New not basic turntable (suggestion)

snap, crackle and pop
Chironex
Italy

New not basic turntable (suggestion)

Post by Chironex » 08 Dec 2019 17:38

Just to add a turntable to my system to listen my vinyl collection from eighties as some new ones. I am considering to buy one of these:
REGA P3 700 euro
TECHNICS SL 1500 900 euro
TECHNICS SL 1200 MK7 800 euri
What do you suggest?

Issuesman666
Trinidad & Tobago

Re: New not basic turntable (suggestion)

Post by Issuesman666 » 08 Dec 2019 17:54

What other equipment do you have?

Chironex
Italy

Post by Chironex » 08 Dec 2019 18:09

Mc book pro
McIntosh Ma8000(with phono stage)
Focal 1028 be
Audiolab 8200 cd

Woodbrains
England

Post by Woodbrains » 08 Dec 2019 18:14

Hello,

If you don't have a phono stage on your system, than the Technics SL 1500 is the one to have. Even if you do have a phono preamp, then it is still possibly the best choice since it has arm auto lift/return at the end of a record and this could be quite handy. The SL 1200 would not be on my list as it is aimed at DJ use. It is likely so similar to the 1500 as to not make a difference, but I would never use the DJ orientated elements and it hasn't auto lift. The Rega is a good table, but totally manual and no phono stage. If you accept these lack of convenient features, they sound good coupled with a good cart. I have had Rega tables and they are nice enough. I think I would go for the 1500 myself, though, if I was going to get a new table and the choice was between these 3.

Mike.
Last edited by Woodbrains on 08 Dec 2019 18:20, edited 1 time in total.

abs1
United States of America

Post by abs1 » 08 Dec 2019 18:18

I'd go with either of the Technics, the 1500 if I valued its auto features, the MK7 if the price was of more importance.

Quite frankly, presently owning three fully manual 'tables makes me miss the semi-autos that I owned in the past :wink:

Cheers,
Al

Woodbrains
England

Post by Woodbrains » 08 Dec 2019 18:18

Hello,

Crossed post, I now understand you do have a phono preamp. So either the Rega or the SL1500. I would still tend to go for the Technics, the phono stage is bypass able so it could be fun to experiment. I don't think the Rega gains anything over the Technics by not having the phone stage. Sometimes the lack of a phono stage means there is more spent on quality in other areas, but I don't see it.

Mike.

Issuesman666
Trinidad & Tobago

Post by Issuesman666 » 08 Dec 2019 18:21

I don't like built in phono stages even if they can be bypassed.

I would go for the Rega.

Chironex
Italy

Post by Chironex » 08 Dec 2019 18:58

Issuesman666 wrote:
08 Dec 2019 18:21
Me too. But I like a lot the technics look

Woodbrains
England

Post by Woodbrains » 08 Dec 2019 18:59

:idea:
Issuesman666 wrote:
08 Dec 2019 18:21

I would go for the Rega.
Hello,

I've not heard the phono stage in the Technics, but frankly if it has the correct RIAA equalisation (and why wouldn't it, Technics know what they are doing), what could be so bad about one?

I would normally avoid a built in phono stage, only for the fact that if they were left out the table would be a bit cheaper, or the quality would be better in other areas. I strongly think that the Technics is on the whole a higher quality unit than three Rega, even with the phono stage. The Rega has a reasonably good arm. I would find myself baulking at paying 700 Euro for a black foiled MDF plinth. The belt drive is probably not as stable as the DD of the technics, without another expensive PSU mod. Everything else on these Technics looks better.

Mike.

Woodbrains
England

Post by Woodbrains » 08 Dec 2019 19:29

Hello,

The other thing that might be important to the OP; removable headshell and adjustable VTA on the Technics. Neither possible on the Rega. VTA adjustment is another upgrade for more money on the Rega.

By all accounts, the built in phono stage on the Technics is very good.

Mike.

cminor7b5

Post by cminor7b5 » 08 Dec 2019 19:56

i've owned an Opera Consonance Wax since March 2019. it replaced a Rega P3 2018. i have been very happy with it's performance. Here is a link to my review: viewtopic.php?t=111874

The turntable comes with a MM Outboard Phono Preamp. The performance of the Wax Engine makes me want to hear a Opera Die Walküre Turntable with a Well Tempered arm. i highly recommend!

Vinylfreak86
long player
long player

Post by Vinylfreak86 » 08 Dec 2019 20:31

Everything new, except Panasonic corporation is more or less bad compromise of design in favor of cheap costs and in many cases lack of know-how.

raphaelmabo
long player
long player
Sweden

Post by raphaelmabo » 08 Dec 2019 20:49

Chironex wrote:
08 Dec 2019 17:38
Just to add a turntable to my system to listen my vinyl collection from eighties as some new ones. I am considering to buy one of these:
REGA P3 700 euro
TECHNICS SL 1500 900 euro
TECHNICS SL 1200 MK7 800 euri
What do you suggest?
The Rega and the Technics are very different turntables. First, the Rega is made in Great Britain while the Technics are made in Malaysia to get production costs down. The Rega is a low mass design with belt drive and the Technics are direct drives with big plinth. The Rega has fully manual speed change (you move the belt), the Technics has electronic speed change. And the Rega comes with it's own cartridges.

My simple suggestion is to listen to them and get the one that your ears likes the most.

I have a Thorens TD203 myself and I'm very pleased, it competes with the Rega P3 head-to-head and it's a low mass belt driven turntable like the Rega but with electronic speed change and an unipivot tonearm. Thorens also makes the direct drive 402 DD with autostop like the Technics SL 1500C. The TD203 is made in Germany and the TD402 is made to Thorens specifications and design in Taiwan. They are both 700 - 900 euro turntables so fits within your budget.

The US maker VPI Industries has their Cliffwood turntable in this price segment too, it's a nice looking (especially in walnut finish) fully manual unit (similar to the Rega P3) that comes with a Grado Green cartridge pre-mounted.

Note that there are those that express their opinions about new turntables being crap and that you should only buy vintage from the 70's, well I strongly disagree with them. There are many good makers of turntables today. Rega, Thorens and Technics and VPI are among them, but it also exist others. It is simply not true that designers and engineers of new turntables lacks knowledge and skills. But what is true is that prices has gone up. It's simply more expensive to make a good turntable today than it was in the 70's. Production costs are higher because of lower output than in the 70's, it's only the low end models that are really mass produced.