Jasmine Tonearms

snap, crackle and pop
jdjohn
long player
long player
United States of America

Jasmine Tonearms

Post by jdjohn » 13 Jan 2020 23:22

Anyone here have experience with Jasmine tonearms?

jdjohn
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: Jasmine Tonearms

Post by jdjohn » 15 Jan 2020 03:02

Jasmine Audio products are made in China. I was considering their JS-TA240 10" arm http://www.jasmineaudio.net/cbxl/index_ ... itemid=190 [I think they meant 10" instead of 10' on their webpage :)]

I'm going to pass for now, though, since I'm not sold on the arm's anti-skate mechanism shown here:
jasmineAS.jpg
(55.23 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
My concern is added resonance at the points of the two red arrows. The top arrow, in particular, where the two rods meet, causes me concern. Their JS-TB297 12" banana arms use the same approach.

However, their TOTL JS-TA297 straight 12" uni-pivot arm uses the more conventional stringed-counter weight system. Its design is different in several ways compared to the other arms.
jasmine2.jpg
(57.68 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
I think their drive motors, and a few other components they produce, get good reviews. They have a line of MC cartridges as well, with the bodies made of white and blue porcelain. I have not heard any of their gear.
201804121133413341.jpg
(51.65 KiB) Downloaded 42 times

nat
long player
long player

Re: Jasmine Tonearms

Post by nat » 15 Jan 2020 21:43

For me, the antiskating on the unipivot is much more of a concern - unless the pivot is at the very top of the arm assembly, it isn't in the same plane as the antiskating cord, and applying antiskating with change the lateral balance of the arm. Even if the pivot and cord are in line, the angle of the force changes as the arm moves, so there will be changes to the balance as the arm traverses the record.
Many arms use exactly the same mechanism as the one that concerns you, and I've never heard of anyone actually reporting resonances as a result. I had the same thought the first time I saw one back in the 70s, but I've concluded it was not a justified worry.