Sl1200G first impressions and test

snap, crackle and pop
cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Sl1200G first impressions and test

Post by cafe latte » 12 Dec 2019 10:12

No test today, too early just fist impressions positives and negatives.
The overall sl1200G is amazing kind of like an SP10mk2 with an arm. Really lovely, but there are negs regarding initial impressions. The on off switch is better on the mk2, the arm raise on the mk2 is smoother and has less play and the arm wires have a tiny bit of resistance 're anti skate, very minor point but 6.5k it should not be there. Real world it does not matter as it is tiny and you have anti skate dialed in anyway. Other negs is the rear weight feels stiff to adjust but sonically probably not a bad thing. Lowering the arm also feels nicer on the mk2, but it may be just the G is new.
Ok moans it of the way, build otherwise is amazing, feet starting at the bottom are amazing, far nicer than those on the sl1200mk2. Plinth is lovely, also love led strobe and pop up light. Lid is similar to sl1200mk2. Platter is level, platter bolts have cones washers which is a nice touch. Headshell is disappointing no better than any I bought from China.
're sound I will be getting a damper but without it sound is amazing, tap the arm it is clearly different to the sl1200mk2.
I need the weekend but difference is not night and day to mk2, but initial impression is cleaner, more of the same great stuff but just a bit better, but need to do a lot more listening with a few carts when I have not spent a day at work.
Few pics :)
Attachments
20191212_164637.jpg
(67.77 KiB) Downloaded 256 times

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Re: Sl1200G first impressions and test

Post by cafe latte » 12 Dec 2019 10:16

Unpacking...
Attachments
20191212_171337.jpg
(91.66 KiB) Downloaded 245 times

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Post by cafe latte » 12 Dec 2019 10:26

Playing vinyl :D
Attachments
20191212_202516.jpg
(104.04 KiB) Downloaded 249 times

Vinylfreak86
long player
long player

Post by Vinylfreak86 » 12 Dec 2019 10:34

I would like to be in your room.:) But I suppose that this model even it is not a DJ version, doesn`t have auto-return mechanism inside.

Bluesnote
Australia

Post by Bluesnote » 12 Dec 2019 10:36

Congratulations 8)

All that overtime has paid off, I'm sure the small negatives will be well and truly out weighed by the new listening experience =D>

Chris

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Post by cafe latte » 12 Dec 2019 10:48

Bluesnote wrote:
12 Dec 2019 10:36
Congratulations 8)

All that overtime has paid off, I'm sure the small negatives will be well and truly out weighed by the new listening experience =D>

Chris
It sounds amazing, just trying to be honest 're flaws.
Going to be a fun weekend there will be a lot of carts tried.
Chris

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Post by cafe latte » 12 Dec 2019 10:52

Too tired tonight but want to compare the sl1200mk2, SP10mk2 and the sl1200G. Not sure differences are huge but until I do side by side don't want to comment as audio memory is cr@p so need back and forth to know.
Chris

ODS123

Post by ODS123 » 12 Dec 2019 11:28

Congrats!

I have an SL1210gr and recall that for the first several months the cuing lever was a bit sticky in it's movement. It took a while, but this eventually went away. ..Seems that the materials needed to break in just a bit. It now articulates very smoothly. ..Though I don't recall this issue with the on/off switch, this may also be he case - it may eventually break-in.

Good luck with the TT, you'll love it I'm betting!!

goatbreath
long player
long player
Scotland

Post by goatbreath » 12 Dec 2019 11:32

The arm lift tends to droop,not stay up when the cue lever is pushed back on my SL1500 C at times..
It doesn't feel amazing either, a wee bit Mickey Mouse..It lifts the arm though and the descent is OK..
There is zero drift but the rubber on the lift is new..

Also the Big Switch,the Power button rather than the start one feels a touch fudgy..
The only things I would pick on though..

I know your Tonearm is Magnesium and mine is not..
I think the arm on the SL1500 C behaves like the Mass with Technics Headshell is less than 12 grams..
Also Anti Skate is often over the amount needed for a given weight on the dial,on the 1500 C
it is either bang on or slightly under..

I tried floating the arm,then putting the dial to zero,then dialing in the weight..
I then checked with scales..It seems to be really accurate..
I still use scales for speed though..

The SL1200 G must weigh a ton..

