Volume swells and extreme pops

snap, crackle and pop
ChapelRob
Sweden

Volume swells and extreme pops

Post by ChapelRob » 22 Nov 2019 23:00

Hello vinylfriends!
Been struggelin with my TT since last year and I can not figure out the cause of this annoying problem.
Some records sounds so bad on my Pioneer PL-514X TT. The volume drops and swells incredible much on certain records while it plays great on others.
It has it original PU but the stylus has been replaced. All settings has been done about a million times and I have tried it on several different recievers.
I have let friends try the bad sounding records on their setup and they play great there . Plz help, I love my old PL-514❤️

lenjack
long player
long player

Re: Volume swells and extreme pops

Post by lenjack » 22 Nov 2019 23:05

Both channels? If only one, reverse connections to receiver, and let us know if problem switches channels. What is PU?

circularvibes
long player
long player

Post by circularvibes » 23 Nov 2019 00:07

PU=Pick-Up, i.e. cartridge. I would see if the cueing mechanism is not going all the way down.

ChapelRob
Sweden

Post by ChapelRob » 23 Nov 2019 09:58

The feeling is that it happens on both L and R but I'll investigate that fact during the day and get back to you when it's done.
Circularvibes, I've tried both to increase the pressure and reduced it with no success of getting rid of this problem. But I'll try setting it up from scratch one more time and get back with the result👍

nat
long player
long player

Post by nat » 23 Nov 2019 13:00

Have you checked the electronics - that sounds more like an amp problem.

ChapelRob
Sweden

Post by ChapelRob » 23 Nov 2019 13:34

I've tried it with 3 different setups:
1. Old 70's amp with internal riaa. (my ordinary setup)
2. The soundsystem for my television, nothing fancy at all, external riaa.
3. Through my recording studio, external riaa.
Same result.

Now I have been watching at the tonearm very close and notice a slight constant pending sideways back and forth. Will try to set it up from scratch once more.
I'm doing that following this tutorial:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... OD4xbU2nov

circularvibes
long player
long player

Post by circularvibes » 23 Nov 2019 15:27

ChapelRob wrote:
23 Nov 2019 09:58
The feeling is that it happens on both L and R but I'll investigate that fact during the day and get back to you when it's done.
Circularvibes, I've tried both to increase the pressure and reduced it with no success of getting rid of this problem. But I'll try setting it up from scratch one more time and get back with the result👍
I meant the bar that raises and lowers the arm. Sometimes they get sticky and don't lower all the way.

circularvibes
long player
long player

Post by circularvibes » 23 Nov 2019 18:19

I have looked at the service manual in the VE library and do not see a muting switch. I still suspect the cueing mechanism (not the counterweight) is at fault but it might be possible the replacement stylus is faulty. Do you still have the old one to try and see if the sound is affected? Do you have any friends who are well enough informed on swapping headshells that could try yours on their table or loan you a headshell and cartridge to temprarily try on your table? I would worry about setting the tracking force but not alignment for this test. A few minutes of playing this way won't hurt a stylus but could eliminate the cartridge or stylus.

dagfinn
Norway

Post by dagfinn » 23 Nov 2019 20:06

Could be bad/dirty connections on headshell cables or headshell/arm plug.

ChapelRob
Sweden

Post by ChapelRob » 23 Nov 2019 20:44

The bar has no problem with reaching beneath the plate even, and moves smoothly. Made a set up again and still the same. Replaced to new needle just because of this and the problem is at the same level.
Still concerned about the tonearm movement. But if that would be the cause it should be a more swaying volume drop. Now it is several seconds volume drops.
Will take my TT to a kneighbour this evening.