Technics SL-1310 MK2

snap, crackle and pop
nicklaskarlsson81
Sweden

Technics SL-1310 MK2

Post by nicklaskarlsson81 » 13 Dec 2019 10:07

Is about $400 a good price for a Technics SL-1310 MK2?

scho2684
long player
long player

Re: Technics SL-1310 MK2

Post by scho2684 » 13 Dec 2019 15:08

If its fully operational with no defects, yes I think so...

Roberto C2H3
long player
long player
Argentina

Post by Roberto C2H3 » 13 Dec 2019 17:08

Make sure the cueing issue has been corrected. If not, and if you are not inclined to take apart the table and fix it with the shapeways part, you should add another USD 200 to fix just that... At least...

nicklaskarlsson81
Sweden

Post by nicklaskarlsson81 » 14 Dec 2019 09:27

scho2684 wrote:
13 Dec 2019 15:08
If its fully operational with no defects, yes I think so...
Ok, thanks. Bought it.

nicklaskarlsson81
Sweden

Post by nicklaskarlsson81 » 14 Dec 2019 09:31

Roberto C2H3 wrote:
13 Dec 2019 17:08
Make sure the cueing issue has been corrected. If not, and if you are not inclined to take apart the table and fix it with the shapeways part, you should add another USD 200 to fix just that... At least...
Yeah, read about that. Well, its Ebay, IF its broken, they are pretty Hard in the seller. So then im just gonna claim back the money, cause tgats probably what it gonna cost to repair it at a workshop.
Is it hard to change the part yourself? You can order it online.

Roberto C2H3
long player
long player
Argentina

Post by Roberto C2H3 » 14 Dec 2019 13:40

nicklaskarlsson81 wrote:
14 Dec 2019 09:31
Roberto C2H3 wrote:
Yeah, read about that. Well, its Ebay, IF its broken, they are pretty Hard in the seller. So then im just gonna claim back the money, cause tgats probably what it gonna cost to repair it at a workshop.
Its far more challenging than you would think by looking at the pics and following the instructions that our fellow VE members have posted. As an example, its a real challenge to get to that part, and change it. Once there, Technics has been inconsistent with using a knurled and not knurled version depending on the model. There are two different parts in shapeways with different diameters. You need to get to the broken part before you will know which one to order.

Also, beware of the packing in eBay of turntables. The platter needs to be removed and packed separately in the box. These platters are sometimes sticky to remove, requiring a careful tap on the spindle with a rubber hammer or the like whilst pulling the platter up. There are plenty of horror stories out there of platters dancing about during shipping with disastrous effects on the flying gymbal / tonerarm.

Good luck !

Best from the Pampas,

roberto

nicklaskarlsson81
Sweden

Post by nicklaskarlsson81 » 14 Dec 2019 14:35

Roberto C2H3 wrote:
14 Dec 2019 13:40
nicklaskarlsson81 wrote:
Roberto C2H3 wrote:
Its far more challenging than you would think by looking at the pics and following the instructions that our fellow VE members have posted. As an example, its a real challenge to get to that part, and change it. Once there, Technics has been inconsistent with using a knurled and not knurled version depending on the model. There are two different parts in shapeways with different diameters. You need to get to the broken part before you will know which one to order.

Also, beware of the packing in eBay of turntables. The platter needs to be removed and packed separately in the box. These platters are sometimes sticky to remove, requiring a careful tap on the spindle with a rubber hammer or the like whilst pulling the platter up. There are plenty of horror stories out there of platters dancing about during shipping with disastrous effects on the flying gymbal / tonerarm.

Good luck !

Best from the Pampas,

roberto
Ok, thank you. With that information I will not even bother to try myself, I will use my local workshop.
About the packaging, i gave some pointers, but he said he had taken it apart and secured the parts. But well see.

Roberto C2H3
long player
long player
Argentina

Post by Roberto C2H3 » 14 Dec 2019 14:45

nicklaskarlsson81 wrote:
14 Dec 2019 14:35
Roberto C2H3 wrote:
nicklaskarlsson81 wrote:

Good luck !

Best from the Pampas,

roberto
Ok, thank you. With that information I will not even bother to try myself, I will use my local workshop.
About the packaging, i gave some pointers, but he said he had taken it apart and secured the parts. But well see.
A wise move IMO... In addition to removing the platter, he should remove the counter weight and also pack that separately from the rest of the turntable. Also, Technics has three screws that should be secured in the bottom designed for when the table is transported (The 1300, 1400 and 1500 MK2 have a floating suspension). Its not un common for these screws to go missing thru the years. However, if the seller tries a few it should not be that difficult to find ones which fit. You might even be able to get the specs for these screws in the internet. Ideally the cover should also be removed and packed separately. So with all this secured, and the tonearm locked on its rest, it should be good to go for shipment.

Good luck :D

nicklaskarlsson81
Sweden

Post by nicklaskarlsson81 » 14 Dec 2019 15:49

Roberto C2H3 wrote:
14 Dec 2019 14:45
nicklaskarlsson81 wrote:
14 Dec 2019 14:35
Roberto C2H3 wrote:

Good luck !

