JVC L-A31 Set up

snap, crackle and pop
amagasakii
Canada

Re: JVC L-A31 Set up

Post by amagasakii » 25 Nov 2019 20:19

I'd be inclined to go with the 1280T speakers as they have separate bass and treble controls and a remote. The cheaper ones will have you reaching around the back of them every time you want to change the volume.

Also, in no way am I saying this setup is going to sound phenomenal, but I bet it sounds good enough for now. I guarantee you at least a few people on this forum just winced in pain at the idea of a Pyle preamp; it's entirely subjective. If it sounds good to you, that's all that matters!

Vanni

Post by Vanni » 26 Nov 2019 17:54

amagasakii wrote:
25 Nov 2019 20:19
I'd be inclined to go with the 1280T speakers as they have separate bass and treble controls and a remote. The cheaper ones will have you reaching around the back of them every time you want to change the volume.

Also, in no way am I saying this setup is going to sound phenomenal, but I bet it sounds good enough for now. I guarantee you at least a few people on this forum just winced in pain at the idea of a Pyle preamp; it's entirely subjective. If it sounds good to you, that's all that matters!

Certainly not me! I don't have a Pyle preamp and it would be foolish of me to knock it just because it doesn't go for big $$$ and is not made by one of the big names. In fact, experience has taught me that certain products from some highly regarded brands are way over rated and way over priced. This does not only apply to audio gear but to everything else as well, be it a brand new TV or a simple beard trimmer :wink:

amagasakii
Canada

Post by amagasakii » 26 Nov 2019 23:53

Vanni wrote:
26 Nov 2019 17:54
In fact, experience has taught me that certain products from some highly regarded brands are way over rated and way over priced. This does not only apply to audio gear but to everything else as well, be it a brand new TV or a simple beard trimmer :wink:
Ha! The one thing it took me some time to learn is that the quality brand names of my youth are all owned by umbrella companies that license the brand names to whichever company made the low-end stuff of my youth. Every Hitachi or Philips or Sansui is just an Emerson or Curtis or Craig.

And the Wahl beard trimmer I bought was a piece of junk compared to my Philips. Replacement parts cost more than buying an entire new kit. #-o

hoffmana3
United States of America

Post by hoffmana3 » 02 Dec 2019 17:40

Thank you all so very much for all of the help
A friend just offered me a JVC RX-701V digital surround sound system reciever, that being said, i would just need speakers at this point correct? or do i still need to also get a pre amp? and will the above still work?

amagasakii
Canada

Post by amagasakii » 03 Dec 2019 19:20

hoffmana3 wrote:
02 Dec 2019 17:40
Thank you all so very much for all of the help
A friend just offered me a JVC RX-701V digital surround sound system reciever, that being said, i would just need speakers at this point correct? or do i still need to also get a pre amp? and will the above still work?
Far as I can tell that amp has a phono input (so built-in preamp). If you want to use that, you need to get passive speakers, i.e., not the powered ones I suggested earlier.