Turntable Speed

snap, crackle and pop
weeman1973

Turntable Speed

Post by weeman1973 » 02 Dec 2019 21:43

I recently got a lovely Ariston RD80 and spent a bit of time at the weekend getting it set up correctly.

I’ve added my RB250 arm and an Ortofon 2M Red and have to say I really like the sound it’s giving me, however, it is running ever so slightly slow (Turntabulator App saying 0.7% at 33.1rpm).

I’ve added new oil to the bearing, lubed the motor with a couple of drops of oil as well as getting a new belt but it’s still at 33.1rpm.

Should this concern me or is it within an acceptable tolerance (app says it’s “Ideal”)? I also have a Technics SL1200 which as you would expect bang on the money with its speed as well as an RP3 and we all know Rega’s run a little fast so maybe it’s being used to these TT’s which is making the Ariston sound perhaps slower than it actually is?

Would a change of motor be worth while on such an old deck (even if I could find one) or even an upgrade?

nat
long player
long player

Re: Turntable Speed

Post by nat » 02 Dec 2019 22:10

Can you hear the difference in tone? If not, it might make sense not to worry about it. If not, your first move should be to make sure that your turntabulator app itself is correct (try it on the Technics, maybe), and then try a thicker belt. The functional thickness of the motor pulley includes half the thickness of the belt, since the belt bends around its neutral zone, and the zones of compression and expansion on the inside and outside just go along for the ride.
If you didn't clean out the main bearing before adding oil, that might be worth doing also, since the old lubricant may have become more viscous, and even mixed with the added oil, may be slowing things down.

weeman1973

Post by weeman1973 » 03 Dec 2019 10:10

Thanks for your reply however in my search to 'fix' this alleged issue, I fear I have done more harm than good!

I now cannot stop the motor pulley slipping all the way down to the bottom of the spindle which in turn now stops the belt staying on the platter.

Moral to be learned me thinks -  leave well alone in future!

pivot
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by pivot » 03 Dec 2019 16:20

Had to use a little bit of Loc-tite on the pulley to make a proper fit on my modified AR. A little dab will do ya.

On the original speed issue; Make sure your replacement belts have correct stock thickness. The thickness of the belt material can make minor variation in speed.

Solist
Slovenia

Post by Solist » 03 Dec 2019 16:29

It could also be that you used a higher viscosity oil than recommended. That would cause the turntable to run slow. Check the service manual if it mentions what oil to use.

tlscapital
long player
long player
Belgium

Post by tlscapital » 03 Dec 2019 21:25

weeman1973 wrote:
03 Dec 2019 10:10
Thanks for your reply however in my search to 'fix' this alleged issue, I fear I have done more harm than good!

I now cannot stop the motor pulley slipping all the way down to the bottom of the spindle which in turn now stops the belt staying on the platter.

Moral to be learned me thinks -  leave well alone in future!
Don't know these Ariston turntables but what exactly have you done to the pulley or to it's shaft for that to happen ? If ever indeed any "trick" to keep it right and tight in place should do the trick in the meantime.

On the "speed" issue if ever; a good isopropyl clean of the belt, the platter side where the belt trip it and of the pulley before anything else is always good and the clean and relube of the platter bearing a must.

Coming from the in the SL-1200's we trust for decades prior my most unexpected switch and conversion to old wobbly belt driven player, my ear was rather well trained to speed accuracy and constancy.

To my surprise my ear senitivity instantly found favor with such "vintage" sonic signature. And if I got used somehow to the wow & flutter factor/issue, the speed accuracy started to bother me too much at one time.

During the process of DIY tweaks on my Thorens TD160 'E' and SME3009 'Improved', my sound rendition became more and more of the clear and deep kind, allowing every details in playback to show more and more.

To grace all those improvement I did one step at a time during two years on a very tight budget, I finally treated myself with an external PSU & tachometer combo to reach speed constancy and accuracy once and for all.

Mind you prior to that I did try different makings of brands of new belts and tested them (with recorded timing) and got the slower results with unbranded, less slower with branded and closer to right speed with OL ones.

But, as it was mentioned by 'nat' on here before, you should first let your ear decides and finds if this bothers you or not. Specs reliability if they don't lie can become over obsessive even when un-noticeable by our ear.