snap, crackle and pop
Vinylfreak86
long player
long player

Re: Just got an AT-LP7 and.....

Post by Vinylfreak86 » 04 Dec 2019 10:18

DL110luvr wrote:
04 Dec 2019 08:24

As owner of TWO Reloop 7000s....I can attest to their quality!!
I look at them as sort of a "poor man's Technics"....!:)
My 7000s get used on my Part 15 FM station....they have AT95e cartridges, and I'm VERY careful with back-cueing!!
I agree that Reloop RP-7000 or PLX-1000 (both made on the same basis) are very good, but they are not so cheap. Arround 550 eur for RP-7000 (without dustcover) and 660 eur for PLX-1000. But they are still questionable in terms of service (no replacement parts available and a lot of together glued inner parts). In this case it is better idea to wait for some months to save the money for Technics SL-1200 mk7, where replacement parts are not the problem and thing can be easily disassembled. And no fear to get a unit with flaws.

raphaelmabo
long player
long player
Sweden

Post by raphaelmabo » 04 Dec 2019 11:35

Re: Reloop, I was more thinking about the Turn hifi-series than their DJ-tables. They are high-quality stable performers, especially the Turn 5, but also the Turn 3 offers good value for money, if a bit let down by a sub-standard built-in phono pre.

Now, regarding the AT-LP7, sure it's a capable performer at a good price. One can't deny the ability in China and Taiwan to offer high quality and performance at low prices. It is a combination of mass market production and low labour cost / low salaries to the workers. A european turntable of same quality would cost 200 euro more.

raphaelmabo
long player
long player
Sweden

Post by raphaelmabo » 04 Dec 2019 11:39

plyscds wrote:
28 Nov 2019 17:52
Let's hope Audio-Technica's leadership has exposed itself to the concerns of its critics and has acted to bring its product quality level and image up to where it needs to be. It is logical that a car maker who makes bullet-proof engines and mates them to transmissions that displease or self-destruct within the first year of use won't last in the market place. And that has been where A-T has been with some of its turntables, one of which I came to own some time ago. I hope yours works out well for you. :)
The AT-LP7 is Audio-Technica's most expensive turntable and it of course offers higher quality than the cheapest AT's. Sure the inexpensive AT-turntables had poor quality, but that was expected when considering their low price.

JoeE SP9
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by JoeE SP9 » 04 Dec 2019 16:33

plyscds wrote:
04 Dec 2019 06:22
JoeE SP9 wrote:
03 Dec 2019 18:08
I respectfully disagree with your reason for anti-skating being needed. If it's only the inner groove that causes skating, how come a blank (no groove) LP causes an arm to skate?
A wide open circular-spinning flat surface and a confined v-shaped arced groove are two very different environments and the effects they exert upon a stylus are quite different. I do not dispute what happens with a flat spinning disc except to say it has no bearing on what a stylus on an overhung tonearm experiences in a record groove.

gallery/image/47809/source

I have borrowed a drawing from the AT-PL120 owner's manual and added a line of force from the tonearm's horizontal pivot. This line of force is what a typical overhung stylus encounters regardless of the shape of the tonearm. The line sees the approximately five-o'clock portion of the stylus experiencing the strongest force from the inside facet of the groove. Uncorrected, this will result in a stronger inner (left channel) vibration sent to the cartridge's signal generators which will ultimately result in a louder presentation in the left channel perceived as the soundfield favoring the left side.

What antiskate correction systems, in all their forms, attempt to do is impart a slight outward twisting force to the tonearm toward the outer groove which carries right channel information. When the proper degree of outward correction has been applied the soundfield will appear to be centered.

This makes more sense to me than saying that a force from the outer side of the record is pressing the stylus inward resulting in a stronger reaction on the inside of the stylus than from the outer side of the stylus where the force was originally applied.
I'm fully aware of what and how antiskating is designed to fix and how it's implemented. I'm also aware of the various methods used (magnetic, spring, twisted tonearm leads and weight on a string).

You're missing my point. Which is, even with no groove a conventional arm/cartridge generates skating force. That the amount generated is greater and somewhat variable when tracking a groove is a given.

It's the geometry of the arm itself that causes skating. Note: tangentially tracking arms do not need anti skating compensation as they don't generate any skating.

plyscds
United States of America

Post by plyscds » 04 Dec 2019 23:13

JoeE SP9, check for PM. ;)

Erin1

Post by Erin1 » 05 Dec 2019 13:17

Vinylfreak86 wrote:
04 Dec 2019 10:18
But they are still questionable in terms of service (no replacement parts available and a lot of together glued inner parts)
Replacement parts ARE available. You don't look hard enough.

A lot of glued??
No, just one part I know of.

howardpgh
United States of America

Post by howardpgh » 05 Dec 2019 21:01

Does Audio Technica sell turntables because they sell cartridges?

Vinylfreak86
long player
long player

Post by Vinylfreak86 » 05 Dec 2019 21:38

howardpgh wrote:
05 Dec 2019 21:01
Does Audio Technica sell turntables because they sell cartridges?
They make cartridges by themselves and in that business they are really good for the price. Back in the days they did only this. But now they are selling turntables under their brand, because there is a demand on a market. If there would be a demand on CD players, they probably sold them.

themisto462
Germany

Post by themisto462 » 05 Dec 2019 23:10

A little bit off topic here from me (sorry):
Vinylfreak86 wrote:
05 Dec 2019 21:38
They make cartridges by themselves and in that business they are really good for the price. Back in the days they did only this. But now they are selling turntables under their brand, because there is a demand on a market.
Only in the very early days ... Since the late 1960's, audio-technica has rapidly expanded its product offering with tonearms, various accessories, headphones and microphones.
Vinylfreak86 wrote:
05 Dec 2019 21:38
If there would be a demand on CD players, they probably sold them.
In fact, there was a CD player - the AT-CD10 (~1985)
AT-CD10_1.JPG
(50.18 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
AT-CD10_2.JPG
(69.06999999999999 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
Reviewed in the German magazine "FonoForum" in February 1986.
FonoForum 02_86.jpg
(200.46 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
Regards.