Buying a turntable

snap, crackle and pop
Hamid
United States of America

Buying a turntable

Post by Hamid » 05 Dec 2019 15:20

Is it possible to buy a decent one for $300?
I found a Philips GA 212 Turntable for $225 on local craig list (US). It looks nice and clean in the photo and supposedly working well.Should I check it?!
I am thankful for any response

Hamid

Vinylfreak86
long player
long player

Re: Buying a turntable

Post by Vinylfreak86 » 05 Dec 2019 16:12

These Philips series were very decent. Nicely designed in terms of quality and also good looking units. But 225$ is little expensive, because at the end it was not high-end model. For this price you can find one on much higher level. Also you will have to be aware that with so old unit, even bought from first owner, general service will have to be made.

edradour
Scotland

Post by edradour » 05 Dec 2019 19:48

Heavens yes! A nice mid range TT but that's an outrageous price. A couple of years back I bought one for £5.00!

chgc

Post by chgc » 06 Dec 2019 02:35

I don't know that particular model, but if the one you're interested in has been serviced by someone who knows what they're doing, and will stand behind their work if something goes wrong, and you really like it, maybe it's not a bad deal.

AsOriginallyRecorded
Canada

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 06 Dec 2019 04:38

Totally agree with what chgc says.....Philips products of that era generally quite good quality, but unless fully serviced and backed by some form of guarantee, not worth that much money. Check similar offerings elsewhere first, then make a fair offer. Might be surprised by the response. But be ready to walk away as well. Lots of other possibilities out there if this one eludes you. Welcome!

lbls1
United States of America

Post by lbls1 » 06 Dec 2019 18:25

It most certainly is possible to buy a great turntable for that amount and even lower. The key is to know what brand and type of turntable that you like. Your search will be easier if you have a brand that you admired from your past and/or you are well versed in turntable crafts. It was this way for me, that despite being out of the hobby for 30 years, upon my re-entry I was inspired to try out one or two of my past favorite crafts. Bear in mind, that it still wasn't a cake-walk, as buying a vintage turntable could expose you to servicing the turntable due to age.

If you are new to turntables, then my advice would be to take it slower with your search. Look around and observe a few brands that you may like, and research them for quality. When you finally find the ideal turntable, then do your best to obtain it. It can be fun if you buy the exact craft that you like.

nat
long player
long player

Post by nat » 06 Dec 2019 21:46

Where are you - a general location might stimulate other VE people who are local to make offers.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 07 Dec 2019 00:06

Yeah, let us know where you're located, Hamid...We might be able to recommend something in your area? :-k

Either that, or if you're really into the Philips, I would try to talk him down on the price...EBay prices are one thing, but on my local CL, I've seen them for much less...What they're selling for and what they're fetching are two different things...I personally wouldn't go more than $150 for a fully serviced model...One that needs much work, think under $100...$60-80 is about the range I see them for in really rough condition...Remember, everything depends on condition...You can get a "project" for much less, but keep in mind the time and labor you will be putting into it...A nicer model would be better, if you're not that handy, but remember...Don't overpay! [-X