How to balance a CEC BD 1000 tone-arm?

snap, crackle and pop
ReMC
Netherlands

How to balance a CEC BD 1000 tone-arm?

Post by ReMC » 08 Dec 2019 17:00

Good evening,

Last month I was the proud owner of just one TT. One month later I have four! :D

Yesterday, I bought myself a very nice CEC BD1000 in mind condition. I am trying to check the current setup. Does anybody know how to properly setup a CEC BD 1000 tonearm? There is a proper counterweight, that is pretty straight forward to setup. However, the is no anti-skating dial to turn. These arms have a little weight with two little rods attached to it. A little screw is holding it in place. No idea though how to set it up properly. The manual does not help either

Any feedback is highly appreciated.

Thanks.

GuidoK

Re: How to balance a CEC BD 1000 tone-arm?

Post by GuidoK » 08 Dec 2019 18:39

I think you need a test record for this (as there are no markings on how much you have to turn in or out that little weight).
So either a test record with a grooveless area (you set the antiskating force so that the stylus skids in the middle and doesnt drift to any of the sides) or a test record with a strong test tone so that you dial in the antiskating force depending on in what channel you hear the distortion first.

I imagine that that little screw either secures the weight or it extends it in or out? (never had a BD1000/BD2000)

Normally this is quite a good way to implement antiskating but it usually has a rod with markings where to set the weight.

AsOriginallyRecorded
Canada

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 08 Dec 2019 20:10

I have a variant of this or perhaps a BD-2000 table that was sold as part of a decent for the time Sears Professional system. It continues to play well,and is in NM original condition. I also have the manuals that came with all the components. A quick refresher read confirms my original thoughts...the unit ships with the optimum anti-skate set t the factory. No tinkering should be attempted, since any specifications would likely be impossible to obtain. As long as you make sure the inner arm is flipped under the arm, the factory pre-set will do the rest for you. I've enjoyed owning and using this TT for over 30 years (one replacement belt, a couple of drops of oil), and bring it back into rotation occasionally when I get sentimental. A worthy acquisition that I hope you get a lot of satisfaction from as well. 8)

GuidoK

Post by GuidoK » 08 Dec 2019 21:28

There's no such thing as 1 optimum antiskating setting.
It depends on the friction between stylus and record.
So apart from different records and signals on that record, the antiskating setting should be adjusted accoring both what stylus/cartridge you use and what styluspressure you use.
So the factory setting is at most an average setting for a particular stylus/cartridge at a particular stylus pressure.

AsOriginallyRecorded
Canada

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 09 Dec 2019 03:36

Point is, there is no adjustment available on the unit. Fiddle at your own risk. Just occasionally, the factory does know what it is doing. I have never had a problem with anti-skate with my unit in the long time I have owned and enjoyed it, and there are a lot of CEC designed and built TTs in the world doing the same, I am sure. Trusting the designer's directives works fine for me, but thanks for chiming in.

AsOriginallyRecorded
Canada

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 09 Dec 2019 07:12

This method of anti-skate control is apparently widely regarded as one of the most effective and elegant methods, originally developed by Plessey/Garrard. CEC paid a licensing fee to adapt the mechanism to it's own TTs. This information gleaned from the web, and according to KenT on another site. It is all good......and it works very well indeed!

ReMC
Netherlands

Post by ReMC » 09 Dec 2019 07:23

Thanks all! I managed to balance the tone arm simply by bypassing the little weight (turned it into the middle position using my right hand). That worked quite well. After this, the scale on the counterweight was set at 0 followed by turning the counterweight itself to the required tracking force. 2 grams in this case. Of course this depends on the cartridge fitted. It could be that the anti-skating force was factory preset to a value of 1,5-3 grams because CEC supplied this table with a cartridge that needs 1,5-3 grams of tracking force? My current Ortofon also requires 1,5-3 grams. If so, you are basically free to choose any cartridge you like, as long as it fits the range of 1,5-3grams of tracking force.