Can't find tracking weight for my cartridge

snap, crackle and pop
markek
United States of America

Can't find tracking weight for my cartridge

Post by markek » 13 Dec 2019 00:02

Trying to set up this turntable and found some nice information on youtube that I have been trying to follow. '

I'm at the point where it says I need the cartridge tracking weight to set the tonearm. Problem is I can't find any information on this cartridge?
Pioneer turntable cartridge.jpg
(76.11 KiB) Downloaded 64 times

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Re: Can't find tracking weight for my cartridge

Post by Alec124c41 » 13 Dec 2019 00:19

1.5 grams is a pretty safe bet for a Shure ED stylus.

Cheers,
Alec

markek
United States of America

Post by markek » 13 Dec 2019 00:25

Thanks Alec. I'll use that. Is this cartridge really old? Weird that I can't find anything on it.

audiopile
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by audiopile » 13 Dec 2019 01:17

Sold Shure carts back in the day -but the wonderful world of export private label models was completely new to me until I joined this forum. Still - I agree with Alec -within the Shure letter system -you get a fair idea of what to try in terms of tracking force. Want a taste of anarchy mixed with confusion - try making sense of 40? years of Audio technica carts/styli ?

smee4
long player
long player

Post by smee4 » 13 Dec 2019 02:48

You can also watch the cantilever deflection as you lower it onto a surface (record). The cantilever should deflect upwards, by a small amount, no more than halfway through it's full range of movement.

AsOriginallyRecorded
Canada

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 13 Dec 2019 03:49

A google search indicates this cartridge to be part of the fairly extensive Shure "Designer Series". Shure took very good cartridge bodies of the era, modified a few things, put a different stylus on them, and sold them as somewhat special commodities. Some appear as Realistic cartridges, and are generally very nice cartridges to own. Turntableneedles and LPGear have styli for them, as I'm sure do others, once you find the listing. Generally, will accept many styli in the M75 and M95 ranges I believe. As noted by other esteemed members, 1.5 will work with this cartridge, and .2gm changes in either direction can be made safely as long as tracking remains good. Should be perfect for your table. Enjoy!

KentT
long player
long player

Post by KentT » 13 Dec 2019 04:26

This cartridge is technically speaking, a Radio Shack branded aka Realistic version of the M 75 ED Type II, and thusly tracks at 3/4 to 1 1/2 grams tracking force. It is a .2 x .7 mil nude mounted elliptical stylus. So, some information for you.

lenjack
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by lenjack » 13 Dec 2019 04:49

Another avenue is to contact Shure tech support, and ask. I''m fairly sure, if you give them the model number, you will get a response. Worth a try.