 2020 14:19

Art is a funny thing. If a change is easy to do, it will probably go from looking really cool to looking stupid in a fairly short period of time. A good example is those sets of three "fake vents" people used to put on the front fenders of their cars. The first time I saw one it was reminiscent of the 1950's Buicks, and it looked kinda cool. But it didn't take long for it to look stupid every time I saw one.

But when a person with true artistic talent comes up with something, and it takes more than slapping a coat of paint on something, it can look really good for a very long time.

Another aspect is this: When the factory paints a car lime green, it works (usually). When someone paints their PT Cruizer lime green, it looks juvenile, unless it is professionally (i.e. expensive and difficult) done with other trim mods to increase the impact.

So, although I think modifying the looks of these TT's can be a really good idea and very cool, even in the long run, the decision should not be made lightly. There is a reason most factory TT's are conservative in their styling. e.g. blacks, greys, silvers. And the brightly colored ones work for some decors and because they are factory jobs, which instantly gives them a greater credibility.

chgc

Post by chgc » 18 Jan 2020 02:23

As long as you’re not putting energy drink stickers on a bathtub Porsche, I say go for it. Some great art looks stupid at first, but over time people come to appreciate it. Or maybe not, but I still like to err in the direction of creative risk taking.

scrapjack+

Post by scrapjack+ » 18 Jan 2020 05:49

I picked up a junk Newmark tt1700 for a project, someone else all ready took what they wanted from it. The best thing about it is the purple color. I have had paint drip on things that it mattered, and it not drip on things that are supposed to look like melting candles. My painting skills aren't great, good enough with 3 coats and sandpaper, but if you got the talent go ahead. No really, seems like a good idea if you can pull it off, a little more personalization. I think getting a stereo component in anything other than brushed aluminum or black is rather cool especially if it is a focal point like the turntable, or a giant graphic equalizer with vu meters and spectrum analyzer(s).

If you know anyone(dad, grandfather, brother etc.) who has an air compressor based paint system, see if they would run their gear for you. You will probably still need to buy the paint, and maybe Jack in the Box, or Jack in a bottle depending on who your family is. It's more than a spray gun, there's hoses that never had oil, large air tank, filters, practice, etc.