Pioneer PL512 restoration advice.

snap, crackle and pop
guygamps

Pioneer PL512 restoration advice.

Post by guygamps » 27 Nov 2019 17:12

Hi

I just bought a really nice condition PL512, it is going to be a XMAS pressie gift for young adult daughter. It's been with same owner since new (local to me so I was able to go and inspect/collect). All good. I'd like to do a bit of work to it.
Install a new cartridge (it doesn't have one) - an AT95e seems the ubiquitous choice
Install new headset cables
Install a new belt
Replenish the bearing oil

All above are within my capabilities having working on a few decks in my youth.

Question about the bearing out,
I recall from years back using a cotton bud to clear out the original oil, taking care not to lose the bearing which might either be at bottom of spindle or bottom of bearing of shaft. Once that's done put in new oil using a syringe and gently reinsert the spindle.
a) would above be the correct procedure b) any recommendations for oil c) how much should go in once it is cleared out?

Anything else I can usefully do? the deck is function fine at moment but speed seems to be wandering at 33.9 =/- 1.90%, i am hoping to tighten that up with the measures above

Final question, I have a small bottle of bearing oil which has never been used or open that I got from Michel about 15 years ago, does the oil age/thicken? should I use new oil? or will it be OK?

Cheers

Guy

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Re: Pioneer PL512 restoration advice.

Post by Alec124c41 » 28 Nov 2019 14:39

The shaft and the ball occupy almost the entirety of the bearing.
I use enough oil to cover the ball, plus a drop or two on the shaft.
Good oil is stable for many years. For example, 3-in-one general purpose is not good oil, because it has other additives, and it gums up in about 5 years of use, but their electric motor oil is fine.
I think the oil you have will be good.

Cheers,
Alec

raymonda

Post by raymonda » 02 Dec 2019 20:46

Mobile 1 Synthetic

guygamps

Post by guygamps » 14 Dec 2019 12:40

Thank you, so far this is progress I have made
New belt fitted - speed issues resolved
New cartridge headshell leads installed
New cartridge (AT95e) installed
Cartridge alignment check, and tonearm balanced
Basic function tests and first listening test.

You will notice I have not replaced the bearing oil (yet)

Everything is good, but I do have one problem. On raising the tonearm and moving towards the record, the motor starts and off we go, but at that time I can feel small tingling vibrartion from the motor (I think it is at 50hz) physically manifest itself in the tonearm, and headshell, just lightly touching the tonearm or headshell anywhere I can feel it tingling away.

The output from the cartridge is clean, noise and hum free, but as soon as it makes contact with the vinyl there is some hum. I beleive it is a mechanical transfer not electro magnetic (because the audio output is clean of hum before contact with the record surface).

Before I tackled bearing oil (indeed I may not even tackle that), I would like to see if this is resolvable. I suspect it isn't without getting in to how the motor is mounted in the plinth and isolating that somehow, but let's see what the kind members of this forum think.

Thanks

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 14 Dec 2019 18:11

To stop that tingling in any electronic component, try reversing the 2-prong plug.

Cheers,
Alec

guygamps

Post by guygamps » 15 Dec 2019 20:29

thanks, but it is not a 2 prong plug, how would that help? I could re wire the british 3 pin plug swapping over +ve/-ve
but not sure how it would help...

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 15 Dec 2019 20:59

3-prong plugs should be properly oriented, live-neutral-ground. The older 2-prong plugs were reversible, so it was 50-50.
If there is a 2-prong plug downstream, try that.

Cheers,
Alec