Glass Platter for RP1

snap, crackle and pop
vintagefinderseeker
United States of America

Glass Platter for RP1

Post by vintagefinderseeker » 22 Nov 2019 19:25

Hi All - I have a Rega RP1 and I am looking to upgrade to a glass (acrylic) platter. I see 10mm and 12mm options. Can an RP1 handle either? Do I need to be concerned with arm height (I'm not wanting to add a spacer)? Is a 12mm too heavy for an RP1? Thanks in advance for your help

brubacca

Re: Glass Platter for RP1

Post by brubacca » 22 Nov 2019 20:16

I have a new Planar 2. It has the 10mm glass platter for use with the Carbon Cartridge.

You table should be able to use either, your cartridge will determine which one or a cartridge you want to change to.

I think if you have any rega cart above the Carbon you'll want the 12mm.

Anything else probably the 10mm. How thick is the one on there now?

VE_sound_person

Post by VE_sound_person » 22 Nov 2019 20:26

I would check with a Rega dealer, or Rega themselves if this is a viable option. I suspect that the glass platter is a little too heavy for the RP1's motor, even the thinner one on P2's and the newer P3. That being said, if a dealer is close enough to visit, they could easily swap a glass platter for you to try in person to see and hear if it works to your liking. Again, IF it's even a viable option. I'd ask first. Native Rega parts like platters, tonearms and sub-platters aren't cheap. A different sub-platter may be necessary and may not be compatible with the RP1. Also, glass and acrylic aren't the same thing. I would look into the RP1 Performance Pack before considering a different platter. If a cartridge upgrade isn't your thing at least consider the white belt upgrade. Even stock, the RP1 is a very musical sounding turntable. IMO..

vintagefinderseeker
United States of America

Post by vintagefinderseeker » 23 Nov 2019 18:04

Thanks brubacca and VE. I should have mentioned this in my OP. With the new platter I am planning to add the white upgrade belt, and my cart is an Elys 2. I have read that I will likely get more impact out of an upgraded platter than an upgraded sub-platter, so that's where I was planning to start. I did measure my stock platter and it appears to be 18mm thick. Does that sound right?? If I'm correct, it doesn't seem the thickness of a 10mm or 12mm will be an issue. But I am still curious about weight. Does anyone out there know if an RP1 motor can handle the weight of a Rega 12mm glass platter? I certainly don't want to do any long-term damage to the motor.

Mr Pig
Scotland

Post by Mr Pig » 23 Nov 2019 18:59

I have tried the RP1 with both the plastic and glass platter. The glass works fine but the sad truth is that there is not a huge difference in the sound. I knew Rega had said that but I tried it anyway and they're not lying.

Fine if you can pick up a glass platter cheaply but I wouldn't spend a lot on one. In fact I wouldn't dump a lot of money into an RP1, period. Fantastic deck for the money, love it to bits, but if you have money to burn I'd look at selling the RP1 and buying a whole nutha Rega.