Thinking of a new TT...But I don't know what.

snap, crackle and pop
breadfan
junior member
junior member
Posts: 23
Joined: 24 Jun 2013 01:38

Thinking of a new TT...But I don't know what.

Post by breadfan » 12 Dec 2019 16:15

I have a Realistic Lab-270 and had a AT440MLa on it until something snagged the stylus and bent it backwards. Not sure how it happened, just went to play a record and there it was. After shedding many tears, I now have a AT VM540ML and I also have a AT125LC Stylus I use for a backup on the old AT 440MLa cartridge. I'm still breaking in the VM540ML and so far I like what I hear. My wife has indicated to me that if I had a cover on our turntable that it would not have resulted in such a costly mistake. I agreed. I like my deck, I am sure I could do better but my limit is 500 bucks. Things I want are 1.belt drive. 2. removable head shell which an S tonearm would also accompany it. 3.Auto stop or auto return. 4. Antiskate. 5. Wood Plinth. I see a lot of Chinese made products and I'd like to avoid them. It may come down to that, but I have a hard time buying any Chinese hi-fi stuff or any expensive Chinese stuff for that matter. I feel like I will get more for my dollar going vintage, but that also may require doing some refurbishing, but I'm quite capable of doing that if I need to. I'm not totally opposed to a direct drive, I'm just going on that belt drives have always been a more quiet deck, but I don't know that for sure, never heard a nice DD, or not since the 80's anyways. There is so much out there, new and used that is really boggles my mind in which direction to go, and in reality, for so little money. I think this is site to go to for answers so here I am. Any thoughts, recommendations would much appreciated.

breadfan
junior member
junior member
Posts: 23
Joined: 24 Jun 2013 01:38

Re: Thinking of a new TT...But I don't know what.

Post by breadfan » 12 Dec 2019 17:02

I will add that I have been seriously considering the Fluance RT85, even though it is Chinese made. It has everything that I want and I will not need the Ortafon Blue which I could sell and bring my cost down further. But I am unsure how my AT VM540ML will sound on it and how well it is verses my Lab-270, which technically is a Technics Deck.

Pauw
senior member
senior member
Netherlands
Posts: 672
Joined: 01 Jun 2018 13:09
Location: Spinning round and round somewhere.

Re: Thinking of a new TT...But I don't know what.

Post by Pauw » 12 Dec 2019 17:14

Over the last year I have restored serviced and set up a Technics SL D 303 ......iy cost me 18 Euros plus about 20 to do the above. It has most of what you want but it's not a wooden plinth. It is an excellent performer ...I suggest you try to find one too. :D

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America
Posts: 20890
Joined: 01 Nov 2013 05:27

Re: Thinking of a new TT...But I don't know what.

Post by vinyl master » 12 Dec 2019 17:22

I'm thinking maybe a vintage Pioneer or Sansui might fit the bill...

Still, whereabouts do you live, breadfan? We could probably find you some examples to look at in your local area, if you're game, and it doesn't hurt to look, right??? Why not see what we can come up with??? :D

JoeE SP9
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America
Posts: 5168
Joined: 23 Feb 2009 19:20
Location: Phildelphia, Pennsylvania

Re: Thinking of a new TT...But I don't know what.

Post by JoeE SP9 » 12 Dec 2019 17:25

If you wait the inevitable recommendations for a used/vintage TT will be posted. The major problems with them are, the ones recommended are usually not available in your area and almost all of them require some serious maintenance. This is fine if you are a do it yourselfer. However, there are many (me included) who have no desire to "fix" what they buy.

IMO you could do a lot worse than the Fluance RT-85. I've considered buying one for my bedroom system. I may still do so. It should be rather obvious that I don't worship at the shrine of "everything vintage is better" as many posters here and elsewhere do.

Two of those recommendations came in as I was composing this post.
Last edited by JoeE SP9 on 12 Dec 2019 17:29, edited 1 time in total.

breadfan
junior member
junior member
Posts: 23
Joined: 24 Jun 2013 01:38

Re: Thinking of a new TT...But I don't know what.

Post by breadfan » 12 Dec 2019 17:28

vinyl master wrote:
12 Dec 2019 17:22
I'm thinking maybe a vintage Pioneer or Sansui might fit the bill...

