Garrard SL95B, Auto feature no longer works

snap, crackle and pop
CFJP
United States of America

Garrard SL95B, Auto feature no longer works

Post by CFJP » 22 Nov 2019 20:15

Hi all,
This is my first time on your forum and I wish to thank you for offering owner and service manuals for turntables.

I bought this Garrard SL95B in 1971 as a wedding gift to myself along with the first Quadraphonic system on the market, Lafayette, and used it faithfully for many years and it worked flawlessly. I stopped using it about 20 years ago but still stored it in the cabinet. Now my son has an interest in it so I hooked it up to my newer JVC 5.1 receiver and it played well manually right from the start. I will need a new stylist at a minimum but still sounds decent.

However the auto play feature doesn't work and I would like to fix that for him. With the help of the diagram I found on your site I was able to get it to work upside down by trial and error by pushing the "Trip Lever", PN74300. It takes a bit of force to push it and the white plastic "Cam Index Lever" PN 44973 is a bit hard to move even with fresh lubrication. Also the spring, PN44948, is missing and nowhere to be found. the auto feature works properly for all the different record size settings and locates the stylist in the correct location. Also I cannot get the auto stop to work with all my attempts to move levers with the unit upside down, etc. So it appears that 1) getting the correct spring and 2) freeing up the mechanism should get the auto play feature operational.

So I have the following questions:
1. Where can I buy the missing spring. PN 44948? If not available is it possible to provide the specs on the spring, i.e. wire dia, number of coils, overall length, material, and if possible spring rate?
2. How can I free up the mechanism, especially the Cam Index Lever and friction lever?
3. How do I get the unit to automatically return the tone arm to the rest position and shut off. Presently I shut the system off by manually returning the arm to rest and push the manual ON/OFF lever OFF.
4. Are there any other helpfully hints you can offer?
Any assistance you can offer would be appreciated. I wish to past this wonderful technology and sound onto my son.
Thanks
Cliff

nat
long player
long player

Re: Garrard SL95B, Auto feature no longer works

Post by nat » 22 Nov 2019 21:48

My experience with these tables is that you have to take the main cam off to do any kind of long term successful job, since you really need to disassemble the various cams and clean the old lubricant from both the posts and the inside of the cam.
I'd just try any likely looking spring - they can be cut down to size (unfortunately not the other direction), and I suspect that the exact amount of tension isn't too important.

KentT
long player
long player

Post by KentT » 22 Nov 2019 23:31

Also, all that old dried out, turns to cement grease must go. New lubrication where called for. No shortcuts, before this changer will work correctly again.

amagasakii
Canada

Post by amagasakii » 23 Nov 2019 06:05

Hi CFJP,

You'll want to poke through the Garrard forum; other than the exact specs for spring 44948 you'll find hundreds of helpful posts (especially when they include pictures!)

nat and KentT have you broadly covered. In order to fix your SL-95B you're going to need to disassemble it, clean off the old grease, and put it back together. That's exactly what I've had to do to my Garrards. :-)
CFJP wrote:
22 Nov 2019 20:15
[...] by pushing the "Trip Lever", PN74300. It takes a bit of force to push it and the white plastic "Cam Index Lever" PN 44973 is a bit hard to move even with fresh lubrication.
KentT is right: You can't take shortcuts. It tried; it just ends up being extra work. The old grease has turned either into glue or cement. Loosening and cleaning everything is going to require isopropyl alcohol and, in my experience, at least one piece is going to need a lot of heat.

CFJP
United States of America

Re: Garrard SL95B, Auto feature NOW works

Post by CFJP » 24 Nov 2019 13:44

Thanks to you all for your valued hints and direction. I had already cleaned and lubricated the other pivots. I finally decide to "bang" out the Cam Index Lever, which took more force than I expected but finally was removed. What was left in the hole was the cement you referred to. I sized out a bit and drilled out the hardened lubricant from the hole and re-lubed everything. I also found a small spring in my stash that worked to replace the missing spring. The auto feature works like new!
The original Auto-Technique Series V cartridge is still installed and both channels sound good. I replaced the stylus a few times over the years and found a replacement for this stylus on LP Gear. I can get that or replace the entire cartridge. Can you recommend a replacement cartridge for my Garrard SL95B and would you recommend replacing the entire assembly or just the stylus?
Thanks again for your help
Cliff

Belmont

Post by Belmont » 24 Nov 2019 17:59

Congratulations on resurrecting that worthy ol’ beast! And for hanging on to it for so long!

If you can still find styli for your cartridge, then it should be fine. However, if you want a new cartridge, then I would recommend something along the lines of an Audio Technica AT91 or the new AT-VM95c, or possibly an AT-VM95e or Grado Black. I’ve personally had good luck mounting all of these in my SL95!

amagasakii
Canada

Re: Garrard SL95B, Auto feature NOW works

Post by amagasakii » 25 Nov 2019 05:22

Glad it worked out! That Garrard cement is something else; hard to believe it was ever lubricant.

I'm not a cartridge guy, but if you like the sound of the existing cartridge, you may as well just replace the stylus. If it turns out you don't like the sound, you're only out the price of the stylus (and you can flog it on eBay as a "vintage stylus" for three times what you paid for the styus, judging from the prices I've seen. ;-) )