Garrard DD400 servicing

snap, crackle and pop
Graham C
England

Garrard DD400 servicing

Post by Graham C » 14 Dec 2019 23:42

I've recently been given a Garrard Direct Drive turntable and it has rekindled my interest in audio. It has no visible identification other than "Garrard" but looking through images on the web it seems to be a DD400 with the label missing. It seems to work remarkably well (at least to my 71 year old ears, possibly not a good test). I'm posting to ask whether it may need lubrication after all these years. I can't find a specific service manual on the web, although I did find something on a DD75, which doesn't mention lubrication, but then, they probably weren't considering such a long life.
Thanks in advance
Graham C

musicmn
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: Garrard DD400 servicing

Post by musicmn » 15 Dec 2019 18:29

Hi Graham, my suggestion is to do nothing with the mechanism on this turntable if everything is working correctly. I've had a couple of these Garrard DD turntables on my bench and the mechanism is very convoluted. I don't know who built these turntables for garrard they could have been built in Japan maybe not but they are a mess. So just make sure the tracking force and anti skate is correct for the current cartridge installed and keep enjoying the turntable. I hope this helps.

KentT
long player
long player

Post by KentT » 15 Dec 2019 20:17

These were not Japanese built all the way. They do use a Japanese Matsushita/Panasonic DD motor and control circuitry.

Graham C
England

Post by Graham C » 21 Dec 2019 23:46

Hi
Thanks for the comments. The message seems to be "if it ain't bust, don't fix it". I've run cars and houses on that motto. My only reservation is that, over the years, I've fixed a lot of clocks and generally the lesson from them is that if someone had cleaned and lubricated them every decade or two, they wouldn't have ended up on my bench. A turntable probably gets less use and is more lightly loaded but I'm concerned.
regards
Graham