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Post by cafe latte » 12 Dec 2019 20:15

goatbreath wrote:
12 Dec 2019 11:32
The arm lift tends to droop,not stay up when the cue lever is pushed back on my SL1500 C at times..
It doesn't feel amazing either, a wee bit Mickey Mouse..It lifts the arm though and the descent is OK..

Also the Big Switch,the Power button rather than the start one feels a touch fudgy..

I think the arm on the SL1500 C behaves like the Mass with Technics Headshell is less than 12 grams..
Also Anti Skate is often over the amount needed for a given weight on the dial,on the 1500 C

I tried floating the arm,then putting the dial to zero,then dialing in the weight..

Yes it is very heavy, just a few small things letting the side down. The on of switch is for sure a step backwards ie the sl1200mk2 one is better. it is a bit rubbish that the arm height adjuster has slop, again no issue as arm lock when locked just naf that the sl1200mk2 one is better. Not sure about the skinny mat either as I have tried 3 carts so far and all I needed to be on arm height zero so some carts for sure are going to need a thicker mat.
need to find a way to do some recording so I can do some comparisons this weekend.
Cheers
Chris

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Post by cafe latte » 13 Dec 2019 06:56

Not long home so I set up both my sl1210mk2 with a Grado gold 2, then removed it and set it up on the sl1200G so swapping the cart between the two was a matter of seconds as swapping headshell. First up Lana del Ray on the sl1210mk2, then same track on the sl1200G, then back again, then back again. Need to work out a way to record over the weekend, but this initial test sown the modded sl1210mk2 does very well indeed, with similar presentation. The G is a little wider it seems and when music is complicated the placement of instruments is more defined which would be expected with the better arm. This is not night and day stuf this is opinion swapping back and forth. The G is just a bit more free and cleaner and better defined in busy patches. Trying to avoid perception bias so if I can record some snips (no promise need to see if my cd recorder works) it will be interesting to see how VE members do.
I purposely picked a modest cart as though limitations might show more than fitting my better carts.
Anyway so far the G has it but it is showing that a modded Technics is no slouch. Got me thinking how the Kab glass and rubber mat might sound or the silicon arm sleeve on the sl1210mk2.. Clearly the motor unit is up there as the thing I think I am hearing is likely the arm differences.
Chris

DrMike

Post by DrMike » 13 Dec 2019 21:49

The arm is good enough and a totally different material, IMHO the sleeve would degrade the sound.
The basic deck and platter are worlds away from anything bar a Timestep Evo modded SL1200, SP10.
If you really want to hear the difference I suggest an Ortofon Cadenza Bronze or Black cartridge, Hana low output MC or even an AT 760VM SLC.
The 1200G is a giant killer of a deck IF on a suitable support and perfectly level!

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Post by cafe latte » 13 Dec 2019 22:09

DrMike wrote:
13 Dec 2019 21:49
The arm is good enough and a totally different material, IMHO the sleeve would degrade the sound.
The basic deck and platter are worlds away from anything bar a Timestep Evo modded SL1200, SP10.
If you really want to hear the difference I suggest an Ortofon Cadenza Bronze or Black cartridge, Hana low output MC or even an AT 760VM SLC.
The 1200G is a giant killer of a deck IF on a suitable support and perfectly level!
Not a fan at all of the Timestep mods his psu for example has a long umbilical which is not a good idea as the distance is large from the regs. Kab does it better with his psu being as good as battery, cheaper too. Kab also does strobe disable and Kab does some nice mods on the arm which transform its performance without removing it.
I also have a restored SP10mk2 which I will include in any tests I do.
Not a fan of 2m carts, the black is nice but not my cup of tea. I have around 50 carts to play with MM MI and MC and my Decca super gold which I want to try today, so I wont be buying anymore not any time soon anyway till my bank account recovers.
Chris

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Post by cafe latte » 13 Dec 2019 22:13

goatbreath wrote:
12 Dec 2019 11:32

The other slightly annoying thing with the arm is it floats at the spidle, it floats in the middle of the record, but it wont float at the edge it wants to swing to the rest. Not strongly to be an issue but annoying all the same. Cant remember what my sl1200mk2 did before the rewire as it is too long ago. The anti skate will swamp the tiny effect but it is still annoying.
Chris

lenjack
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by lenjack » 13 Dec 2019 22:22

I would roughen the surface of the lift bar with sandpaper or the like, where it contacts the arm when in the lift position. The added friction should negate this effect.