Still, whereabouts do you live, breadfan? We could probably find you some examples to look at in your local area, if you're game, and it doesn't hurt to look, right??? Why not see what we can come up with??? :D
I live in Jacksonville Florida.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America
Posts: 20890
Joined: 01 Nov 2013 05:27

Re: Thinking of a new TT...But I don't know what.

Post by vinyl master » 12 Dec 2019 17:55

Well, I know you might not be looking at direct drive, but I did see this one...

https://jacksonville.craigslist.org/ele ... 29316.html

...and these for under $100...

https://ocala.craigslist.org/ele/d/ocal ... 36642.html
https://daytona.craigslist.org/ele/d/or ... 43567.html
https://daytona.craigslist.org/ele/d/pi ... 40770.html
https://daytona.craigslist.org/ele/d/da ... 58668.html

All have that S-shaped arm you were looking for, too... :-k

You could also go "idler" with this beautiful Dual...A great price, if you're interested... :-k

https://daytona.craigslist.org/ele/d/or ... 35913.html

Here's a nice example of a 1219, too...A favorite!

https://daytona.craigslist.org/ele/d/or ... 31578.html

By the way, I have one of these Elac Miracords, but his price here is TOO inflated...$100 or less, then maybe...

https://daytona.craigslist.org/ele/d/pa ... 79709.html

If you wanted to go a bit newer, there is this one...

https://daytona.craigslist.org/ele/d/ed ... 57368.html

I know it's not exactly what you were looking for, but it's a start...

You might also want to check out any flea markets, thrift shops, antique shops, and record stores in your area....You never know what you might find there!

By the way, if you ever needed a vintage repair shop for any of your finds, there are these guys...

http://www.audio3000.net/repair/Stereo_Repair
http://www.jaydonelectronics.com/our-services-1

Check out Wolfson Records in Jacksonville, too...They also sell vintage audio gear! :D

http://wolfsonrecords.com/

Other record shops in your area include...

http://www.jaxrecords.com/
https://www.jacksonville.com/news/20180 ... ecord-shop
http://youngloudandsnotty.net/
https://www.eraserrecords.net/
https://www.facebook.com/TigerRecs/

And finally, on EBay, there is this one being sold IN YOUR AREA! :D

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pioneer-PL-12D ... SwSnRdbrjN

A real rarity here as well from the Gold Coast...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Pioneer-P ... SwP6hdiUQk

Orrr...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Lafaye ... SwnDRcXT7Z

And...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TECHNICS-SL-Q2 ... SwXudbGS2Y

Pair any of those Pioneers up with this and you'll have yourself a system!

https://ocala.craigslist.org/ele/d/tyro ... 75275.html

If you're game, there are some fun cartridges here, as well...A mixed lot!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Lot-Tu ... Swzoxd69J3

If you're looking for the cache to end all caches, this one is available for local pick-up! :shock:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Turntables-Ree ... SwlTBdCmOe

And...Last but not least, there is this "parts" table, but it's a worthy machine, as I have one myself! :wink:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HISTORIC-DUAL- ... SwAGxdnpWf

Maybe something there will help... :-k
Last edited by vinyl master on 12 Dec 2019 18:13, edited 1 time in total.

JoeE SP9
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America
Posts: 5168
Joined: 23 Feb 2009 19:20
Location: Phildelphia, Pennsylvania

Re: Thinking of a new TT...But I don't know what.

Post by JoeE SP9 » 12 Dec 2019 18:12

breadfan:
Your current VM540ML will work just fine on the Fluance and most S shaped arms (from any era) with a removable head shell.

breadfan
junior member
junior member
Posts: 23
Joined: 24 Jun 2013 01:38

Re: Thinking of a new TT...But I don't know what.

Post by breadfan » 12 Dec 2019 18:18

...
Last edited by breadfan on 12 Dec 2019 18:45, edited 1 time in total.

breadfan
junior member
junior member
Posts: 23
Joined: 24 Jun 2013 01:38

Re: Thinking of a new TT...But I don't know what.

