GE console

snap, crackle and pop
twcannon
United States of America

GE console

Post by twcannon » 14 Dec 2019 22:31

So, I picked up this gorgeous old console for free. Cleaned and freed up the tuner and it sounds surprisingly good. Rewired new speaker inputs as the originals were extremely loose and sloppy. Turntable is next. I'd like to upgrade. Took out the original and plugged in a cheap Audio Technica to the RCA plugs that were connected to the underside of the GE chassis. Without the 3 wire power plug though, the receiver does not turn on when I switch to phono. Any ideas? And I assume I will need a phono pre-amp as well correct?
Attachments
Wiring.jpg
(198.53 KiB) Downloaded 97 times
Model.jpg
(188.55 KiB) Downloaded 99 times
Chassis.jpg
(164.19 KiB) Downloaded 95 times
Cabinet.jpg
(136.54 KiB) Downloaded 98 times

lenjack
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: GE console

Post by lenjack » 15 Dec 2019 00:01

Almost assuredly you will need a phono preamp, as you can almost bet that it originally had a ceramic cart.

Doug G.
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by Doug G. » 15 Dec 2019 05:42

Those were made so either the switch in the console for the radio OR the switch on the changer turns the amplifier on. That way, if you want to play records, you don't have to separately turn on the amplifier, just operate the changer. That's what the three wire plug is for. It won't work just by turning the console switch to "phono"

That's a pretty nice changer for being in a console. The "floating" headshell/cartridge tracks at a fairly light 2 grams. I would try to get it going instead of substituting another one.

But, if you want to put a different changer/turntable in with a magnetic cartridge, you will need an external pre amp and figure out a way to turn on the console amplifier while using the turntable.

Doug

twcannon
United States of America

Post by twcannon » 15 Dec 2019 17:31

Any idea of a model number on the turntable? From researching by looking at pictures of the needle I think the turntable is a CE 650 but can't locate anything definitive. I think I need a new cartridge as the small rubber v-grooved mount is really loose and about to fall out. It operates now but the sound is pretty muddy, no high end at all. I'm going to Deoxit and scrub the RCA plug as it's pretty corroded, hope that might help a little.

Doug G.
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by Doug G. » 15 Dec 2019 18:00

No model number on the bottom of the TT base plate? Other than that, I don't know what it would be. If the yoke (that's the V shaped piece) is loose, look to see if it has just slipped off the ends of the ceramic elements. That's the way they are usually made. The yoke just friction fits on the ends of those elements and the elements are flexed with the groove modulations.

Doug

twcannon
United States of America

Post by twcannon » 15 Dec 2019 19:56

Nothing on the base anywhere unfortunately. I'll investigate the yoke some more. Thanks for the tip.

KentT
long player
long player

Post by KentT » 15 Dec 2019 20:15

Doug G. wrote:
15 Dec 2019 05:42
Those were made so either the switch in the console for the radio OR the switch on the changer turns the amplifier on. That way, if you want to play records, you don't have to separately turn on the amplifier, just operate the changer. That's what the three wire plug is for. It won't work just by turning the console switch to "phono"

That's a pretty nice changer for being in a console. The "floating" headshell/cartridge tracks at a fairly light 2 grams. I would try to get it going instead of substituting another one.

But, if you want to put a different changer/turntable in with a magnetic cartridge, you will need an external pre amp and figure out a way to turn on the console amplifier while using the turntable.

Doug
The Tonal 1 arms I've encountered tracked at 3-3.5 grams in the average GE console. No 2 grams like the better 1960's VM changers post 1962. This changer is a GE changer, and the lower end offering from GE in the changers. Not junk, but not high end either. Decent when serviced. the post 1965 GE changers were GE changers using a simplified, cost cut version of the Glaser-Steers mechanism, GE purchased Glaser-Steers. I wish GE had kept the GS 77 changers in production and used them in the higher end GE consoles.

circularvibes
long player
long player

Post by circularvibes » 15 Dec 2019 21:16

If you remove the platter, there may be a sticker underneath.

twcannon
United States of America

Post by twcannon » 15 Dec 2019 22:45

I may have a wonky gauge but I'm reading about 7 grams. I cleaned the RCA plugs which were filthy and it actually seems to have made a little difference. Would there be any worry spraying the entire cartridge with Deoxit Gold? Pulled the platter and nothing under there either. Search goes on.

circularvibes
long player
long player

Post by circularvibes » 15 Dec 2019 22:57

The tags are often just taped on pieces of card or stickers that fall off over the years. Do NOT spray the cartridge with ANYTHING. You will destroy the elements faster than throwing water on the Wicked Witch. 7 grams of pressure seems a lot for any stereo cartridge. It is possible that someone jacked up the weight to compensate for a worn needle like taping quarters to the arm. You may find a new cartridge a better option. Check out http://thevoiceofmusic.com/ for options. Consider emailing Gary Stork at their contact email and ask for recommendations. The only way to get around your power switch problem is to get another changer than can be wired the same and accept a modern cartridge like maybe a Dual or Garrard. I would personally choose to refurbish the original changer and play only period records on it. If you plan on playing records of value or current offerings, maybe an outboard turntable with preamp wired to the aux or tape input, if they exist, would be a non invasive option.

twcannon
United States of America

Post by twcannon » 16 Dec 2019 15:03

Thanks for the advice on contacting Gary. I'll get some good pics and keep trying to research. There's nothing attached to the arm but also no counterweight. The pressure is regulated by a spring near the fulcrum of the tonearm but it doesn't appear to be adjustable.

twcannon
United States of America

Post by twcannon » 16 Dec 2019 19:28

So.... I found a tag. I have a GE RD510-6 turntable. Tracking weight is extremely high and I'd like to replace the TT with a BSR C-20 "The Fisher" I have as it will fit quite nicely in the consoles fold down TT compartment. Can anyone help with the wiring? There is a three wire plug in the bottom of the GE TT which powers on the amplifier when the start lever is flipped on the TT. Without the plug the amplifier stays off even when switching to phono. I can't seem to find any manual of any kind.

circularvibes
long player
long player

Post by circularvibes » 16 Dec 2019 20:58

Could you post pics of the cartridge, stylus and the underside of the tonearm please? The BSR you list is a BSR C141 that can be found in the Library here. I feel that you might possibly be making a sideways move and I'd like to see you exhaust your options on the original changer first. I do believe the arm has some form of adjustment but a pic will show me right or wrong and the cartridge may have a better replacement option if need be. Most changers with ceramic cartridges will have a tracking force of at least 3 to 6 grams. Also, tell us please what kinds of records you intend to play. If you intend to play anything made after 1985 you do not want anything with a ceramic cartridge.

twcannon
United States of America

Post by twcannon » 16 Dec 2019 22:21

Pic attached. Most of the albums are 60's through early 80's. There are a few current heavy gram records I've recently picked up but those can always be played on my newer gear.
Attachments
Tonearm.jpg
(123.8 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
C650 Cartridge.jpg
(86.65000000000001 KiB) Downloaded 31 times

twcannon
United States of America

Post by twcannon » 16 Dec 2019 23:15

No idea why the tonearm pic is inverted. It isn't on my desktop and I just re-attached it and it's still upside down.
Attachments
Tonearm.jpg
(123.8 KiB) Downloaded 26 times