Technics SL-1310MK2

snap, crackle and pop
nicklaskarlsson81
Sweden

Technics SL-1310MK2

Post by nicklaskarlsson81 » 23 Dec 2019 23:55

Hey hey!

How hard is it to clean the contacts and old grease in the Technics SL-1310MK2? Don't think I'm gonna do it quite yet, want to use it first. But the stuck in repeat problem comes and goes all the time, so it will need it soon. Just need to decide if I should try myself, or hand it in to an expert.

musicmn
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: Technics SL-1310MK2

Post by musicmn » 24 Dec 2019 16:46

HI, I've only worked on a hand full of the Mark 2 versions of these turntables. Mostly the SL 1600 mk2 and the SL 1700 mk2. But I have worked on a lot of the mk1 versions and like all fully automatic turntables there are a lot of moving parts. And with Technics turntables you get both a combination of Black graphite grease and lithium grease. All of which should be removed and fresh lubrication applied so the mechanism can work properly again. If you were going to work on the MK 1 version of this turntable I and others could help you along. But because this is a MK2 version I have no reference to help only the service manual in the library on this site. My advice is if you are that unsure of doing the service work your self then hand this turntable off to and expert if you can find one to do the work for you. Sometimes it's better to pay the cost of repair then to damage something beyond repair by trying to do it yourself. I hope this helps.

nicklaskarlsson81
Sweden

Post by nicklaskarlsson81 » 24 Dec 2019 17:09

musicmn wrote:
24 Dec 2019 16:46
HI, I've only worked on a hand full of the Mark 2 versions of these turntables. Mostly the SL 1600 mk2 and the SL 1700 mk2. But I have worked on a lot of the mk1 versions and like all fully automatic turntables there are a lot of moving parts. And with Technics turntables you get both a combination of Black graphite grease and lithium grease. All of which should be removed and fresh lubrication applied so the mechanism can work properly again. If you were going to work on the MK 1 version of this turntable I and others could help you along. But because this is a MK2 version I have no reference to help only the service manual in the library on this site. My advice is if you are that unsure of doing the service work your self then hand this turntable off to and expert if you can find one to do the work for you. Sometimes it's better to pay the cost of repair then to damage something beyond repair by trying to do it yourself. I hope this helps.
Thanks, it sure does. Then I know what to do when I feel like fixing it. 😀

turntabletech

Post by turntabletech » 18 Jan 2020 03:15

Hi
such a great and rare unit.
I finally found one on eBay, but it needs a lot of work

Let me know if you want to get it properly serviced.

Based on the age, the unit should be completely recapped!

nicklaskarlsson81
Sweden

Post by nicklaskarlsson81 » 18 Jan 2020 23:34

turntabletech wrote:
18 Jan 2020 03:15
Hi
such a great and rare unit.
I finally found one on eBay, but it needs a lot of work

Let me know if you want to get it properly serviced.

Based on the age, the unit should be completely recapped!
Well, i got the table, and it had a signal fault. Since its hard to find, i decided to keep it and change the cable. While i was in there i cleaned and relubed. Now i just have to decide on cart.

nicklaskarlsson81
Sweden

Post by nicklaskarlsson81 » 19 Jan 2020 00:19

Does it look like i pulled that band too hard? Had to pull it tight with a plyer, couldnt get it right enough with hands. Since the cable was too thick, i couldnt use the part you put under that thing to secure the cable, so had to secure it with bands instead. The band on the card is only tightened with hand power, cause the original cable was just pulled down through a hole which i have cut off.
JPEG_20200117_032515.jpg
(122.83 KiB) Downloaded 20 times