Post by breadfan » 12 Dec 2019 18:20

breadfan wrote:
12 Dec 2019 18:18
vinyl master wrote:
12 Dec 2019 17:55
Well, I know you might not be looking at direct drive, but I did see this one...

https://jacksonville.craigslist.org/ele ... 29316.html

...and these for under $100...

https://ocala.craigslist.org/ele/d/ocal ... 36642.html
https://daytona.craigslist.org/ele/d/or ... 43567.html
https://daytona.craigslist.org/ele/d/pi ... 40770.html
https://daytona.craigslist.org/ele/d/da ... 58668.html

All have that S-shaped arm you were looking for, too... :-k

You could also go "idler" with this beautiful Dual...A great price, if you're interested... :-k

https://daytona.craigslist.org/ele/d/or ... 35913.html

Here's a nice example of a 1219, too...A favorite!

https://daytona.craigslist.org/ele/d/or ... 31578.html

By the way, I have one of these Elac Miracords, but his price here is TOO inflated...$100 or less, then maybe...

https://daytona.craigslist.org/ele/d/pa ... 79709.html

If you wanted to go a bit newer, there is this one...

https://daytona.craigslist.org/ele/d/ed ... 57368.html

I know it's not exactly what you were looking for, but it's a start...

You might also want to check out any flea markets, thrift shops, antique shops, and record stores in your area....You never know what you might find there!

By the way, if you ever needed a vintage repair shop for any of your finds, there are these guys...

http://www.audio3000.net/repair/Stereo_Repair
http://www.jaydonelectronics.com/our-services-1

Check out Wolfson Records in Jacksonville, too...They also sell vintage audio gear! :D

http://wolfsonrecords.com/

Other record shops in your area include...

http://www.jaxrecords.com/
https://www.jacksonville.com/news/20180 ... ecord-shop
http://youngloudandsnotty.net/
https://www.eraserrecords.net/
https://www.facebook.com/TigerRecs/

Maybe something there will help... :-k
I've come across some of those, but I am unsure if they will be any better than my lab-270 deck, which sounds pretty good as it is. For some reason the Kenwood really caught my eye. Thank you for all those postings. I have a lot of research to do and if I come to the conclusion that I can't do any better sound wise with what I have now than I will have to move up in price, which I didn't want to do but then again, I don't want to spend money because something looks good! Decks can be very appealing, and many have caught my wife's eye. I'm pretty sure she is leaning towards new. You know how they are.

breadfan
junior member
junior member
Posts: 23
Joined: 24 Jun 2013 01:38

Re: Thinking of a new TT...But I don't know what.

Post by breadfan » 12 Dec 2019 18:46

JoeE SP9 wrote:
12 Dec 2019 18:12
breadfan:
Your current VM540ML will work just fine on the Fluance and most S shaped arms (from any era) with a removable head shell.
That is very good to know!

breadfan
junior member
junior member
Posts: 23
Joined: 24 Jun 2013 01:38

Re: Thinking of a new TT...But I don't know what.

Post by breadfan » 12 Dec 2019 18:53

vinyl master wrote:
12 Dec 2019 17:55

By the way, if you ever needed a vintage repair shop for any of your finds, there are these guys...

http://www.audio3000.net/repair/Stereo_Repair
http://www.jaydonelectronics.com/our-services-1

And really thank you for these links, I have been looking for someone in town that repairs HiFi!

lenjack
long player
long player
United States of America
Posts: 2542
Joined: 23 Jun 2017 02:11
Location: Liverpool, PA

Re: Thinking of a new TT...But I don't know what.

Post by lenjack » 12 Dec 2019 18:58

I don't agree that belt drives are quieter.

nat
long player
long player
Posts: 4587
Joined: 07 Nov 2002 19:05

Re: Thinking of a new TT...But I don't know what.

Post by nat » 12 Dec 2019 21:25

Why not track down a dust cover? If the problem with the current table is that unknown forces are damaging styli because the cover is missing, unmissing it might be the simplest solution. Radio Shack sold a lot of tables and there must be duscovers out there, original or not, that would fit. Or have one made.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America
Posts: 20890
Joined: 01 Nov 2013 05:27

Re: Thinking of a new TT...But I don't know what.

Post by vinyl master » 13 Dec 2019 03:15

OK, let me walk that back...I was thinking of a different Realistic and I thought you might want a second table as a backup, BUT as it turns out the Lab-270 is quite good...AND CAPABLE! =D>

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php ... od.517150/



I actually responded to a post about it and I totally forgot! #-o

viewtopic.php?t=88288

You might want to read what I posted there, too! :-k

Also, you might want to measure the dimensions of your turntable...There seem to be quite a few dust covers on EBay and one from even another model may fit yours, as well...

Another thought would be to buy a back-up 270 with a dust cover and keep it for parts...As evidenced here, this one didn't go for much...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/REALISTIC-LAB- ... 7675.l2557

Might even be cheaper than the dust cover alone... :-k

Post Reply