Best from the Pampas,

roberto
A wise move IMO... In addition to removing the platter, he should remove the counter weight and also pack that separately from the rest of the turntable. Also, Technics has three screws that should be secured in the bottom designed for when the table is transported (The 1300, 1400 and 1500 MK2 have a floating suspension). Its not un common for these screws to go missing thru the years. However, if the seller tries a few it should not be that difficult to find ones which fit. You might even be able to get the specs for these screws in the internet. Ideally the cover should also be removed and packed separately. So with all this secured, and the tonearm locked on its rest, it should be good to go for shipment.

Good luck :D
Yeah, thanks 😀 now i just have to decide which table to keep. Have a Sonab 85s. Bought a Dual CS 5000 the other day, need to pick it up. But then this showed up, couldnt resist

scho2684
long player
long player

Post by scho2684 » 17 Dec 2019 06:16

nicklaskarlsson81 wrote:
14 Dec 2019 09:27
Ok, thanks. Bought it.
Nice!
If for any reason you have issues with that table, let us know, we might be able to help you...
Recently I did a 1400MK2 and in the meantime I know what can be encountered when starting to fix things on these tables...
Roberto C2H3 wrote:
A wise move IMO... In addition to removing the platter, he should remove the counter weight and also pack that separately from the rest of the turntable. Also, Technics has three screws that should be secured in the bottom designed for when the table is transported (The 1300, 1400 and 1500 MK2 have a floating suspension).
My 1400MK2 was send from Belgium to The Netherlands with only the platter fixed with a Scotch tape.
Counterweight was also not taken off, the arm was bouncing due to not locked in position...
You can imagine how that thing landed on my doorstep...

nicklaskarlsson81
Sweden

Post by nicklaskarlsson81 » 19 Dec 2019 19:06

scho2684 wrote:
17 Dec 2019 06:16
nicklaskarlsson81 wrote:
14 Dec 2019 09:27
Ok, thanks. Bought it.
Nice!
If for any reason you have issues with that table, let us know, we might be able to help you...
Recently I did a 1400MK2 and in the meantime I know what can be encountered when starting to fix things on these tables...
Roberto C2H3 wrote:
A wise move IMO... In addition to removing the platter, he should remove the counter weight and also pack that separately from the rest of the turntable. Also, Technics has three screws that should be secured in the bottom designed for when the table is transported (The 1300, 1400 and 1500 MK2 have a floating suspension).
My 1400MK2 was send from Belgium to The Netherlands with only the platter fixed with a Scotch tape.
Counterweight was also not taken off, the arm was bouncing due to not locked in position...
You can imagine how that thing landed on my doorstep...
If he is truthful the known problem with the queing part is fixed at a shop. Guess that is what he means when he says the automatic something is fixed at a shop. I will obviously have a look inside and clean and lube if needed. But there shouldnt be any issues since he said its in perfect condition. If there is i will contact Ebay. I will rather take some money back than return it, and repair and Keep it.
Also, according to him he has separated and packed the parts separately in the box, some in smaller boxes in there. So i hope it arrives in good condition.
Ouch, that sounds like a nightmare. Was the counterweight arm broken off? That happened to me when a guy that sells alot of stuff on Swedish Ebay (tradera) sent a pl-300x with the counterweight on.

scho2684
long player
long player

Post by scho2684 » 20 Dec 2019 07:21

No, nothing was broke, except that one part for which a shapeway was ordered, but also the lift pen it self was broke...
There was a lot of play in the arm bearings...
Also the suspension was gone, and I had to put a new thrustplate in the main bearing...
Auto return failed and the platter had some strange behaviour, so I suspected a faulty IC, later it seemed like a small PCB underneath the platter was the causer of that...

Fixed all that and now its already playing for weeks without any issues.
It was a interesting project, but I came to the conclusion that for the initial plan I had: buy it, fix it, sell it, I already spent too much, in both time and money, to be able to sell it for a realistic price, so I just keep it.

nicklaskarlsson81
Sweden

Post by nicklaskarlsson81 » 20 Dec 2019 20:24

scho2684 wrote:
20 Dec 2019 07:21
No, nothing was broke, except that one part for which a shapeway was ordered, but also the lift pen it self was broke...
There was a lot of play in the arm bearings...
Also the suspension was gone, and I had to put a new thrustplate in the main bearing...
Auto return failed and the platter had some strange behaviour, so I suspected a faulty IC, later it seemed like a small PCB underneath the platter was the causer of that...

Fixed all that and now its already playing for weeks without any issues.
It was a interesting project, but I came to the conclusion that for the initial plan I had: buy it, fix it, sell it, I already spent too much, in both time and money, to be able to sell it for a realistic price, so I just keep it.
It is a great table, so absolutely nothing wrong with keeping it 😁

turntabletech

Post by turntabletech » 18 Jan 2020 03:23

Considering the age and many of the examples I've seen, It's going to need a full recap sooner or later.....
Preferably sooner!

nicklaskarlsson81
Sweden

Post by nicklaskarlsson81 » 18 Jan 2020 23:31

Well, i got the table, and it had a signal fault. Since its hard to find, i decided to keep it and change the cable. While i was in there i cleaned and relubed. Now i just have to decide on cart.