Is Thus Relic Adjustable

snap, crackle and pop
Fisher+120
United States of America

Is Thus Relic Adjustable

Post by Fisher+120 » 05 Dec 2019 21:51

I guess this vinyls disease can be fatal I just bought a new $450.00 Teac turntable for $100.00, hope that works out. Back to the real issue. My Fisher 120 came with a BSR turntable, I can not find the model number.
Does this 45 year old turntable need to be tuned up,like adjust the tracking arc and check the tracking weight?? Or is it too primitive to be adjustable?? More about the Teac when I get the paperwork.

lenjack
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: Is Thus Relic Adjustable

Post by lenjack » 05 Dec 2019 22:41

Look on the bottom or the back of the BSR for a model number.

KentT
long player
long player

Post by KentT » 06 Dec 2019 02:02

Some BSR higher end models have counterweights, easy tracking force adjustment a la Dual, anti-skating, 1/2" mount slide cartridge mounts, and 4 pole motors and high quality. The BSR 610 and 710 do. And a few earlier high end models. Fisher used them in better models of the era.

Fisher+120
United States of America

Post by Fisher+120 » 06 Dec 2019 19:26

Finally found d the numbers. Not sure what some of them mean. I have the turntable out of the cabinet, lots of greasy, sticky stuff there. Will clean and lube now. The numbers, MA65-B-1, FA1650195Model A15, S27 N 1V.
1 broken part, the hard rubber disc that us part of the attachment to the motor board. Not a critical part, I can make one if I need to. Found all the documentation for this unit, it is adjustable. Now I need a meter to check the tracking weight. I am a beginner so if I do not know the proper names of some of these things I will learn.
The TEAC turn table was not a $450.00 unit, they are all over for $199.00. Probably not worth the $100.00 it cost. It will do what I need but I am not so proud of it. How do you post photos??

AudioFeline
Australia

Post by AudioFeline » 07 Dec 2019 12:23

Welcome to VE Fisher+120.

What model is your Teac turntable? People like specifics here, and it helps in getting responses.

Don't worry about being judged with what you have - most of us have started with something ordinary, and have progressed. If your BSR is an auto-changer, I wouldn't pursue using it, your Teac may be a better option (my first stereo turntable was a BSR auto-changer, which was not kind to my records).

circularvibes
long player
long player

Post by circularvibes » 07 Dec 2019 15:11

Here is what I think your turntable is. https://www.vinylengine.com/library/bsr/ma65.shtml
If it has a magnetic cartridge attached, it will not do serious harm to your records. If it has a needle that can be flipped over, I'd only play old records or flea market finds on it. It would be easy enough to clean and lubricate the mechanism to give many years of enjoyment. The Teac table may be better, but I am not a fan of their tables. That is only my opinion, not the start of a flame war. Personally, I would take the same money the Teac is worth and buy a vintage Technics table or something similar to get better value.

Fisher+120
United States of America

Post by Fisher+120 » 07 Dec 2019 16:59

Yep, that is it. It does have a Pickering V-15 cartridge and a new stylus is ordered. I am really just interested in playing my old records without damaging them. Probably too late, they were played on this tt for years. The Teac is another story, screw up, fiasco or whatever. My son ordered it on line. it is not the $450 dollar unit it was advert ised as. I have $112 in it. It is this one...Teac TN-300SE-WA Analog Belt Drive Turntable, Walnut. This unit may be better for my records than the BSR.
I bought the Fisher 120 with the BSR tt 45 + years ago on the advice of a friend. The the Fisher was supposed to be a very good system at the time. Thanks for the help. I will finally be playing music again.

AudioFeline
Australia

Post by AudioFeline » 08 Dec 2019 07:31

The Pickering V-15 cartridge is essentially a Stanton 500. It's a good cart, 3rd party styli are available.
I'd be trusting the Teac as a player over the BSR. Turf the BSR, but keep the Pickering cart. The Walnut Teac turntable certainly looks nicer than the black version of the TT. It looks like it has an AT cart, but I can't be sure from the pic I looked at. I would think it would be an OK entry-level tt, but if you're serious about records save your money to buy a good quality turntable - there are lots of wonderful vintage tables with lots of life in them that will out perform most of the new turntables.

vanakaru

Post by vanakaru » 08 Dec 2019 09:41

Do not toss the BSR. You may find it rather good after proper servicing and when you get bored with your TEAC.

circularvibes
long player
long player

Post by circularvibes » 08 Dec 2019 15:56

The BSR is a reliable workhorse. The cartridge is good and you have been enjoying it for years already. Your records aren't dead because of playing on the BSR so stick with it. Grease and oil are cheap and an overhaul is very easy and doable. You were satisfied with it before and likely will continue to be after a good servicing. Many a BSR has passed through my hands and are still going strong in other peoples homes. I even use one in my garage because it won't die in the harsh environment with beater records while working on bicycles. Oh, that one was a garbage find that I couldn't leave at the street 10 years ago. Kinda like that sad light from the Ikea commercial. A little oil and grease and it is still going and going and going...

Fisher+120
United States of America

Post by Fisher+120 » 09 Dec 2019 21:54

Well, she got a light tune up. generally cleaned and lubed to the best of my ability. Was pretty clean but had some sticky grease in a few places. The old thing is playing Christmas music at this time. Stylus arrived a few minutes ago. My abilities are limited by my really poor eye sight. I am 82 years old, slowly going blind and my hearing is not so good either. On the bright side, I have grandsons who are smarter than I am and mechanically inclined. The 15 year old works on our motor cycles and I would trust the 11 year old to tune up a tt. We will adjust the tone arm as soon as I locate that downloadable tracking diagram. I have ordered a tracking force scale. I have learned so much from this forum. Heck. I thought you just slapped a record on the t and played it. Vinyl is much more complicated than I could ever imagine. Thanks for the help.

Mr Pig
Scotland

Post by Mr Pig » 09 Dec 2019 22:09

Fisher+120 wrote:
05 Dec 2019 21:51
I guess this vinyls disease can be fatal.
Singular of vinyl is vinyl. Plural of vinyl is..vinyl !

I know, it's like Lego. Americans just can't get it right. Plural of Lego os not 'Legos', it is still Lego.

So you collect vinyl, not vinyls.

cats squirrel
long player
long player
England

Post by cats squirrel » 09 Dec 2019 23:03

Our use of vinyl is short for vinyl record. So vinyl is an adjective, which is not pluralized, at least in English.

circularvibes
long player
long player

Post by circularvibes » 09 Dec 2019 23:07

Fisher+120, I am glad you got it all running, including getting your 11 year old grandson in on the fun. If you have never removed the cartridge since it was new, there should be no need to realign it. I think you may not be able to anyways. You can definitely reset the tracking weight in case the spring has weakened with age. If the cartridge isn't riding and scraping the records while you play, you are probably safe enough for now. The two worst places to clean and regrease are at the bearings and collar under the platter and the big gear cam underneath the machine. If you have good speed, steady change cycles and the arm acts like it should, you are well off. I do advise disassembling the motor, cleaning thoroughly and refilling with oil, but if speed is good and no squealing is happening, you might be okay. Enjoy your records and be sure to share your love of good music with your grandchildren. As a grandchild who learned so much about music lovng from all my grandparents, I suggest it in hopes of carrying the good music forward. I used to polka with Great Grandma Susie and she would bump to Kool and The Gang with me!

Fisher+120
United States of America

Post by Fisher+120 » 10 Dec 2019 04:36

My bad, I should have said Vinyl's disease like Parkinson's disease???
The cartridge has not been out of the BSR tt.. The Teac tt will be delivered tomorrow. I will set it up with my good Sony tuner/amp and see how that works. I have a good cassette deck, talk about going primitive, maybe hook that up too?? Seems like I am cleaning out my closet.